Ferals

jim_whitson

I presume I am correct in assuming that the ferel pigeon's diet is somewhat varied from their woody friends.

I believe the meat will tast quite a bit different due to the **** that they eat (and i'm not talking seed at tuppence a bag !!)

I would stay well away from them personally.

I may be wrong though ?

Over here we do not have woodies. The only pigeons we do have are barn, (ferel), or fanciers escapies. Now I am not sure how woodies compare in taste, but I do know that there is nothing wrong with the flavour of the birds that I shoot over here. Many a ferel, and lost racer has fallen to the gun and gone into the pot. Personally I only breast my birds. Stand on the outstretched wings with the head pointing towards you, and pull straight up on the legs. The body will pull away leaving you with a clean breast with 2 wings attatched. Clip off wings, give a good wash and you are ready to cook......give them a try you may find you start appriechiating them alot more.

my ferrets dont complain. i wouldnt eat a ferral, i believe they are good for starting a dog to retrieve feather as they have much tighter feathers than a woodie and this doesnt put the dog off like a loose feathered woodie.

Be careful, my mate fed a feral to his ferret and it was inexplicably dead the next day !. Could be coincidence but not really worth the risk IMHO.

i think ive posted this before.i used to work with a guy that lived in a block of flats and he would regularly catch the ferals that used to land on his balcony and eat them.as far as i know he never came to any harm however he was a little strange as he used to remove the leg rings from the racers and wear them in his dreadlocked hair ;)

As far as i know, most of the horrible diseases that ferals carry are parasites and things in their feathers; like rats, you're not supposed to touch them. But I'm slightly encouraged by Cranfield and mel... Especially mel; I also have dreadlocks, so maybe some leg rings would be nice... ;-P

In which case, you're all invited to mine for pigeon pie! hehehehe.

A pest controller once told me that the ferel pigeon, germ for germ carry more nasties that the brown rat.

I personally give my fereals to the owner of a commercial fishery, who freezes them, and in the summer, thaws them out to make the biggest maggots you ever seen!!!!! :)

Paul in North Lincs

Re. the maggots: mmmmmmmm. lovely. I can see how flying rats would make excellent maggots... I might have to try that, although her indoors might not like it... ;-)

Re. diseases: I've heard similar things, but I can't find any real science yet... Still looking though; I'm not going to take any chances!