Clay ground in or near Manchester.

Guinea Fowl

Afternoon chaps.

I am looking for a good clay shoot in or near Manchester.

I don`t have my SGC yet, so ill need a club where i can beg, borrow, ok hire a gun till i can get my own.

I have found a load of clubs on google and on BASC, but i wouldl like to know from people that have been there and would like to recommend it.

The wife would also kill me if i molest our bank account so i would prefer a club that is reasonable in price but good value for money.

Sorry if this has been ask before, i just want to find a good place.

Regards.

Edited by Guinea Fowl

Hi, like yourself Iam still waiting for my SGC, i recently went to

http://www.manchesterclayshooting.com/

which was a great day out, and couldn't recommand it anymore if I treid...

I went with some freinds that have SGC's and I lent a gun from one of them.

The best thing you can do is either find a mate, thats willing to goto the ground with you, and lend you a gun, or give Worsely a ring, and see if you can hire a gun for your round, I'vce seen places that do it for free were as other charge £3 - some £10

I would still think you need to accompanied by an experienced SGC holder on a 1 to 1 basis, and maybe also need a safety lesson before your let loose..

this is certianly the case at other grounds I've shot at..

prices for clays and cart's which of course you won't be able to buy, were pretty average at worsly, not a cheap afternoon out, but clay shootin isn't a cheap hobby...

Edited by Ian E

I like Worsley too. Nice surroundings and people and some interesting targets. It comes in for some criticism sometimes, but it's usually from people who can't hit the targets :unsure: :blush::blush:

They certainly hire out guns, but I think I'm right in saying they're always in great demand, as they do a lot of corporate stuff there. You'd need to book it in advance and even then I don't think it's easy, unless you've also booked a lesson with a coach :good:

As Ian says, the best thing is to tag along with an SGC holder and use their gun. I'm often there on Saturdays, but I'm getting a bit erratic (not there this Saturday for instance as shooting a competition at Catton Hall on Sunday)

You'd be welcome to tag along with us when I am there, if you can stand the grief (merciless pi$s-taking) but not sure exactly the next time I'll be there at the moment :yes:

The times when we start shooting are getting erratic as well, due to work commitments and stupidity :good:

Edited by Chard

If you are new to shooting Worsley are currently doing a deal - 5 lessons (normally 1 on 1) of 50 birds and a years club membership. Can't remember if it is £250 or £300 now but at £55 per lesson and £60 for membership it is not a bad deal.

Membership benefits £20 per 100 not £22 and currently a free 100 after 10 rounds - not an awful lot but it does bring the cost down a bit.

D

hoi hoi

Yb and Chard. have you been to lymm SC. MCW65 was telling me about and i think he said it was 7 quid for 50. if you fancy giving it a go ( it is i think a hay bale shoot) mail me.

jim

P.S YB i thought you were going to use an nine iron for that teal Only those who have seen YB's cart will get the joke

hoi hoi

Yb and Chard. have you been to lymm SC. MCW65 was telling me about and i think he said it was 7 quid for 50. if you fancy giving it a go ( it is i think a hay bale shoot) mail me.

jim

P.S YB i thought you were going to use an nine iron for that teal Only those who have seen YB's cart will get the joke

I wouldn't mind a bit of a hay bale :blush: :unsure: :good:

Never heard of Lymm SC :yes:

Do you know where it is Jim? (Apart from at Lymm :blush: )

I can take my rod and have a session at Lymm Dam if the shooting's ****. What cartridges do you recommend for Perch? :good:

for perch use a no.6 spoon. or hull cartridge lobworm.

I will check but apparently it is through lymm to the end of the village and turn right. it migh bring us out near thelwell. i will mail him and let you know

YB not enough pitch with a three wood on no 8.

jim

I like Worsley too. Nice surroundings and people and some interesting targets. It comes in for some criticism sometimes, but it's usually from people who can't hit the targets :unsure: :blush::blush:

They certainly hire out guns, but I think I'm right in saying they're always in great demand, as they do a lot of corporate stuff there. You'd need to book it in advance and even then I don't think it's easy, unless you've also booked a lesson with a coach :good:

As Ian says, the best thing is to tag along with an SGC holder and use their gun. I'm often there on Saturdays, but I'm getting a bit erratic (not there this Saturday for instance as shooting a competition at Catton Hall on Sunday)

You'd be welcome to tag along with us when I am there, if you can stand the grief (merciless pi$s-taking) but not sure exactly the next time I'll be there at the moment :yes:

The times when we start shooting are getting erratic as well, due to work commitments and stupidity :good:

Thank you Chard.

I will keep you in mind, i have some of me plumbing exams coming up in a thew weeks so i am in no rush, when the time is right ill pm you.

Thanks again and to others that replied.

Regards.

If you are new to shooting Worsley are currently doing a deal - 5 lessons (normally 1 on 1) of 50 birds and a years club membership. Can't remember if it is £250 or £300 now but at £55 per lesson and £60 for membership it is not a bad deal.

Membership benefits £20 per 100 not £22 and currently a free 100 after 10 rounds - not an awful lot but it does bring the cost down a bit.

D

Thanks Yellow Bear, i am new to clays only but have been shooting since a little kid, in South Africa you get born with a rifle in your right hand. :good:

I wouldn't mind a bit of a hay bale :lol:;):lol:

Never heard of Lymm SC :lol:

Do you know where it is Jim? (Apart from at Lymm :hmm: )

I can take my rod and have a session at Lymm Dam if the shooting's ****. What cartridges do you recommend for Perch? ???

Chard

There is a clay club that is in Lymm it's called The Star Gun Club and is located under the Thelwall viaduct on the M6 - Honestly

They shoot every other Sunday morning, a 50 bird sporting, and seems a very friendly sort of place, it's a while since I've been there but you can contact the owner, Ged, on 01925 756379 or 07979 232261.

To be honest Chard I don't think it's a very challenging shoot and as you seem to be on the very brink of super stardom I'm sure you wouldn't be impressed.

Mr Potter

Is that the 9 weeks wonder corse or a propper apentiship??

D

3 years mate.

I will finish my first year in end of April, if all goes well then year 1 will lead to

-City & Guilds 6022-2 Copper Pipework Installation

-City & Guilds 6032 Sanitary accomodation installation, maintenance and design

-BPEC-Water supply (Water Fitting) Regulations 1999

-BPEC- Shower installation module

Year 2

-City & Guilds 6128 Domestic Heating and ventilation technical certificate

-City &Guilds 6084 Energy efficiency certificate

Year 3

-BPEC/GORGI certification Part P defined scope electrical qualification

-BPEC hot water heating solar energy certification

-CITB certification in domestic unvented hot water storage systems

I am not going to stop here but have to get here first to move on.

I am doing it with Train for trade skill.

There is no bloody way any one can do this in 9 weeks!!!

Regards.

Edited by Guinea Fowl