Dog Attack!

spanielboy

Well this afternoon i was out for a walk with my springer and my mother and the 2 cockers. We were walking along our road with all dogs on the lead to heel when we noticed a gsd cross roaming free (this dog had previously attacked them).

There were no owners about but the nanny and children appeared out of a taxi as the dog headed towards us. They tried to call him but nothing worked and he went for the springer..instead he met the end of my stick and 3 big hits later he headed towards the cockers. He bit one of them and so i launched at him again with the stick and also a few kicks.

In the end i had to wrestle the dog by the collar off the cocker and trailed it over to the nanny.

Having done nothing during the whole attack verbally attacked me saying i was ignorant for hitting her dog and i replied by saying it was out of control. So we got home and all was ok and i reported the matter to the dog warden, who is going to go visit them.

However we then received a phone call from the owner to say she had been called out of a very important meeting over this and because i attacked her dog she is calling the police! obviously there is nothing the police can do but what is the world coming to!

Rant over! :blush:

Peter

Ps no dogs were hurt in the incident! :-)

Well this afternoon i was out for a walk with my springer and my mother and the 2 cockers. We were walking along our road with all dogs on the lead to heel when we noticed a gsd cross roaming free (this dog had previously attacked them).

There were no owners about but the nanny and children appeared out of a taxi as the dog headed towards us. They tried to call him but nothing worked and he went for the springer..instead he met the end of my stick and 3 big hits later he headed towards the cockers. He bit one of them and so i launched at him again with the stick and also a few kicks.

In the end i had to wrestle the dog by the collar off the cocker and trailed it over to the nanny.

Having done nothing during the whole attack verbally attacked me saying i was ignorant for hitting her dog and i replied by saying it was out of control. So we got home and all was ok and i reported the matter to the dog warden, who is going to go visit them.

However we then received a phone call from the owner to say she had been called out of a very important meeting over this and because i attacked her dog she is calling the police! obviously there is nothing the police can do but what is the world coming to!

Rant over! :blush:

Peter

Ps no dogs were hurt in the incident! :-)

Sorry to hear of your problem, glad a staffy wasn't involved or we would have a 20 page thread with staffies as public enemy No.1 again, but shame on the owners not trying to stop the attack some people aren't capable of looking after a dog let alone children, hope you dogs aren't to upset after the incident

all the best

Rod

Law is clear - From the Defra web site:

Dogs out of control in a public place

If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place - then the owner or the person in charge of the dog is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person, an aggravated offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. In proceedings against a person who is the owner of a dog but at the material time was not in charge of it, it should be a defence for the accused to prove that the dog was at the material time in the charge of a person whom he reasonably believed to be a fit and proper person to be in charge of it.

Section 10(2) of the 1991 Act defines a public place as meaning any street, road or other place to which the public have, or are permitted to have access. This is a wide definition of a public place and one which specifically includes the common parts of a building containing two or more dwellings. It is intended to cover, for instance, those parts of a block of flats where, although there may be a secure front entry door so that the interior of the flat is not a place to which the public has unrestricted access, nevertheless the common parts are, in all other respects, a public place.

A person found guilty of an offence may face imprisonment or a fine, and the courts may disqualify the offender from having custody of a dog for any period.

Other legislation

Under the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847 it is an offence for any person in any street: to let an unmuzzled ferocious dog be at large so that it obstructs or annoys the residents or passengers in the street or puts them in danger; or to set on or to urge any dog to attack, worry or put in fear any person or animal. A dog will not be at large while it is held on a lead. The word 'street' here is given an extended meaning to include any road, square, court, alley, thoroughfare or public passage.

D

Edited by David BASC

And here is a bit from Times on line' about the use of force in self defence:

Guidance issued in 2005 by the Crown Prosecution Service and the Association of Chief Police Officers says that anyone can use reasonable force to protect themselves or others or to prevent crime. It couldn’t be plainer. It is based on the common law and section 3 of the Criminal Law Act 1967. A citizen isn’t expected to make fine judgments over the level of force used in the heat of the moment. The official advice says:

“So long as you only do what you honestly and instinctively believe is necessary in the heat of the moment, that would be the strongest evidence of you acting lawfully and in self-defence. This is still the case if you use something to hand as a weaponâ€

David

dont worry about the cops, youre in the right, when they arrive make a formal complaint against the owners of the gsd and take no ****.

if my dogs had been attacked i wouldve done the same, although assuming gsd means german shepherd i wouldnt need to, arnie and jess could easily (and have in the past) take one down if it attacked them :blush:

I had a similar problem with dogs attacking- I was out rabbit shooting the summer before last and I had my 11 year old ESS and a 3 year old cocker with me. I was walking along some stewardship when 2 dog German Shepards- one standard and one white came round the corner-imedietly agressive- barking and running towards me- no owners they were running loose.

