rotary speed controller.

Cranfield

I have a speed controller for my rotary and it has never been a problem.

At the moment I am shooting almost daily and went to use the rotary one day last week and it didn't work.

I checked all the connections and they were fine and so I assumed I had not connected it properly when recharging the battery the night before.

The next day, the same thing happened again, but as I knew I had charged it properly, I removed the speed controller from the loop and the rotary worked fine.

Assuming the speed controller was broken, I ordered another one.

It arrived today and I have set the rotary up and it still won't go with the new speed controller in the loop (but works perfectly without it).

The chances of the new item being faulty are 1000's to one,so it has to be something else.

Any sensible ideas would be welcomed.

silly questions, but have you changed the fuse (if yours has one)?

mine keeps blowing the fuse as the croc clips aren't too good and tend to slide about.

sorry ignore that - just re-read your post about getting a new one!

but it could still be blowing the fuse when you connect it each time, i know mine has to be off when you connect

or else it blows the fuse immediately

Edited by nickbeardo

Most electronic speed controlers are polarity critical, some have polarity protection, in other words they must be connected + to + and -to - check the feed in from the battery is correct, if there is no polarity protection the unit can blow , if polarity protection is fitted no harm is done usualy but the unit will not operate. or check the fuse :)

Assuming the magnet runs at full speed without the controller the problem has to be poor connections or in the unit itself. A quick check with a multimeter should quickly show fault. If all else fails the seller of the unit may be able to advise or I am sure some member near you must have auto/electrical skills.

Hi Cranfield,

I think it could be a dirty contact, i.e the on/off switch or even dirty brushes on the motor causing the problem (acting like a resistor). There might be enough voltage when directly connected to the battery for it to operate ok. But when the speed controller is added the power switching transistor is another point in the circuit that can act as a resistor and therefore dropping some of the battery voltage. The points highlighted can be checked with a multimeter, the brushes can be cleaned either with an electrical contact cleaning solvent or if possible dismatel the motor and gently clean the brushes with some emery cloth or sandpaper. (remember to blow the dust out before reassembling).

I hope this helps.

Agent36

I have similar problems from time to time and it's usually one of two things; either the fuse OR the unit must be turned off before being connected to the battery/machine. Mind you I can't say I've ever noticed much difference in the power of the machine to decoy birds at different speeds and think they're like so much else in the world of pigeon shooting equipment...designed to catch you rather than the birds! :)

My rotary and new speed controller are now working pefectly.

The problem was that the old speed controller had no separate fuse and some important element inside had become corroded and in effect "fused" the unit.

Incredibly, my new speed controller arrived with a broken ceramic fuse in it.

The fuse was "broken" according to my electrician, not "blown".

Replaced the fuse and all is well. :good:

Hi cranfied

Glad our telephone conversation was on the right track regarding the fault with your magnet (see my post above). Can you let me have some more details ref the broken fuse, so I can look out for the problem in the future. All my units are tested before sending them out to ensure 100% satisfaction.

kind regards

Edited by Agent36