DWP and job

jimdfish

i have recieved a letter in the post stating that I have been successful in an interview and pending CRB checks ( no probs. I have FAC) job history and references and will have work.

Question is, how much stock will the DWP put in a job reference and how negative can an employer be?

What questions do they ask of previous employers?

I did not leave under a cloud but was made redundant

Ta

jim

Most employer references are 4 lines and factual; your name, your period of employment, your job title.

The really "out there and on the edge employer" may even say how many days sick you had and the reason for your dismissal.

Seriously, no one says anything contentious in a reference these days for fear of being sued on anything inaccurate (be that good or bad inaccurate) etc.

the worst they can do is refuse to give a reference. I've done it a couple of times once had a salesman who sold a grand total of £80 worth of business in 2 months ask for one. While suffering the financial kick in the proverbials from hiring him that just took the mickey a little too much :lol:

I'll got a reference form in front of me of an ex employee. This one is very long. :good:

First confirming name, age, address.

Length of time with me.

There responsibilities / achievements

Where they ever subject of a formal disciplinary

Then a list of about 10 questions asking me to score them on a scale of 1 to 5

Then why did they leave me

Then another 5 questions on their key preformance

Then they have left me with a blank space for my general comments. :good:

An employer cannot (or will not) give a negative reference for fear of being seriously sued, therefore the new 'pc' negative reference is answering every question with "I confirm that this person was employed by us between xx/xx/xx and xx/xx/xx"

Any clued-up employer will read this as "do not employ this work-shy, lazy, good-for-nothing, trouble-making, ne'er-do-well for all the tea in China".

Being made redundant is totally different, I'm in the 4th job of my whole life (I'm 44) and never been unemployed and the previous 3 I have taken voluntary redundancy - big fat cheque (best was £54k back in the '90s) and I've always got the next job while on gardening/consultation leave which means 2 wage packets coming in for a couple of months :good:

Don't worry, and remember only you can show them how good you really are.

My 2 pen'th for what it's worth

Nige

Our company will only give a reference that says when you worked there what your position was and how many sick days you had.

The reasoning is as follows.

1. If they give a bad reference the person referred to can sue them.

2. If they give a good reference and are then employed, if they turn out to be rubbish, the company can then sue the ex employer.

As I understand it this is doe to the fact that these very situations have arisen over the pond so we have to protect ourselves against it happening to us.

Rubbish in my opinion but unfortunatley I don't make that call.

JD