- the white one was the worst he had a pop at the cocker in which I kicked him away and shouted, they back off for a second them come back for another go- I had my gun in one hand, pushed my old girl into the ditch and pick the cocker up with my other hand- the ****** still wouldn't back off so I dropped the cocker in the ditch and guarded them while I loaded the gun and shot 2 cartridges into the air-- they soon run away. One of there colars fell of in the scuffle but no tag.

In was just one of those situations where they are on top of you before you can do anything about. Lucky my girls were fine..The most annoying thing about it there was no owner to shout at, or addres/ phone number to have ago.

It's a pity,but this kind of thing is all too common, only tonight my youngest dog was set upon by a boxer, the part which maddened me the most is i had him on a lead and the owners of the boxer could see us coming from 50 yards away had plenty of time to put their dog on a lead. Of course they didn't and a bit of a scuffle occured with me in the middle, and when i pointed out to the guy that if he can't control his dog it should be on a lead and suggested an obedience course for the both of them he took offence and told me to wind my ******* neck in, charming!!!!!

the thing is i kicked the dog with steel toed boots atleast 5 times and also hit it with the stick atleast 5 times and it stll kept going...was in complete kill mode! wrestling with its neck/collar was the only way to get it off. was just licky for my mum/dogs i was there and hadnt taken the springer out half hour earlier!

It's a pity,but this kind of thing is all too common, only tonight my youngest dog was set upon by a boxer, the part which maddened me the most is i had him on a lead and the owners of the boxer could see us coming from 50 yards away had plenty of time to put their dog on a lead. Of course they didn't and a bit of a scuffle occured with me in the middle, and when i pointed out to the guy that if he can't control his dog it should be on a lead and suggested an obedience course for the both of them he took offence and told me to wind my ******* neck in, charming!!!!!

thats where rottweilers come in useful. i usually give people a choice, they put their dog on a lead or they can have its neck snapped. makes no odds to me as mine is on a lead :lol:

but seriousley, some of the idiots around here that have dogs are too stupid for words :blush:

the thing is i kicked the dog with steel toed boots atleast 5 times and also hit it with the stick atleast 5 times and it stll kept going...was in complete kill mode! wrestling with its neck/collar was the only way to get it off. was just licky for my mum/dogs i was there and hadnt taken the springer out half hour earlier!

there a strong dog built to take some ****(guard dog)strange how you never here of them attacking that dog we don't want mentioned on here :blush::lol: that little fellow from staffordshire

Edited by blackthorn

thats where rottweilers come in useful. i usually give people a choice, they put their dog on a lead or they can have its neck snapped. makes no odds to me as mine is on a lead :lol:

but seriousley, some of the idiots around here that have dogs are too stupid for words :blush:

Don't think that's a good idea mate as the other owner can easily say that your dogs were of the lead and if the other dog is worse of it could be your word against there's, then who are the police gonna believe?

Edited by The BFG

I was out walking in a local beauty spot with my wife and daughter, she was about 1 at the time and I was carrying her on my back in a frame.

I had the dog with me (White Staffy) on the lead and a bloody terrier came running at my dog.

My dog was not bothered but the terrier start to bite my dog so I tried to move my dog away but the dog just carried on. So I lifted him with my boot not hard at all more moving him off my dog.

Imagine me baby on back trying to move a little crappy dog off mine any way an old guy came out of nowhere and kicked me in the leg, Don't kick my dog he said.

I nearly planted him if it was not that he was about 70 I would have.

My wife could not stop laughing for about a week after.

Get on my nerves people just letting dogs run wild

Don't think that's a good idea mate as the other owner can easily say that your dogs were of the lead and if the other dog is worse of it could be your word against there's, then who are the police gonna believe?

:blush: no matter what happens itll come down to their word against mine if theres no witnesses about! it doesnt matter if i have a rottie or a pekingese (which i have owned in the past). but no one has ever been stupid enough to pick the 2nd option when they see my cuddly baby arnie walking on his lead beside me :lol:

post-14404-1240435362.jpg

:D no matter what happens itll come down to their word against mine if theres no witnesses about! it doesnt matter if i have a rottie or a pekingese (which i have owned in the past). but no one has ever been stupid enough to pick the 2nd option when they see my cuddly baby arnie walking on his lead beside me :D

Call that a hard dog look at mine :lol::sly::yes:

muscle%20dog.jpg

some years ago,

I had a very obedient young dog a cumberland fellhound.

at about 12 months old i was walking up the road with the dog off lead and at heel,

all of a sudden a local farmers border collie leap't over the wall and pinned my pup to the ground, and started to savage him.

instinctivly i picked up a wall topping and dropped it on the collies head,

he yelped and fell over semi concious then picked hisself up dived back over the wall ran a field length and turned round ad started barking at us.

this dog attacked with no reason on a public road,

had i had a good heavy stick i would have dispatched it without question. and thrown it back over the wall from which it came.

saying this I am a dog lover but.

dogs should be under control at all times.

Edited by peter-peter