Dual purpose catridge?

Hi newbie asking newbie style question. I was thinking about the cartridges I use for hunting Express supreme game 32g 6s and clay cartridges Express HV 28g 7.5s . My question is ..would it be irisponsible to use a clay cartridge for game purposes? Logic says that if you are on target its a dead un but what about the winging factor is it liable to be higher with a clay cartridge? Or is this practice a no no?

jp

If you want one cartridge does all - go for a 28g fibre wad no 7.

When it comes to the game work, tighten up a choke on what you would use for clays.

As you say, you will need to be a tad more accurate, but with the tighter pattern the lighter load will do the work at ranges out to about 40 yds.

The only time this load will start to let you down for game work is bigger quarry at distance.

Edited by clayman

Thanks Clayman I thought something the same. I think as a relative newcomer to shotgun shooting I was more concerned that a 7.5 at 1350 vs a 6 at 1450 might lead to more runners than is acceptable,when another cartridge might be a better choise. I only shoot pheasants, partridge, woodcock and of course woodies so larger game is not a problem.

Dead - eye If you think I am about to chase after a runner pheasant when a dog can do it for me no thanks I normally just stretch their necks. :rolleyes:

Dead - eye If you think I am about to chase after a runner pheasant when a dog can do it for me no thanks I normally just stretch their necks. :rolleyes:

I personally wouldnt send my dog to fetch a crow or magpie that is still alive. I value my dog to much to leave a crow peck it in the eye, i rather just give the crow another shot.

I use 28 gr Rio clay target cartridges in no 6 with good success on pigeons. I was given some 30 gr 7 1\2s some years ago. I found they had a very narrow effective range between 25 and 35 yards. Any further and they were too weak to produce clean kills and any closer and they hit the bird with far too many pellets.

Hi Plinker

No I don't think you are missing anything. My question was really borne form the thought that given the the cost of cartridges it would be nice to be able to use one type for both disciplines. Given that 500 decent clay cartridges costs~ £100 and ~ £140 for the game it would be great if one would do. I know of course you can buy 50 at a time but that is an even more expensive route. I was in fact trying to gain an idea of the thinking of the experienced shooter, as a novice I would be tempted at times to have a bash with a clay load but is it really a fair hunting method?

jp

ive bashed pigeons and crows (still do the odd time) with 28gm 7.5's, normally try to keep the range as close as possible, though i prefer using 32gm 6's - its a pretty much catch all hunting cartridge imho; rabbits, crows, pigeons, pheasants, a 6 will deal with it all.

is there any reason you cant just buy a couple of cartons of each?

After recently purchasing a 20G S/S for the first time I purchased 16 boxes of carts made up of four different types/makes.

I've only three or four boxes left now but I know exactly which ones I'll be using in future.

The best way to decide I believe is to try a selection yourself and see which ones you like and feel most comfortable with your gun.

Cheers

Edited by Santlache

hi ,i am not trying to be rude or off putting but if you are going to shoot live game /vermin you should do your best to kill it cleanly as i am sure you are aware.

most of the time a game load will do this better than a clay load.

get your self some 30g no6 they are a good allrounder for rough shooting.

even clay shooting you will find yourself using different cartridges for differnt disciplines, 9 for skeet 8 or 7.5 for sporting etc.plastic wad/fibre wad depending on the ground you are shooting.

thats the worst thing about shooting it hovers up cash :good:

Edited by plinker