Swallows

Fisherman Mike

Been loads of Skylarks about round here but no swallows yet. Plucked a few pigeons in the garden at the weekend and the sparrows and starlings appeared like Hitchcocks film "The Birds" to pick up the odd feathers floating about on the lawn. Some very plush nests going to be built methinks !!

Got my maggie decoys now so I'm going to try them in the garden and shoot down on any intruders from the bedroom window with my air rifle, they are devils for nicking eggs and fledgling songbirds.

Am i right in thinking early March was cold and wintery? Coupled with the fact that we had snow here last friday. Could be a possible reason why they are late to arrive or in small numbers.

I supose it could be effected by the weather conditions on the continent too, i preume their migratory path is over Europe?

My bird knowledge is a little rusty and as you may have gathered from the specs in the pic, my eyes are indeed not what they used to be :)

If the swift is the slightly larger of the three then id say ive seen good numbers of those over the weekend just past.

Got my maggie decoys now so I'm going to try them in the garden and shoot down on any intruders from the bedroom window with my air rifle, they are devils for nicking eggs and fledgling songbirds

Old Rooster, i too am beginning to grow less and less fond of the Magpie. They go for anything, certainly the yob of the bird world. Ive seen them gang up on just about every bird, hell ive even seen them give the farm cat a hard time.

Magpie trap is now in place though

Edited by donkeymagic

I read an alarming article in the sunday paper that many thousands of swallows and martins may have been iradicated accidently as a result on the war being raged against flying insects, particularly locusts in Africa and Muritania. These being a principal food source for migratory birds to build up reserves prior to long migratory flights.

Apparently this year has been one of the worst for Locusts and the Agricultural depts of various Governments have hit back with pesticides big time.

Lets hope they can recover quickly ( the Birds that is )

FM.

Haven't seen any in or around Lincs yet. Our stables and outbuildings usually have several active nest sites, and generally we see them within the 1st /2nd weeks of April, but not this year!

I assume they've been held up by bad weather..... but I love seeing these delightful birds............... brings out the essence of summer don't you think!!

Paul in North Lincs

Haven't seen any in or around Lincs yet. Our stables and outbuildings usually have several active nest sites, and generally we see them within the 1st /2nd weeks of April, but not this year!

I assume they've been held up by bad weather..... but I love seeing these delightful birds............... brings out the essence of summer don't you think!! 

Paul in North Lincs

without a doubt...

Watching their acrobatics as they snatched emerging May fly from the River Coln as a lad will always be a vivid memory for me. Long balmy days of the school Holidays that followed topped by the down of Thistle and Rose Bay Willow Herb dancing across the twilight pastures in early Autumn evenings as a solitary Barn owl hawked the riverbank for Voles........ Shangri la

Kids these days... shut up in the bedroom with P Diddy blaring on the sterio and punching the game boy advance!!! They dont know they are alive.

For the last three years ive had martins nest in the eaves of the house and look forward to them coming and bringing back the offspring each year, we had five succesful chicks fledged last year. I've seen nothing of them as yet, and they are definately late here!!. I hope they come soon it's not summer without them.

Regards Coney

seen a few swallows today while out for a walk.

last week i saw a clutch of mallard chicks,nine in all,that was last monday.

by tuesday there was only four,wednesday three were left.

on friday there was no sign of the rest of them,still no sign of them on saturday.

the weather here in n/ireland last week was cold,then it got wet at the end of the

week.fly life was non existant on the water and no algae for the chicks to feed on.

MY QUESTION.

is the weather that messed up that the wildlife are getting confused?

MY QUESTION.

is the weather that messed up that the wildlife are getting confused?

In a nutshell "yes" ,had the old jack rabbit running in the back yard here 2 weeks back in full spring coat ,only problem with a foot of snow he made an easy target :thumbs: ,

Mike im going to post a couple of pics of the robin here ,this sucker is on steroids ,

stands around 6/7" tall always around spring summer ,also the red breasted blackbird , i think you'l like them ,well i hope you do anyway ,throw a jay in aswell .

Martin