Fly Fishing

jamesspencer_2001

My choice of flies/lures depends on quarry and conditions.

But, for stillwater trout fishing, if I could only have two in my box, they would be a Montana and a Red Tag. :lol:

Like most fly fishermen, I must have well over 500 nymphs, dry flies and feathered lures, but I mainly use about 12 patterns. :huh:

I usually get the fly rods out from the 1st April.......weather permitting.

I have had a lot of fun fishing the Little Ouse in the Thetford area of Norfolk for dace, I only used one kind and thats a Wickhams Fancy.

Best regards,

Feather, :huh:

Thetford Forest ... Now thats a nice area... Dace on a Wickhams on the little Ouse... Sounds Like Paradise to me,

If I was stuck on a desert island ( which just happened to have a crystal trout stream running into a lake ) I would take three flies.

1. A Black and peacock spider (Wet)

2. A grey Wulf (Dry)

3. A Diawl Bach ( Nymph )

Im afraid I dont often use lures ( Zonkers, Bunnies, Cats whiskers etc. ) Im a bit of a purist.

Cheers

FM.

Im afraid I dont often use lures ( Zonkers, Bunnies, Cats whiskers etc. ) Im a bit of a purist.

Cheers

FM.

Whoops !!!! and there's me inviting you to go fishing the rudder on Draycote :*) :*) :*) :huh:

I still really rate the GRHE nymph on reservoirs but will be experimenting more this season with static buzzers as I'm assured it's a deadly method.

Back end fishing for me is all about fry imitation so it's just the flies FM mentioned not liking, some of them tied on tubes and fished deep for big browns and rainbows. The fish are in prime condition and boy do they nail those big flies !!!!

Cheers

FM.

Whoops !!!! and there's me inviting you to go fishing the rudder on Draycote :*) :*) :*) ???

I still really rate the GRHE nymph on reservoirs but will be experimenting more this season with static buzzers as I'm assured it's a deadly method.

Back end fishing for me is all about fry imitation so it's just the flies FM mentioned not liking, some of them tied on tubes and fished deep for big browns and rainbows. The fish are in prime condition and boy do they nail those big flies !!!!

Ill take you up on that mate later in the season.

But Ill probably fish a Maribou tailed Damsel Nymph, About 3ins long :huh::lol::lol:

Having read this thread and I might say enjoyed the comments there in, and seeing the varied range of flies used by fishermen far and wide. My mind always go back to a quote from the film,"And a river runs through it" in which was said:-

"He tied a thing on that looked like a chicken", :huh::lol::lol:

Best regards,

Feather.

Having read this thread and I might say enjoyed the comments there in, and seeing the varied range of flies used by fishermen far and wide. My mind always go back to a quote from the film,"And a river runs through it" in which was said:-

"He tied a thing on that looked like a chicken", :huh:  :lol:  :lol:

Best regards,

Feather.

I remember that Film also.... Very Good Movie. based on the equally good book by Norman Maclean...

I think its Filmed in Montana where i hope to visit next year for some fishing ( The Big Sky State ).

Cheers.

FM.

Had a couple of trips so far, lots of fish, on buzzers,diawl bach and goldhead montana, but that's probably because these are my current favourites.

Lots of info here.

http://flyforums.proboards30.com/index.cgi?

Where you been fishin then moi dear :huh:

Been fishing Bewl Water at Lamberhurst, the fishing has been great so far, went again on Friday (1/4) with a mate and had 15 for the boat, boat, bank all the same at the moment, I had most of mine on buzzers and a couple on Cat's Whiskers, the same for my mate but he had some on Damsels as well, best fish 4lb 8oz, lost a few as well, I probably hooked 12-14 all told.

Chris.