My First Pheasant.. :D

the_haganizer

OK, before I start here I know that there are gna be a few people on here who will have a go at me for doing what I did but I must stress that I was 100% confident in getting a clean kill and it was a perfectly calm afternoon.

Well anyway, this morning, as per usual I stuck a few handfuls of corn outside in the garden when I trundled off to work at 5:30 so get a few of the pigeons that were floating around the area over the weekend in for when I got in just after lunch. Imagine my surprise when I peered out of the window to see a cock pheasant munching away on some of the rotting apples in the garden!! I watched him for around 10minutes before scooting off to get my air rifle from the new room and when I got back he was still there chomping away. I settled up and got him in the crosshairs when he started to walk away from me slightly, I was a little worried that I had spooked him by opening the window but he stopped after about 3 metres, so I checked that there was no wind again and took the shot. He went down straight away with a pellet through the back for the skull/ neck, and after a few death twitches it went still on the grass. It's now hanging out the back improving his flavour! :good:

The shot was taken at around 20yards, using a BSA Ultra multi .22 and Bisley Pest Control pellets

I will upload pictures as soon as I can get Picture manager to work.. :beer:

Robo

OK, before I start here I know that there are gna be a few people on here who will have a go at me for doing what I did but I must stress that I was 100% confident in getting a clean kill and it was a perfectly calm afternoon.

Well anyway, this morning, as per usual I stuck a few handfuls of corn outside in the garden when I trundled off to work at 5:30 so get a few of the pigeons that were floating around the area over the weekend in for when I got in just after lunch. Imagine my surprise when I peered out of the window to see a cock pheasant munching away on some of the rotting apples in the garden!! I watched him for around 10minutes before scooting off to get my air rifle from the new room and when I got back he was still there chomping away. I settled up and got him in the crosshairs when he started to walk away from me slightly, I was a little worried that I had spooked him by opening the window but he stopped after about 3 metres, so I checked that there was no wind again and took the shot. He went down straight away with a pellet through the back for the skull/ neck, and after a few death twitches it went still on the grass. It's now hanging out the back improving his flavour! :beer:

The shot was taken at around 20yards, using a BSA Ultra multi .22 and Bisley Pest Control pellets

I will upload pictures as soon as I can get Picture manager to work.. :good:

Robo

I'm beating you buy 27 :good: 44 if you include the season.

Edited by sirnovember

"Well anyway, this morning, as per usual I stuck a few handfuls of corn outside in the garden when I trundled off to work at 5:30 so get a few of the pigeons that were floating around the area over the weekend in for when I got in just after lunch."

Hope you're not baiting the area :hmm:

I hope you don't live near an estate where they shoot.

"Well anyway, this morning, as per usual I stuck a few handfuls of corn outside in the garden when I trundled off to work at 5:30 so get a few of the pigeons that were floating around the area over the weekend in for when I got in just after lunch."

Hope you're not baiting the area :good:

Why ? what do you think gamekeepers do :o

For the record if it was me i would of let it be as i do the woodpigeons i feed in my garden . but by feeding them he has not broke any laws as long as the pellet never left his garden .

Game not vermin :hmm:

Why ? what do you think gamekeepers do :o

For the record if it was me i would of let it be as i do the woodpigeons i feed in my garden . but by feeding them he has not broke any laws as long as the pellet never left his garden .

Game not vermin :hmm:

Thanks Magman,

But yeh anyway Dad also puts out the corn and seeds in the garden anyway for all the birdlife (he's not a shooter). I just put a much higher percentage of corn out rather than seed :good: Also I don't live near any estates, the nearest one to where I am is at least 15/20 miles, this pheasant hung round in the field out the back of my house last season (which is owned by family) but I never had a chance to shoot at him then.. :o

I have now managed to get the pictures to upload (hopefully) the window that I shot from is the one on the left of the house by the way.. :o

post-14555-1233085759.jpg

post-14555-1233085770.jpg

As an airgunner.

The phesants around my sites (100+) are now very hunter savvy so I stalk them when rabbits are hiding.

Increases my stalking skills and I actually will not shoot one unless it cant fly even if I am sure of the shot.

Its a game bird, I wont eat it, probably, so why shoot it? Its not a pest, it fact they look nice.

Rats, Crows and woodies on the other hand.. :wacko:

Carbon

Why ? what do you think gamekeepers do :no:

Game not vermin :no:

I didn't say anything about breaking laws :no: but the words - sporting, ethics and sitting duck spring to mind.