Attacked pigeon carcas

Axel

I was shooting pigeons on a pea field Tues & Wed and some were carried by the wind over a wide stream, into a strip of wood. I noted where the dead ones were and gave the walkers another barrel to stop them wandering off. When there was a lull, I went off on the long detour to get them. Coming up through the wood, both days, I nearly fell over what I took to be Muntjacs (dog size, brown with white short tail)?. I picked up my dead pigeons but on both days, 2 of the carcases had been attacked e.g. wing/head pulled off and bite marks on the chest. I'm assuming a fox did this but could it have been the 'deer' I saw? Most odd. Clipper.

I think Cranfield could be right... Twice this year I have downed a rabbit only to see a stoat try and drag it off.

Last year when walking around my rough shoot i shot a bunny and left it in the bow of a tree. When i went back for it it was 20 yards away on the ground being eaten by a stoat.

I think that the population explosion is due to a lesser amount of trapping by dwindling numbers of gamekeepers.

FM.

I think I would have to agree about the stoat and weasle population explosion.

There are loads about!. I shot a bolting rabbit only the other week that was prancing and jumping about prior to the shot.

Upon inspction there was a weasle hanging off its throat which unfortunately also fell to the no-6.

I wouldnt have thought that the deer would have munched them unless they were seriouosly lacking in some vital vitimins.

Paul in North Lincs.