What dog?

Wiltsmark

Hi, iam thinking about getting another dog to go with our jr,having just lost our Doberman, it would be used mainly to retreive pigeons would also be a pet to the kids but the problem is we/mrs cant agree on what one is most suitable, i would like a springer and she (mrs) is keen for a Labrador, i know this question has probably been asked before what do you guys think i have thought about replaceing the ms but this would be much to costly.

Thanks for any reply in Advance.

Mark :good:

all depends . one of my springers would sit all day at ur feet in a hide . however her litter sister that we had back at a yr old cant even sit still for 2 secs damn thing .

as with all dogs its how ya train them .

some of the old codgers on here many disagree :good:

If you want a dog mainly to retrieve, buy a retriever of some kind. A spaniel that doesn't get to hunt is a dog doing the wrong job.

I would expand that a little more yet. Get the dog designed for the job you want, whatever that job is. Don't try to make a setter into a retriever. Decades of selective breeding has created dogs bred for a task. Labs were bred to retrieve. Chessies the same (only in super cold, coastal waterfowl conditions). Springers were made to spring game, pointers to point. If you are only going to ask the dog to retrieve, get a retriever (labs are tough to beat for that). If the dog will retrieve from a blind and hunt birds, get a lab. If it will hunt birds more than retrieve, get a springer.

Thanks,

Rick

I have a Sprocker. He is a fantastic dog who would definately "spring" a few birds. There is no way he would sit still at all. I don't think he could even be trained unless possibly drugs were involved. You want the one in my avatar :good:

Edited by Starman

Not sure how old your kids are, but if they are very young I think Lab would be the one to go for.

They have the most loving temprement and its very difficult to find one that would ever bite in anger or even bare its teeth. Springers on the other hand can ,and I say can becasue it is not true for all, be a little bit snappy, so not ideal around kids.

100% LAB

Thanks for all the responce guys, i got the idea now, springer for "springing" Lab for "retrieving", think it's going to have to be a Lab and the Mrs gets her way(thought i was the boss) the "kids are 9 and 15,old enough to be sensible around dogs, but good point Libs my mrs has just started childminding so needed to bere that in mind as well, anybody have any opinions on the chocolate Lab?, i have heard they do not make good Gundogs i was thinking that they are just a different colour!. once again thanks for the replys.

Mark :good:

I'm of the general opinion that there is usually some truth behind every stereotype/rumor/superstition.

If you look at the field trials and various hunt tests from the KC/AKC/NAHRA/etc, you'll see that no brown dogs have won the national championships in their respective disciplines ever. Between black and yellow, it is about 3:1 in favor of black I beleive, which is about what you'd get from breeding distributions.

That said, I've never met a brown lab that I didn't like. They have all been very good retrieving dogs and would be just fine for what you're looking for. More importantly for what you want, pick the parents and the offspring will follow.

Thanks

Rick

Spanniels are higher maintenance than labs, generaly tend to have more energy and are more in your face. Having said that I have seen quiet spaniels but this is more the exception. So if you have loads of time to exercise the dog go for the spaniel. As you know the lab will want to be exercised every day but not perhaps as much. Both will retreive pigeons for you no problem. The first dog I trained to retreive was a springer and it was a great dog but I had more energy for it back when I was 14. I have a lab now I dont have quite so much energy!!

Dave