Decoy Size

Spaniel

Just sat here wondering as you do....when Wildfowling you can purchase decoys appox 50% Larger then the actual Duck to intice them into your pattern....so my question would be.....wait for it.....would Pigeon Decoys made 50% larger pull the birds in better in a large open area..

Shoot me down if you want :good:

Don't know about that, would be a bit like walking into a canteen with your tray and seeing a 15 foot man sitting there eating :good: I think I'd go to another canteen :good: :good:

It's all about the birds spotting your deeks, depending on the crop and it's size you have to take it into account if you want the deeks to be seen. Placing your decoys on longer stems so they are above the crop should be sufficient. I've seen people put there deeks up a foot and a half off the ground, it looks a bit odd to us from ground level but from high above it would look like they are on the ground.

Edited by Cosd

It might work but where are you going to get them from to see?

GH

I know....but i was just wondering if bigger was better for a change :good: could be the next Pigeon fortune making idea :good:

I think my probs this morning was no movement in the pattern to attract them, so im going to have ago at making some bouncers,

cheers

Duck magnum decoys work best out in open water where they show up well and the duck have little perspective for size. I have often wondered about big pigeon decoys , they may work , but unlike the duck the pigeons comming into a field will have perspective on size from trees, hedges ect and may realise there is something not quite right about them. But it could be worth a try. However I would suggest movement in your decoy patten from a magnet or bouncers would be a better option.

Edited by anser2

Agree with anser2, movement is key imo. I haven't tried a bouncer but had a dead pigeon flapper years ago. fleabay have one £16 +p&p. Worth twenty decoys in performance. I did find that two quick flaps would make a passing/distant bird curl in and commit. However if you continued after it had made its mind up, it would then scare them away. Maybe they see it as a scared bird wanting to leave the ground?

I was out with a mate the other week and i thought the bouncer looked more appealing to bring the birds in rather then the flapper to be honest, i always look at the flapper as the bird is getting ready to take off and not land...

Anyway still trying to make myself a bouncer just need to sort the material out fo the wings....

Like you say, where would you get your giant pigeon deeks from in the first place to try out the theory?

I can say that I`ve often shot grey geese over,unsurprisingly,grey goose decoys, and had the woodies hurling themselves at the (grey) decoys. The weather has always been hard when this has happened, but who knows,it might yet be the next fortune making idea.

Like you say, where would you get your giant pigeon deeks from in the first place to try out the theory?

I think im going to have to make one as a template...Father in law was always into model aircraft but what i didnt know is that he as a machine which makes plastic moulds of what ever object he desires, obviously got to make the Master first.....so i think my plan is to make an oversize decoy out of wood and then ask him to use this unit to produce some plastic moulds which can then be painted...its only an idea but i want to give it ago

Hi all,

This is a cut and paste of a reply made a few days ago, it was the FUD decoys topic.

this is what i replied

"I remember once seen an article in the sporting shooter/gun for some very similar decoys, but they were called MAGNUMS, i was looking forward to them coming out, but it never materialised as far as i know! They were tested by peter theobald, and he really praised them up. They were double the size of a normal pigeon decoy and i'm pretty sure they folded up 2.

maybe someone else will remember them or know a bit more!"

I am very surprised that anybody never remembered them, unless i am going mad! :good:

regards

turk101