which one 1st .17hmr or .22lr

cossygun

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm Do you like Marmite?

It is a case of personal preference for alot of people, most get .22lr to start but then get a .17hmr then find they pick the .17hmr whenever they go out and watch the .22lr gather dust.

.22lr is very cheap to buy ammo for £8 a hundred ish depending on how fancy, range 70 yards, available in semi auto and cheap to moderate.

.17hmr 120 yards flat trajectory, ammo £20 a hundred but usually more like £25 ish, single shot only, can be moderated but not as effective.

EDIT:- Personally speaking i would go .17hmr as it`s mainly bunnies.

Edited by Warlock

It is a case of personal preference for alot of people, most get .22lr to start but then get a .17hmr then find they pick the .17hmr whenever they go out and watch the .22lr gather dust.

I disagree. I've bagged nearly 1,800 rabbits so far this year, almost all with the .22LR, shotgun or .22CF. For me, it's the .17 HMR that is gathering dust.

If this is your first rifle, I would adise the .22LR, cut your teeth and then decide if youneed the extra distance, and additional cost that the .17HMR will give you. Both weapons have their place, and I love shooting my .17HMR, but if I could only have one, it would be the .22LR.

webber

Consider the ground that you shoot over.

Its very hard or rocky etc the hmr would be a better choice as its a lot less prone to ricochet than the .22

I like shooting both, and they are very different calibres. If I had to choose one to shoot all the time then it would be the .22 ( although I would really miss the .17 :good: )

I hear ya dude.. After i put about 9 down range i am ready to pack her in..

Well I used to try and bluff it through in a macho stylee but now I'm old and wise I stopped trying to impress the other bar room shooters and just did what I want y'know

I had a .22lr first, then went for .17hmr. I've now sold the hmr and kept the .22.

Part of the reason was that i've just got a .22-250, and didn't particularly see the need for 3 rifles. Another part was that the hmr is badly affected by the wind anything over 100 yards.

The .22 just suits my shooting better, with most of my shots being between 30-70 yards, and our permissions are windy 90% of the time.