.17 WHY SO MANY FOR SALE?

Malinois

I have a 452 .17hmr Style and a 10/22 target both with moderators, bought them the same day i got my licence, i did think twice about buying 2 guns but after taking them out the same morning to zero them i took them lamping and found myself taking both guns with me, i used the .22lr for walking about where i couldn`t get my vehicle in then swapped to the .17hmr for shooting from my vehicle, i found doing it that way saved me money because i was using cheap and more expensive ammo. The other plus point is i go lamping with the landowners full time guy and his son and they have .22lr, i turn up with my .17hmr and get all the stuf they can`t hope to reach, which realy annoys them.

EDIT:- forgot to add i wouldn`t give up either of them 2 very handy tools for different situations.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

To be honest chaps, if cost is a major factor in your shooting, you have the wrong hobby. Shooting is expensive.

I love my 17, and my 22 and my centrefires, they all have their own place in my requirements and will always have a place in my cabinet

I bought a ready to go second hand CZ hmr (shortened barrel, trigger done and mod already in and on) and it is the cheapest but most useful rifle in my cabinet - it really can do just about anything. It's a real fun rifle as well.

Since I got the HMR the tricked up 10/22 .22RF hasn't be used at all. I was toying with the idea of getting rid or rather changing up for .22 Hornet just to see what all the fuss is about.

I've got a 22lr, 17HMR and a 22-250.

Out of all of them I'd be most willing to get rid of the 22lr.

The HMR is a wickedly nasty little round for bunny & corvid control. Just point and click all the way out to 110yrds. But, it's not man enough for foxing IMO.

Me and my shooting mate both have HMRs and centrefires. One night I'll take the HMR and he'll take his centrefire, the next night we swap over.

I'll never sell my HMR!

I put mine up for sale, but then removed the advert when I was offered some additional rabbit shooting. For my own needs, the .17 HMR is relatively superfluous. For me, the combination of .22LR, .22-250 and a shotgun do me well for high-volume rabbit, fox and hare control. The .17 HMR is great for picking off rabbits on summer evenings, but it would be the first gun I chose to ditch. I would replace it with a .22 Hornet, or a semi-auto .22 WMR, both better foxing rounds.

I would imagine that the recession has led a lot of Shots to assess what guns they actually need.

Hi,

Have to agree with Baldrick. In the rush to .17hmr, everyone, it seems, forgot about the .22wmr. Provided they suit your rifle, the 40gr WRS for short (100yds plus) range fox and 150yds with the Remington 33gr for rabbit takes some beating.

sold my .22 rimfire because i couldn't put up with the cr*p accuracy, and it didn't make sense. i have a pre charged air rifle for the small ranges and the .17hmr does everything else. accuracy makes it cheaper per head of bunny. i have been witness to people using bigger and faster rounds for rabbits and dont like the idea. as for wind deflection, all rifles suffer to some extent. take the time to learn your rifle's tragectory in ALL conditions and you will shoot better. you dont have to go bigger to combat wind etc. just shoot better

if you want to see how good this round (.17HMR) is against old dog charlie, go and buy sporting rifle mag. the article in apr09 issue, about richard faulds fox shooting with his .17hmr........ confirmed fox out to 175 yds witnessed by the mag itself. he also goes on to say that he takes foxes out to 200 yds!!!!

personally i have only had fox out to 100yds with shots in the chest. never seen one move other than straight to the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

There must be an explanation for the significant differences in opinion relating to the ability of the .17HMR particularly with respect to foxes - perhaps it's a variation in the rounds?

My first ever shot using an HMR dropped a big dog fox, stone dead, at 163 long paces (I'm 6ft tall) - that may or may not be 160 yds but it was witnessed and is a bl00dy long way.

I can group my .22lr within an inch at 75 yards, which I suspect is no more, pehaps slightly less, than average but the HMR just makes me feel so much more confident - just aim, fire and kill.

Cheers

Mike

To be honest chaps, if cost is a major factor in your shooting, you have the wrong hobby. Shooting is expensive.

Well isn't it nice to be Mr Moneybags.

I think, you'll find that cost IS a major factor with 99% of this forum, and any penny saving tips are quiet welcome.

Well isn't it nice to be Mr Moneybags.

I think, you'll find that cost IS a major factor with 99% of this forum, and any penny saving tips are quiet welcome.

cost is mentioned all the time with the HMR though when in reality its not much differnt to buying shotgun cartridges, and they're not cheap.

I agree cost is a factor to be considerd by most shooters. we all have a budget whether it is £500 a year or £200,00 per year. But to be honest if you want to kill rabbits there are cheaper ways to do it than shooting, ferreting for example. I had both .22 and .17Hmr but I found the Hmr more fun so got rid of the .22 because I stoped using it. The fact It was costing me 17p instead of 4p to kill a rabbit was not a significant factor. at the time I was only shooting a few hundred rabbits a year and it didn't break my bank. I am not shooting many rabbits at the moment and spend all my time stalking so my .17hmr will be on the market soon.

Dave