DREY POKING

NELL

Hi guy's, i cut a young ash tree (7m) and off we set to poke some dreys,never having done this before soon discovered the fun we been missing out on.In an hour we had bagged 9 with 1 escapee ;):good:. Ive been checking out some other dreys on the farm, but fear they are out of reach of my big stick :lol:

What are you guy's using to get at the higher ones 10 or 15m?:lol:

Apart from an ounce of lead :lol: that is

RGS

NELL

I shoot them out with a heavy load. 42g of #1 works a treat through 1/4 choke. You need to be able to see the back of the drey blow out otherwise you could injure what's inside. If the pellets make it through the centre of the drey then whatever is inside will be dead :good:

we use 7 poles which which latch together and total 48 foot. which can be very heavy however we can reach pretty much everydrey and do a good job.

we don't shoot the dreys more damge then good IMO! i also don't advise shooting the dreys but those who do it don't listen so cba to waste my breath explaining.

poke the dreys out the trees. you will be doing a great job and really helps to keep fit.

keep up the good work

charlie

p.s squirrels will reapir damaged dreys so its better to knock em right out and make em work harder.

Edited by charlie 1

Cheers for replies guy's. I did think that knocking the dreys down was a good idea as i would no they are new and not wrecked ones.

Found some telescopic poles on the net, up to 10m, they are for flying wind socks on, so not sure how manley they would be, anybody seen..used them?;)?

very cheap :good:

NELL

we use 7 poles which which latch together and total 48 foot. which can be very heavy however we can reach pretty much everydrey and do a good job.

we don't shoot the dreys more damge then good IMO! i also don't advise shooting the dreys but those who do it don't listen so cba to waste my breath explaining.

poke the dreys out the trees. you will be doing a great job and really helps to keep fit.

keep up the good work

charlie

p.s squirrels will reapir damaged dreys so its better to knock em right out and make em work harder.

Please explain Charlie, im all ears......eyes

keep up the good work

charlie

Please explain Charlie, im all ears......eyes

NELL

Sorry if i'm telling my granny how to suck eggs ,but if there's reds in the area you should not really be disturbing dreys. i know people who carefuly poke them with decoy poles , then if a grey pops out give it a lead sandwhich . Hope this makes sense .Keep up the good work stemming the grey tide . :good:;)

its a number of things m8 really.

by shooting the dreys there is a very high chance of wounding a squirrel and not knowing as they are very tough and you can never tell if there is a squirrel in a drey so we owe the respect to the squirrels not to shoot if we cannot get to it. same with shooting any quarry.

also owls and other other non pest species nest in old dreys which again cannot be identified, so shooting into a drey could result in hitting an owl which is illigal.

dreys damage trees, where the dreys sit in the tree will make that part of the tree rott. we have seen it alot when pushing the dreys in a wood we havn't done before, you can tell which dreys have been there a long time as the part of the tree will be rotten.

and also it is a great way to keep track of how many squirrels there are if they have to build all the homes again, for example when you go back to the same wood a couple of months later if there are 6-7 dreys then you know there will be a few squirrels.

so for slightly harder work you get alot more benifits. and you will start to get known for doing the job properly. unlike all the rest who just walk through shooting the dreys.

Sorry if i'm telling my granny how to suck eggs ,but if there's reds in the area you should not really be disturbing dreys. i know people who carefuly poke them with decoy poles , then if a grey pops out give it a lead sandwhich . Hope this makes sense .Keep up the good work stemming the grey tide . :good:;)

There are still some reds in the area, but FAR more greys. Thats why shooting the dreys is out of the question,iv'e been trapping the greys latley, but drey poking was a far quicker fix, hav'nt bolted any reds yet so no harm done...

NELL

its a number of things m8 really.

by shooting the dreys there is a very high chance of wounding a squirrel and not knowing as they are very tough and you can never tell if there is a squirrel in a drey so we owe the respect to the squirrels not to shoot if we cannot get to it. same with shooting any quarry.

also owls and other other non pest species nest in old dreys which again cannot be identified, so shooting into a drey could result in hitting an owl which is illigal.

dreys damage trees, where the dreys sit in the tree will make that part of the tree rott. we have seen it alot when pushing the dreys in a wood we havn't done before, you can tell which dreys have been there a long time as the part of the tree will be rotten.

and also it is a great way to keep track of how many squirrels there are if they have to build all the homes again, for example when you go back to the same wood a couple of months later if there are 6-7 dreys then you know there will be a few squirrels.

so for slightly harder work you get alot more benifits. and you will start to get known for doing the job properly. unlike all the rest who just walk through shooting the dreys.

All makes sense to me mate, thanks for that....

NELL

On one of my permissions, there is a drey. I have seen squirrels going in there and have shot quite a few. I have not destroyed the drey because, as long as it's being repaired, I know they are still in there. If I were to knock it down, the

squirrels may move to another wooded area near by where I don't have (or won't get) permission to shoot.