Swapping decoys for dead birds in pattern

smcgreg1

Maybe someone can help me with a thought I have about replacing decoys with dead birds in a pattern. I was thinking why replace the decoys if the birds are coming in anyway? My decoys are all flocked and often I am getting pigeons land in my pattern so I guess the pigeons are convinced enough that its friends are feeding and it is safe to land.

Sometimes I will add the dead birds to my pattern and other times I just leave the shells out. I get mixed results with both but I guess that's because I am still relatively new to pigeon shooting and still learning field craft.

Anyway your thoughts are welcome as always.

AS long as the pigeons are comming in to the decoys i just add dead birds the more the better thats all right in the winter but you get to many flys in the summer so i just use plenty of decoys, in the warm weather i put the pigeons into sacks in the shade. :hmm:

If the birds are coming in I stay in the hide, unless I have a wounded bird, or a dead one upside down.

I rarely add dead birds to my layout, unless its on the rotary, or a floater or two.

Sometimes I will only have a few decoys with me when I am on recce and if I decide to set up I will add dead decoys to the layout to enlarge it, but usually I have enough decoys with me to have the layout I want.

Like many others have said I just add to the patten of shell decoys with dead birds. I had a day on drillings when I had 20 shell decoys and ended up with over 100 dead birds out. A bit of over kill probably , but they drew in almost every bird in the area. Do not forget to leave a landing space open though

Thanks for all your answers.

If I have a sort of L or U shape pattern with say 12 shells would you keep adding them to the ends to make the shape bigger or start to place them in other locations e.g. outside the pattern?

I would "deepen" the pattern, rather than extend the ends (If your "U" shape is 12 pigeons 1 deep, I would make it 12 pigeons 2 or 3 deep).

Well the main reason why people change the decoys for dead pigeons is nothing can be better than real dead birds. Sometimes if you notice the pigeons get spooked of something and it often is the layout or the plastic reflect from the sun.

I have layed out 12 decoys one day and shot over 60+ in 2 hrs and never removed the decoys.

Somedays when it is sunny I have noticed that the birds get more spooked by the decoys, so i take 12+ defrosted dead pigeons and lay them out and tend to have better days shoot

Edited by Greeky

Get as many birds out there as you can. Don't leave them in the hide with you. The more that appear to be on the ground, the more appealing it will be to a passing pigeon/flock of pigeons.

You will notice the bigger flocks splitting to join your decoys if you have loads on the ground, instead of just a few, as a few will want to go with another 'large' flock, but will have just been fooled.

Keep everything out there and as Catamong taught me. He did say that 80 birds is the upper amount though.

The only answer i can give is, if almost every pigeon you see comes into your pattern comes in there is no need to add more. I usually start with 15 flocked shells, then add dead birds until i am convinced that i have enough that most birds are coming in. When this point comes, there is no need to add more. I have had upwards of 100 dead birds in the pattern, though. But even if you only have five decoys out and everything comes in, why change?

A mate of mine alway used to take in his plastic decoys until he came out with me once and saw it made no difference to the birds coming in.

If the plastic ones bring the birds in then why take them in?

I always leave them out because the bigger the pattern the better.

When shooting over rape I like to use 25+ decoys where when I am shooting over drilled fields i will start with about 12-15.

• 2 weeks later...