wounded deer

boom boom

was out this afternoon with the 22 and shotgun was after some rabbits withthe

22 then at dusk was going to have a shot at the ducks ,anyway the farmer

comes down asks if iv seen the roe deer with the broken leg said its in the next field

so down we go ,sure enough there it is ,leg swinging so he asked me to shoot it

the deer looked in good condition apart from the obvious ,i managed to walk to

within 20 yards and shot it with shotgun on examining the leg it was completly

broke hanging only by skin but it was fully healed ,no blood ,no bone showing

i know if it was ok i would never have got close enough to shoot it ,i know i did

the right thing :welcomeani: but what do you think :good:

I dont know the situation Boom Boom? Is this in an area where the Deer have a lot of human contact? I do not know what preditors you have in the UK other than dogs? But to ease your mind i would.. I shoot the Deer around me because we have so damn many and their antlers are puny and frail (Poor gene pool) but did the happy farmer split the booty with you :welcomeani:

Hi guys,im new to PW, would like to hear from someone who shoots in linconshire,also looking for some once fired 22 250 brass, i dont have many shooting buddies as this sport seems to be a little forbiden to the general puplic.

Sorry for butting in but i still dont know how to use this site or place a post...

You did the right thing, I would have used the .22 though (assuming you mean rimfire not airgun)

hi stuartp it was a rimfire but iv shot a lot of deer with my 243 but never

with a 22 or shotgun i thought the shotgun would have been more humane

just incase a misplaced .22 :good:

cheers tam bb

Depends on the conditions on your FAC against the .22,though i would imagine it would be unlikely you'd get into trouble for destroying an injured animal.

A good pal of mine almost had his FAC revoked when he destroyed an injured Roe buck with his .22-250 after it

had been hit by a car, the boys in blue tried to do him because he didn't have the 'deer'

condition attached to his .22-250.

This is an extreme case (hopefully) and common sense did not prevail on that day, but my pal says he will

always use a shotgun in future.

Under Section 25 of the Deer (Scotland) Act an injured deer can be dispatched with a weapon other than those normally allowed. Although strictly speaking a breach of your FAC conditions surely no right minded copper would argue against preventing the continued suffering of an animal by using a .22 rimmy?

On the other hand, given the choice I think I would have used the shotgun also. As said previously, you did the right thing.

ATB,

Jonno.

Deer(Scotland)Act 1996-

25 Action intended to prevent suffering A person shall not be guilty of an offence against this Act or any order made under this Act in respect of any act done for the purpose of preventing suffering by—

(a) an injured or diseased deer; or

by any deer calf, fawn or kid deprived, or about to be deprived, of its mother.

Came up with this in google,can see no mention of class of firearm.

Edited by mr smith

OK, common sense time.

'My' deer was put out of it's misery with what I had with me, and it died instantly.

If I had driven the 10 mile round trip to gome home and get the approved tool for the job it would have a died a slow and miserable death before I had returned.

I was fairly upset about the situation anyway, that would have just made it worse.

I am surprised that you were able to get that close to a deer that still had three good legs . It would surgest to me that the deer had some kind of other injuries that wasent apparant ,maybe some internal wounds if hit by a car . I to have dispatched wounded deer with a shot gun and have no qualms whatso ever about doing it . The shot gun is as humane as it gets up close . I have also stalked deer in the states with a shot gun and have shot several white tail deer over there and all have been one shot clean kills . The shot gun is ideal for the despatch of wounded deer and i will go so far as to say that i would rather use the shot gun up close than i would my .308 .

Harnser .

OK, common sense time.

'My' deer was put out of it's misery with what I had with me, and it died instantly.

If I had driven the 10 mile round trip to gome home and get the approved tool for the job it would have a died a slow and miserable death before I had returned.

I was fairly upset about the situation anyway, that would have just made it worse.

yh man what did you use?:good: (the first thing that came to mind when i read that was you walking up to a deer with a golf club and clonking it once in the back of the skull and killing it cleanly :unsure: )

Mark

It'll work, but you really don't want to use anything bigger than a .410, if you've ever shot a deer at 2 foot, I'm pretty sure you'd know why.

hi bleeh i have shot a few things with a 410 but never a deer but basically if your

dispatching a wounded deer any shotgun will do,at a sensible range