Doc Holliday

BBQ fuel  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your preferred method(s) of BBQing

• Wood
    • Charcoal
    • Gas
    • Other (please specify in your post)

i have a big bbq like a oil drum type and really solid joys of argos !! i was all for making my own but the mrs knows what im like :good: i would have just made a big mess and ended up with some thing **** and cost me **** loads of money to make lol ! so we went and bought it , really impressed with it its huge holds about 5 kilo of coal and must fit at least hmm 17-18 bit bits of steak on it :lol: only got to use it once last year so hoping for better weather to get it out again ! used my small fishing one the other day ( in the rain undr brolly) just cos i wanted some bbq chicken with jerk sauce

Gas for me. I love cooking over wood, and used to be a bit of a traditionalist, but when I have a barbie these days I spend more time making quality food to eat, and less time setting fire to myself in the garden! I'll be honest, although it pains me to say it, the difference in taste is negligable. And you can use wood chips etc to flavour the fire if you want.

Mine is a Sunshine Legend 5500. Massive, heavier than my car, and has a lit for roasting stuff. Very well built, I'll be amazed if it doesn't do me ten years at least. And cast iron all round, none of your nancy boy porcelain cooking surfaces. Yee hah!

You just be careful not to get any jerk sauce down your Hawiian shirt when your doing the honours. Would be good to see the "business side" of the counter as well where the punters stand. <_<

A bit shabby at the mo Doc, as ive not used it this year. Built the base last summer, but only just finished it.

SNC11585.jpg

Got the marble of a mate for free, as it was too good to throw away.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an old 45 gallon oil drum sliced in half length ways with a piece of mesh on top. I even have a 8"x8" piece of steel plate bolted to it as a hot plate, works a treat. Charcoal or wood in there and it burns a treat. Best bit is I can leave it out all year, and when it rusts up too much I just get another drum. It's my favourite price, free :good:

I use and have used for the last 15 years a griddle barbecue called a "Beauclaire" they are not cheap but mine has lasted over 15 years and I have cooked for upwards of 20 people at a time on mine when I was a member of the Goldwing Owners Club, it is the most efficient barbecue I have ever used cooks fantastic and has impressed hundreds of people over the years who have seen it, and it packs away very easy. how many barbecues do you know that have lasted that long and is easy to clean and pack.?

just put Beauclaire in any search engine and look for it.

"Here is a tip for all the charcoal users - use british charcoal not that awful Big K stuff or other foreign imported muck. You know the stuff, you have to stand there with a blow torch for half hour to get it going amid a relentless shower of sparks."

I don't agree with you on this mate. I have tried many charcoals over the years and the "foreign imported muck" is by far the best I have used. Being Greek we BBQ a lot, I'm not professing to know more than anyone else here but here's what I have found.

Charcoal is by far for me better than gas, the taste of the food does not compare between the two. Saying that I will soon be purchasing a gas BBQ as well but this will be more for convenience rather replacing my charcoal BBQ. When time allows it's charcoal for me every time, but as a last minute thing and weather permitting we'll use the gas BBQ instead of cooking indoors.

Lumpwood for me is the one that gives the food that great smoked taste. The next most important thing is how long the charcoal lasts, and Big K do lumpwood charcoal in a brown 20kg box. In London many of the Greek shops have them and they really are the best. They outlast anything else I have tried barring the big brown bags the kebab shops use which they are on par with. We have cooked on these for over 6 hours and the heat is constant. The red bags Big K do do not come close to the charcoal I have described, it doesn't last any where near as long and tends to be broken and dust like, The box type are log form and very easy to work with.

Last night we had wild sea bass on the charcoal and boy was it good :good: :good: :lol:

Edited by Cosd

As many have said gas is just so easy. Preheat for 10 mins then you have a constant heat to cook over for hours.

But we used to use charcoal and the flavour was much much better, but takes far to long to get up and running.

last sunday was the allotment holders bbq, the others all had sausages and burgers etc, but we'd had a bbq the previous evening and eaten all the bbq food in the freezer, i got some very strange looks when i unloaded by bag of pheasant and rabbit portions onto the grill along with the breasts of the woodys i'd shot that morning, by the end of the evening there were still burgers and sausages left but no game, ive even had people since asking if i can shoot some more woodys and rabbits for their bbqs, they are absolutely delicious cooked this way.

mikee