Game Keeping

me and a friend are thinking of starting a small shoot. unfortunatly our land isnt particulary steep so we cant get high birds.

we have 300acres arable and 300acres grassland with two small lakes 20 acres of woods and a small marsh/moor full of snipe. what could we do to get birds flying?

on this sort of land how many pheasant should be put down first year? is it worth putting partridges down? and what game cover should we use?

I wouldnt bother with the partridges,spend the money on some ducks instead as you say you have 2 small lakes.As for how many pheasants, it depends on how well they are going to hold on your patch.Its no good putting loads down if they are going to wander next door and everywhere.Start small and work up till you get to a level where your wandering birds are more than your holding birds,then you know you have reached a peak

well said blackbart, starting small is a good idea.

Ducks seem to be the way forward for a lot of shoots up north, seems that bag sizes on pheasant and partrige have been well down this year up here and the ducks have saved the day. If they are fed and looked after well they will be tremendous sport, and the good thing is they will come back to the water as they know there is feed there for them.

also if you intend to keep the land for a long time maybe look into planting out some fast growing trees were you think it may be possible to make birds climb above them for shooting

alll the best though plenty hard enjoyable work ahead...

john

Its very hard to help without checking out the land and woods, but in terms of how many birds, it depends how big your wallet is?

If you are a beginner then i would seriously take time before wasting money on birds, because without knowledge you will loose them all. It would be well worth buying a Gamekeeping book, beause there are so many tricks that cannont be explained on here.

Depending whether its a DIY shoot or you intend on selling days then, it all depends but at the end of the more the merrier!

Where are you? Best thing is face to face help, set up a meet and have some google earth maps ready with some ideas so you can plan your phases for works and hopeful drives with someone who is willing to help and local. Offer a few drinks and you might have some luck.

• 2 weeks later...

spoken to a friend who works on a local syndicate, we decided to go for pheasants ( it may be Ex-Layers) and mallard. My dads going to be planting maize and kale which we can use as cover crop. we will probably split the pheasant into 2 pens hopefully everything will be okay and run smoothly

P.s. to cover the cost of a few things, how much could i sell a days shooting for 4/5 guns. it would be a walked up day just a rough estimate would be appreciated!

Edited by Fishleigh

on an unknown shoot if you can put on a days shooting you should be able to ask at least £100 per gun per day. for that they would feel short changed if they shot less than 20 but if you could get them 30 it would be cheap. But it should cover a fair bit of your costs

well the way we do it at the minute, just a wild bird shoot over 300 acres, 5 feeders. our average bag this year has been pheasant duck woodcock snipe, our biggest was pheasant duck woodcock and snipe along with partridges. i think the birds hold well so we should be able to offer a bag of 25/30. i wouldnt count any vermin in the bag, but woodcock and snipe would be counted, is that okay? i wouldnt want to have a formal day, just enjoyable and safe,. i was thinking about £75 would be exceptable ( not including a meal )

Edited by Fishleigh