Too soft?

Carbonrocket

Went to my work permission to check my S410 accuracy.

Set it up at 32 m, with a bipod and yes spot on.

Decided to have a walk around and spied in the distance a nice adult rabbit.

Stalked up to it, to an excellent firing position. bipod out and in the sights.

Then it went wrong for me.

Another adult entered the scene then a 1/2 size baby rabbit :good: the three then started playing, hopping around.

This was my big crisis of consience. Shoot the baby it wont grow up. Shoot an adult would the baby die?

I know you might think different but I decided this - I was not interested in rabbit meat at this time and the rabbits at this permission were not a problem. I put a pellet into a rock next to an adult and scared them instead.

I then collected my two children and went back to this permission. Drove around the site viewing several rabbits. Walked to some light tree scrub and we all watched a young fox at about 40m until it noticed us.

Then while leaving the site spied a rabbit and slowed for the kids to have a nice look.

Here it is;

100_0090.jpg

Its friend was just a little further on

100_0091.jpg

And they sat there for over a minute looking at me. I would the window down and shouted. They still stayed pretty much put. I had the AAS410 in the boot but the daughter would not approve. So I let the kids out and they chased them away across the field.

I know I am soft but when that baby bunny gets bigger it and I will meet again and its parents will be invited!

Carbon

This is the thing about differentiating between sport and pest control, I have a small permission where the rabbits are not a huge problem so I just take one every now and again (mainly to feed the ferret). On the other hand, I have a much larger permission that is 100% arable farmland and every single rabbit that I come across has to go, regardless of age or size.

I personally don`t shoot foxes, i see plenty around at night and have a 5.56 that i have listed for Target, Zero & Fox but find i couldn`t justify shooting one, they keep rabbits moving for me at night and take care of any i can`t get to for any reason, so kind of being soft as personally speaking i think they are a very nice looking animal.

Carbonrocket, your attitude and approach does you great credit to the sport. I stopped hunting rabbits many years ago after my daughter got a pet rabbit. It was only then I realised what an intelligent and sociable animal they really are. My children have long since left home but I still have a couple of very bright rabbits at home which I keep purely for my pleasure and the pleasure of my Grandchildren. Those of you you who have kept rabbits will know exactly what I mean. Both mine are house trained, will come when called and follow me anywhere as they have no fear of humans. They can be trained do almost anything a dog can do (within reason of course) and are far better company than any cat. I know they can be a pest and have to be culled (ask my wife about her garden plants\ :no: ) but when you see a family group it has to be a very hard thing to do to break up a social group like that. I suppose I have gone soft in my old age. :w00t:

Dont get me wrong rabbit hunter.

And thanks for all the other comments from all.

A pest is a pest and I will shoot a pest! No doubt!

Tomorrow (Wednesday 08/04/2009), I will be arriving at my Apple tree permission at 06:00 and will be hunting pest rabbits.

At another permission, rabbits are not a problem so they would not be stalked. I would go after the pests for that permission.

Its just do you need to take the shot if its not a problem?

Carbon

Tomorrow (Wednesday 08/04/2009), I will be arriving at my Apple tree permission at 06:00 and will be hunting pest rabbits.

At another permission, rabbits are not a problem so they would not be stalked. I would go after the pests for that permission.

Carbon

Is there much shooting to be had in apple orchards? and are rabbits much of a pest that they ruin the trees?

Carbon

Very good point :rolleyes:

Is there much shooting to be had in apple orchards? and are rabbits much of a pest that they ruin the trees?

I used to shoot at a farm near Marden, 80% of which was Apple orchards, and the damage they could do to the bark of trees had to be seen to be believed... they would strip the bark as high as they could reach , and eventually it would kill the tree. We only had Air rifles and shotguns so had a hard time getting close to them, really needed a rimfire to reach out and 'touch' them.

Dave

Yes this plantation is 1 year old, 6500 odd trees at £10 each planted.

The rabbits are digging down at the base of the trees under the plastic protection and nibbling at the roots.

This kills the trees and the owner is not a happy bunny.

This makes these rabbits a definate pest and so this is where I come in.

No the rabbits are not scrumping! :good:

Carbon

Edited by Carbonrocket

i find that normal - i was out and got within about 10 yards of a tiny baby rabbit which was about 6 inches big so i didn't shoot it because it was too easy and young also he ( or she) will grow into a nice size bunny then it will be a bit more of a challenge :D

It will also be more of a meal :bye2: