Best time of year to go shooting?

Shooting Tom

I was just about to ask this because while i have a decent knowledge of firearms and an ok knowledge of fieldcraft, i know next to nothing about agriculture! I've been out 3 times on rape and i can honestly say i've never seen fields so bereft of birds. :good: So far i've seen 1 green finch, 3 crows, 1 red kite and 2 pigeons, neither of which were wood pigeons?! Its starting to get a bit frustrating as there seem to be dozens of birds flying over the motorway on the way down to these places but you get to the field and there isn't a bird within 10 miles! :blush:

So is it that there are just fewer woodies about at this time of year or am i just unlucky with the fields i'm going to? I've only been decoying for a year but all of my other outings were during the summer and there seemed to be a stead supply then.

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Mark you must be unlucky lol, it depends what is in the fields you shoot lol, this time of year there is so many different thing for them to be eating they are getting into little groups. but maybe there is like bean or something in a 20 miles away and they are all there they love beans and clover this time of year. i dont know... :S