A Bad Days Shooting

DorsetJasper

Ive just got back from the worlds worst clay shoot up at Southern Counties, It wasnt the ground it was me :lol:

I couldnt hit a barn door at 5 paces.

After trying to shoot around 80 targets and missing 75% whilst experiencing a very sore cheek for the first time ever i nearly threw my gun in at Sportsman Gun Centre to give it all up!

But i am hoping that some of the more experienced shooters on here may be able to give me some help and get me going again.

Im trying to learn a bit about gun fit but am struggling to find diagrams to help (Knowing my luck the gun doesn't fit me!)

Im left eye dominant, shoot right handed and for the first time tried shooting with both eyes open but having a piece of tape obscurring my sight in the left eye. (Could this be half the problem?)

I was going to pop up to Conyers in Blandford to have a chat ref Gun Fit does anyone use them any reviews etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks :lol:

You are describing a whole host of problems that will need a good coach to help you sort out . Eye dominance and gunfit need an experienced eye to rectify . If you try to do it yourself there is a high probability you will never reach your full potential. :lol:

Edited by T.C.

A bad days shooting? The only bad day is one where you DON'T go shooting! :lol:

If your gun is hurting you after just 80 clays it sounds like either you're not mounting it properly or its a really bad fit. I'd go have some lessons at a clay ground before you think about having a professional fitting, he/she will be able to correct any mounting issues before hand which will make fitting it to you alot easier and cheaper, depending on where you go. :lol:

I've also got eye dominance problems (central vision :lol: ) and just use a 1cm x 1cm square of tape over my left lense and that works for me. To be honest even that small patch is probably a bit too big and i could reduce that as it does interfere with early spotting of left to righters.

Mark

Left eye dominance, shooting right handed,?.. you can bet your life you are rolling your head over the comb to get the picture your brain is hunting for, first get a proper diagnosis of your master eye, then as been said apply a small blanking patch on your left lens of your shooting glasses, make sure its in the correct position when mounting your gun into the aim position. it should be stopping your left eye from seeing the muzzle and foresight of your gun, might also help if, you dim your left eye a little just before you fire at the target.pity you cant get a little help from a experienced shooter who lives near you.

I too am left eye dominent and shoot off the right. I tried all manner of things including easy fit, that did work to a degree. It wasn't untill I started shooting Move/Mount/Shoot (John Bidwell style) that I realized that left eye problems only occur if you are looking down the gun. This style does require a good gun fit and consistent mounting, all you do is look at the clay, never the gun. If it fits correctly the gun will point where your looking and your brain sorts out the lead. I have been shooting this style for about 3 months and my score has increased from about 70% to mid 80's and it's improving as I get better at it. Don't dispare at Southern Counties, most of the time the traps are set up for their Olympic selection competions and are a bit of a challenge for anyone.

Hi

Listen to the people on this forum, get your self some lessons preferable from a CPSA coach. Also take the time and get your gun properly fitted.

Also don't get yourself disheartened, we all have off days. Concentrate on enjoying the shooting and don't worry about the scores.

Woody

You definetly need your gun fitted, a reputable ground should have an instructor which can help on this.

Have you tried your local ground for lessons? You are not far from Purbeck shooting school near bovington and they should be able to give you some advice.

seems that lots of people who are left are dominent and right handed still shoot right handed. I am left eye dominent and right handed but shoot left handed. Always have and it feels wrong right handed. It would possibly seem easier to teach yourself to shoot lefthanded wouldnt it than worry about blanking out eyes etc?

I await correction :blink:

Dan

Get your gun fitted, that is the only answer and gunfit is the most important thing. If it ain't shooting where you are looking you'll never hit a thing. You need proper advice from someone who knows what they are doing.

To get your gun fitted correctly you need to be standing correctly and mounting correctly. only a proper instructor or an experinced shot will be able to help on this. Blindly firing and some cardboard will tell you sod all. We can all point a gun at a 4' square and shoot it. But how do you alter what unless you know what you are doing?

I have only been to Purbeck Shooting School once as I used to spend quite a bit of time in Dorset. If they haven't got anyone who can help they will know someone who can.

• 2 weeks later...