Best .17 hmr?

Moorhens

I'm downsizing this year from .22 to .17

I always get a little nervous when I'm aimed at 45 degrees with a rifle that has a range of a mile, and I miss... So as a result I think a smaller, more accurate rifle is in order.

My current rifle has no mounts for a scope as it's about 3000 years old, and lining the pin up with the cup is about as accurate as spitting peas at the bird at 2000 fps.

Can anyone shed any light here? What's a decent .17 to go for and what kind of money should I be shelling out?

Any help would be great.

Moorhens

Try this link and have a look; http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/

A remarkable selection, and a very good calibre. If you keep it real, not the stupid ranges claimed by some, I do not think you can have a better daylight rimmy. If you want quiet, the .22lr with subs cannot be beaten, but for longish daylight culling I love the .17HMR. And no nasty Rick Oshea's :hmm:

ft

i bought a cz brno 452 varmint from newport for £285 and they threw in some mounts ive only got a 3-9 x 40 on it and it was easily capable of dropping rabbits at 150 yds .The moderator only cost £50 quid and for £100 you can get 500 little bullets hope this helps

I use a CZ Varmint 20"....it has come back from the hun smiths, where he tuned the trigger and had a look at the bedding....but he said it was fine but the rifle isnt bedded? :rolleyes: ........the action is just screwed into the stock, its a really good gun....

BTW, check out varmintal..he does a review on the CZ Varmint 20"

LINK

Steve

From what I have experienced a 17HMR is faster, longer distance and potentially more dangerous weapon than a 22, but the bullet is less likely to travel on if it hits a hard surface. I never fire unless I have a solid back drop, otherwise who knows where and when the bullet will land.

CZ452 are solid, reliable and cheap, probably the best gun I have ever purchased.

you can't go wrong with a CZ 452!

oh yes you can, not all of them shoot well out of the box ,most are good but some need work on the crown and nearly all of them need the barrel floating,and the trigger aint one of the best even with a brookes kit.

You shouldnt be nervous about missing. If you are, you shouldnt be taking the shot in the first place :D

I wouldnt call the HMR downsizing, smaller lighter bullet maybe but on the back of the ammo box it clearly states "dangerous up to 2 mile" :D

What is it you are shooting and over what range ? may help people inform you better :yes:

I have a sako quad. I find it a very accurate and reliable gun. It cost about £500 plus mod, sights, bipod and sling.

I would recomend one. I use it for lamping mostly and although a bit noisy it dosent stop me getting loads of rabbits. I say buy the best you can afford. Look at cz, sako, anchutz and any others you can find and handle them in the shop. Make your own mind up as you will be the one using it.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
I'm downsizing this year from .22 to .17

I always get a little nervous when I'm aimed at 45 degrees with a rifle that has a range of a mile, and I miss... So as a result I think a smaller, more accurate rifle is in order.

My current rifle has no mounts for a scope as it's about 3000 years old, and lining the pin up with the cup is about as accurate as spitting peas at the bird at 2000 fps.

Can anyone shed any light here? What's a decent .17 to go for and what kind of money should I be shelling out?

Any help would be great.

Moorhens

Do you actully have an FAC yet? To buy a .17HMR you will need a Firearm Certificate

Never aim at 45 degrees with any firearm, and the 17HMR has a range of up to 2miles / 3kilometers (more than the .22LR) so you still cant be aiming at 45 degrees with the .17HMR

The .17HMR has a lot more power (245ft/lbs) than the .22LR (104ft/lbs) so its not downsizing lol - Downsizing might be from a .17HMR (245ft/lbs) to a .22 air rifle (12ft/lbs)

The .22LR doesnt fire at 2000fps either

AS FOR a decent .17HMR You cant beat the CZ 452, I have the 22.5" Silhouette Version and its very good :)

Edited by elvolcan

had my hands on a 452 varmint 20" in 17hmr today.old stock i can have it for £360 including a scirrocco moderator. must say i`m very tempted. may just go next saturday and put a deposit on it.was quoted 400£ plus last month from another rfd,as i say this one has been on the shelf a while but seems a bargain

his only other post reads.

You Guys must have heard this a million times, I have a pigeon problem....

I'm looking for either a breakbarrel .22 or something to that effect, what do you guys reccomend?

ive seen the crosman t1 extreme (i think thats what its called) and it looks the bizz, 800fps firing speed and even has a bipod with it! any other reccomendations?

Happy shooting

Ben

i would hope he has an FAC - he's got a .22LR already!

He only says a .22 - i think he means a .22 air rifle (12ft/lbs) :(

his only other post reads.

You Guys must have heard this a million times, I have a pigeon problem....

I'm looking for either a breakbarrel .22 or something to that effect, what do you guys reccomend?

ive seen the crosman t1 extreme (i think thats what its called) and it looks the bizz, 800fps firing speed and even has a bipod with it! any other reccomendations?

Happy shooting

Ben

Lol , oh dear :)

Edited by elvolcan

oh yes you can, not all of them shoot well out of the box ,most are good but some need work on the crown and nearly all of them need the barrel floating,and the trigger aint one of the best even with a brookes kit.

For the price you wont find a better gun. From all the CZ's I have seen they were all floated, and all shot very well :oops: