slug guns ?

IAN88

I had a Remington 11-87 on FAC set up for slugs, fitted with a rifles barrel and a red-dot sight. I used it twice abroad for driven wild boar, with satisfactory results shooting both sabot and brenneke slugs. I sold it, because I came rapidly to the conclusion that a bolt-action .30-06 is significantly more accurate, consistent and versatile (a semi-automatic .30-06 would be the ultimate boar gun for me).

I think Mungler has an Extrema set up for slugs with a smoothbore barrel, and I don't recall him being particularly impressed with the accuracy.

What and where will you be shooting with slugs?

I had a Remington 11-87 on FAC set up for slugs, fitted with a rifles barrel and a red-dot sight. I used it twice abroad for driven wild boar, with satisfactory results shooting both sabot and brenneke slugs. I sold it, because I came rapidly to the conclusion that a bolt-action .30-06 is significantly more accurate, consistent and versatile (a semi-automatic .30-06 would be the ultimate boar gun for me).

I think Mungler has an Extrema set up for slugs with a smoothbore barrel, and I don't recall him being particularly impressed with the accuracy.

What and where will you be shooting with slugs?

i was just asking in general ,i don,t think i,d get one just asking who,d got one and for what reason the only reason i could see me having one would be for myself and mate to BLOW large holes in old fire doors in his disused cattle shed :good: and i think that would become boring :hmm:

that why you manage to hit so many runners henry?? :lol:

ive heard good reports of a mossberg with a slug barrel and a scope easily hitting a 12" target at 100m, but didnt see it myself, friend of a friend situation, so thats all i can say :innocent:

100m was it pub talk sound like the one that got away thought it was more STOPPING power than anything else ?cheers c1000 :blink:

100m was it pub talk sound like the one that got away thought it was more STOPPING power than anything else ?cheers c1000 :innocent:

nope, it was walking round a field talk, not sure what power it had but the guy was using it like a rifle, didnt see it myself but it was a good friend told me about it.

now if you want stopping power id suggest ssg's (buckshot), not as much hassle as solid slugs (licence wise) and are alot of fun to use :blink: try shooting a tree and see what happens :lol:

(second time we had this convo here today i think??)

Ian88

I've a s1 Benelli SuperNova which I can use on a range for target shotgun.

The 'cheap' (about £50 / 100) slugs designed for practical shotgun are generally lower power than those intended for boar shooting etc.

Legitimate use other than on a range will be very limited in the UK and the police do seem to be very twitchy about use of shotgun slugs. If they read the comment about shooting at doors then that twitchiness is clearly justified! (I presume it was a joke. If not, you really need to gain an understanding of external/terminal ballistics and firearms safety before moving beyond airsoft). Shotgun slugs can riccochet just like .22rf and anyone copping a tumbling slug even at a few hundred yards is going to be spending some time with the undertaker ...

Obviously, the ammo is s1 but you can use slugs in a shotgun, either s1 or s2, of the appropriate bore and the usual recommendation is not to use more than about half-choke.

I have a Red-dot type sight fitted (Eotech) without any magnification and can generally achieve good 'field' accuracy of about 4" groups at 50M.

Andy

Ian88

The 'cheap' (about £50 / 100) slugs designed for practical shotgun are generally lower power than those intended for boar shooting etc.

Legitimate use other than on a range will be very limited in the UK and the police do seem to be very twitchy about use of shotgun slugs. If they read the comment about shooting at doors then that twitchiness is clearly justified! (I presume it was a joke. If not, you really need to gain an understanding of external/terminal ballistics and firearms safety before moving beyond airsoft). Shotgun slugs can riccochet just like .22rf and anyone copping a tumbling slug even at a few hundred yards is going to be spending some time with the undertaker ...

Obviously, the ammo is s1 but you can use slugs in a shotgun, either s1 or s2, of the appropriate bore and the usual recommendation is not to use more than about half-choke.

I have a Red-dot type sight fitted (Eotech) without any magnification and can generally achieve good 'field' accuracy of about 4" groups at 50M.

Andy

it was a joke mate just interested what such a round is used for in this country have watch,d youtube and just wondered ,thanks :innocent:

Hey, just a quick question...

I thought slug guns had rifled barrels and that pump action rifles (like I assume the supernova would be classed as with a rifled barrel) were prohibited? along with semi auto slug guns? I'm sure iv misunderstood something here can anyone set me straight?

John

Edited by JackNco

You can have a slug gun barrel (smoothbore) with rifle sights as long as it is 24"and the pump/auto is at least 40" long overall including a folding stock when folded, But if is is a rifled barrel then it cannot be on a semi auto or a pump action as that class of firearm was banned after hungerford and tossed into section 5 as a semi auto/pump action rifle.

Edited by Andy H

Andy H is absolutely right. Oddly enough, you can have a single shot or double barrel with a rifled tube (on FAC). Apparently, they are quite popular in some parts of Europe where they don't have the same problems as us. I believe that some choke manufacturers even make a rifled choke!

Andy

You can buy specific guns for Brenneka or slug, however it works just the same from a decent shotgun, it has it's points and draw backs. You are only allowed to shoot pig here in Germany with breneka from a shotgun , ssg will kill them , seen it , but illegal.The breneka drops very fast , I have never seen anyone engage at more than 40 yds, the problem with breneka/slugs is that when you miss they are like very fast lethal pingpong balls!!Hope this helps.

Slugs are used a lot in Target shotgun competitions & UKPSA/IPSC practical shotgun matches.

Targets are traditional cardboard & paper types & larger patches are used to cover the bigger holes :good:

Clays hanging on strings are a challenge at 30-35 yards & get used quite regularly.

A slug stage a shield shooting centre in Dorset.

N