Cleaning my shotgun

RC45

What're your neighbours like?

Is there a possibility they'll cause trouble for you because they don't like shooting?

Is there a possibility they'll cause trouble for you because they want to shoot someone with your gun? :oops:

If no to the above, clean away.

Yes, yes, I know. The reason I ask is because I'm all for a simple life :rolleyes:

What're your neighbours like?

Is there a possibility they'll cause trouble for you because they don't like shooting?

Is there a possibility they'll cause trouble for you because they want to shoot someone with your gun? ;)

If no to the above, clean away.

Yes, yes, I know. The reason I ask is because I'm all for a simple life :rolleyes:

you forgot the third option john - is it possible theyll never cause trouble for you if they see you cleaning your gun?? :oops:

:oops::hmm::)

I do it all the time mate, I disassemble the stock and barrels and foregrip, place on a table and clean it outside.

My missus hates the smell of hoppes No9

:rolleyes:

As far as i'm concerned i've got a couple of inert objects on the garden table that i'm cleaning.

I clean my rifles and shotguns out in the garden all the time, i don`t want oil and solvent all over my floors indoors. you are on private property so you are entitled to have your gun out just so long as you don`t start waving it about all over the place in a threatening way.

i remember one time my local community support came round saying a local resident had walked past and noticed i had my shotgun out and found it distressing, i said the guy was very much mistaken, took her round to the back garden for her to see 4 rifles neatly lined up all in various staes of cleaning, she thought i was preparing for waco and questioned am i allowed to have all these guns as there seems too many and she needs to get it check, i said to her see no shotgun they are rifles. I just laughed and gave her the mobile number of my FEO all i heard was yelling down the phone and her being very red faced.

Winter garage

Spring, summer, autumn garden

I consider myself extremely lucky as I have one neighbour who can see the garden and we have a great relationship - they have an allotment and green house and a lot of that produce comes our way. Every now and again I give them a haunch....everyones happy.

If I was in a different location, or moved, I'd not upset anyone or give myself hassle if I was overlooked by a lot of unknowns.

Cheers

AndyCM

Edited by AndyCM

I guess it depends on the area you live in. My FEO advised that I do not advertise my gun ownership to the neighbours, so mine always gets cleaned indoors, away from prying eyes.

Rhiannon

Good point, didn't think of the security aspect. :good:

I would agree with Rhiannon on this one...I was advised on SGC visit, that advertising gun ownership outside of your property was frowned upon, and that any cleaning should be done behind closed doors, unless one lives on a farm or alike with a lot of closed of land!

It doesn't bother me at all, but am aware of what neighbours seem to think about gun ownership, so for a quiet life have always obliged and cleaned guns with the garage door down cos I dont want any complaints!

My mum caught me looking down the barrels checking for cleaning cloth trails with the garage door up and she went balistic!! :good::P

I think its one of those, depends where you live and just use your disgretion (if that's even spelt right)!

:good:

Exactly, no matter how discrete i am, you can`t help but be seen when you are carrying rifles ot of the house, i carry all my rifles in Dosko cases which are the rigid black plastic types that are rifle shaped. If i`m shooting on the range i take at least 4 rifles with me, when i go out on my permission i take 2 rifles and my shotgun plus wearing camo. I found that when people found out about me having rifles they didn`t really give it a second thought if anything my life got quieter, i get asked occasionaly by people but that`s about it. My Community support officer knows what i have etc and she was happy for the education about firearms etc. spoke to my FEO and he said there is no one local around me with a licence.

You shouldn't advertise the fact you have guns. All of my neighbours no I do because I am in and out the house with them most days. I still wouldn't clean my guns in the garden because any one could walk past and see me in the garden with them. Once I get some more climbers up the fence then I would have no problem cleaning in the back garden. All the neighbours seam like good people so.....

Dave

i see where your coming from about security, but would the neighbours not see the guns when you walk out of the house to go shooting??? :good:

No - my gun is always carried out broken down in it's box, I have a quick scan to see if anyone is around and then it is put quickly into the boot of the car. It doesn't get put back together and into its slip until I reach wherever I'm shooting. Even when talking in the garden my husband and I watch what language we use. I also don't put any obvious shooting clothes on until I am away from the house and these are also carried into and out of the house in a discreet manner. I live on the edge of a rough area , so I don't want the risk of any of the local yobs knowing I have a gun in the house.

I guess it depends what kind of area you live in, and how close your neighbours are and what they are like.

Rhiannon

:good: luckily I live in the keepers cottage here tucked away from "eyes" and anyway the nearest neighbour is over 200yds away,I do not think that you would be breaking any law doing so. As for your neighbours they see you go out shooting anyway so they know that you have a gun. If the garden is at the rear of the property then fine. In a towns front/side garden then passers by who are NOT neighbours would see and could phone the law. As for cleaning in doors you obviously dont have the Use of "the gunroom" with all its kit even gun rooms smell...so clean the gun outside as above mate ...Why not. Edited by Warm Barrels

hmmm i see what you mean rhiannon; its a small town/large village i live in, so everyone knows everyone else anyway - if you **** in a pub at 11pm at one end of the town at 11.05pm theyll be able to tell you what it smelt like and how loud it was in the pub at the far end of the town :good:

so for me theres no real point in trying to hide it, i always walk out of the house in my camo and with the shotgun over my shoulder in a slip (usually...) :hmm:

No - my gun is always carried out broken down in it's box, I have a quick scan to see if anyone is around and then it is put quickly into the boot of the car. It doesn't get put back together and into its slip until I reach wherever I'm shooting. Even when talking in the garden my husband and I watch what language we use. I also don't put any obvious shooting clothes on until I am away from the house and these are also carried into and out of the house in a discreet manner. I live on the edge of a rough area , so I don't want the risk of any of the local yobs knowing I have a gun in the house.

I guess it depends what kind of area you live in, and how close your neighbours are and what they are like.

Rhiannon

I take your point on not advertising the fact you have guns by not cleaning outside etc but the above seems extreme to me but then i live in a village that has plenty of gun owners in it. Just goes to show most of this is common sense/judgement.