Bow-hunting apologists?

Hold fast before you condem this type of hunting it's been going on for 100's/1000's of years before we 'civilised' the process with guns. The Bushmen use/used much less powerful bows to kill large quarry (admitedly with poisoned arrows) and yes the dying takes some time but we're all hunters.

Not my personal thing (and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that particular hunter) but I won't say it's wrong as we need to keep an open mind and stand fast against this oh so PC society of ours.

Hold fast before you condem this type of hunting it's been going on for 100's/1000's of years before we 'civilised' the process with guns. The Bushmen use/used much less powerful bows to kill large quarry (admitedly with poisoned arrows) and yes the dying takes some time but we're all hunters.

Not my personal thing (and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that particular hunter) but I won't say it's wrong as we need to keep an open mind and stand fast against this oh so PC society of ours.

i very much agree with you there highlander,i see very little difference ethicaly between this and halal butchery[might get called racist for speaking against that],the only thing that disturbs me is the bet :):good::no:

i see very little difference ethicaly between this and halal butchery[might get called racist for speaking against that],the only thing that disturbs me is the bet :):good::no:

*** are you talking about?? Do you know anything about halal butchery? I see no comparisons between halal butchery and shooting an elephant with a bow!

Interestingly apparently with the right gear its common to get passthroughs on elephants with modern archery equipment, thats more than you'd get with most rifles held on here which shows they are quite powerful. The bet issue isn't a biggie its as much a challenge as anything else, and I stick with the fact they don't know it wasn't dead sooner but checking with dangerous game is something thats often left till the next morning as you have less chance of encountering a wounded animal in a dangerous situation.

Something thats not too different to walking through the day after a days driven shoot to see if you can pick up any more pheasants. Everyone does it as any pricked birds are usually picked up dead. Before condemning it too fast have a look at a few of the bow hunting forums they are quite enlightening. I could post a link to a frontal brain shot Bull elephant shot with a bow and dropped straight away but that would no doubt be wrong as well!

I wouldn't have a bow if it was legal in the UK, John, but I do appreciate that the article was littered with very emotive language. Sky News is not known for reliable reporting....

I've not hunted elephant, but I have accrued practical experience shooting most African dangerous game (Cape buffalo and hippo being the mainstay). I also know enough about wound pathology and external ballistics to back up my stance on this, i.e. that an arrow is not the ideal choice for taking an elephant.

I think it's the issue of the bet that grates for me - the flippancy of the whole thing.

Whilst i have never actually used a bow for hunting and have no desire to use one ,i have been present on several stalks on white tail deer in the states . Over there bow hunting is a way of life among hunters ,as is handgun hunting ,black powder rifle hunting and shotgun hunting . Most of which is alien to us british hunters who have never traveled abroad to hunt . I am fortunate in so much that i have family in the states and have experianced these other methods of taking deer and antelope . One must not think that the type of bow and arrow used on big game hunting bear any resemberlance to the recurve bow that you see used in general target shooting throught the world .

The hunting compound bow has a tremendous draw weight ,some of them over 100 pounds and are only possible to use because of the system of pulleys that allow you to draw the bow . Some of the broad head arrows will have 12 inches of cutting edge and are designed to cut through flesh and bone and bleed an animal out very ,very quickly . Most big game can be taken with a proper hunting bow and broad head arrow ,i know i have seen it done on many occasions .

If i had lived in the states i would undoubtly been converted to bow hunting ,but as i have said earlier it does not appeal to me and i dont have the skill . The wound canal made by a broad head arrow is far bigger than that made by a full bore bullet .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I don't agree with this because of the rarity of elephants. Shooting pigeons and rabbits which are in healthy supply across Britain is fine, but i have been led to believe that elephants are quite scarce, and to kill such an animal over a bet is reckless. If there is plenty of the animal, it's a pest and can be good use you can kill it with a pea shooter as long as the death is fast and humane (i don't think there are any pea shooters powerful enough for that).

Seems a long way from Agincourt both physically and mentally even though it was brave in its own way.

There's a lot of evidence that our neolithic ancestors hunted Mammoth with bows and arrows so I doubt that she was the first although she may conceivably be the last.

I can understand where she was coming from although its not a journey I would choose to take.

I'd rather kill for the pot that a sporting bet

The wound canal made by a broad head arrow is far bigger than that made by a full bore bullet .

Harnser .

Granted, Harnser, but arrows lack the bone-splintering and organ-liquefying kinetic energy of a bullet. And I find that feature reassuring.

Granted, Harnser, but arrows lack the bone-splintering and organ-liquefying kinetic energy of a bullet. And I find that feature reassuring.

Baldrick ,

You are of course right and that is the reason i prefer to shoot deer with a rifle . However the broad head arrow kills by inflicting massive cutting wounds from which the beast will bleed out very quickly . Every deer i saw shot with the bow ran on . The furthest we tracked one was for about half a mile . Most of them died within 200 yards and a lot of them were dead all most on the spot . Not to be compared to the sudden death of a rifle bullet . Evey deer i saw shot with the bow was in my opinion humane and sporting ,but they did not die as quickly as they would if hit by my trusty ruger .308 .

Harnser .

I don't agree with this because of the rarity of elephants. Shooting pigeons and rabbits which are in healthy supply across Britain is fine, but i have been led to believe that elephants are quite scarce, and to kill such an animal over a bet is reckless. If there is plenty of the animal, it's a pest and can be good use you can kill it with a pea shooter as long as the death is fast and humane (i don't think there are any pea shooters powerful enough for that).

Elephants are not rare and must be managed in many areas of Africa.

quick question, and no im not taking sides here, or stirring **** up, just wondering, how quickly could you put another arrow into a target if the first one was off target?

A follow up shot with the bow would be very improbable as the deer would run on very quickly if not shot in the vitals . If you followed the deer and found it standing with its head down you would be able to shoot it again . This could also happen with a deer shot with a rifle as it is not allways suitable or possible to take a second quick shot .

Harnser .

Hmmmm. My first thought about this was that it was just wrong, but the more i thought about it the more i appreciated the obvious skills necessary. I wouldn't go stalking an elephant armed with a bow for a start. It also struck me as a tad hypocritical for a load of guys who kill defenceless animals on a regular basis to criticise someone just because of their quarry and weapon system. All of those amongst us who can HONESTLY say they haven't gone shooting and taken chancy shots at quarry knowing full well there's a good chance they won't be killed cleanly form an orderly line...........no-one? Thought not.

To get up close and personal with a full grown african elephant in the bush is scary. I've got the t-shirt and it's a bit more worrying than sitting in a hide popping at pigeons i assure you. The woman's got balls i'll give her that.

Having said all that if the elephant had stomped on her i wouldn't have lost a lot of sleep either. :wub: