.22 lr sub sonic

I have just bought a CZ99 (remington model 5) .22 rifle off a nice chap off here. It's equipped with a SAK mod and was bought specifically for shooting bunnies quietly at night (hmr and air during the day).

My question is what's it's favourite flavour of rounds? I've heard that Eley are the best?

Your opinions welcome please!

Nige

I don't have that much experience - only a handful of weeks using a Browning T-Bolt rimmy - but having read many other threads on this subject I've chosen Eley Subsonic Hollow (the one's with the green sticker and bolting rabbit logo).

I got on okay with them while zeroing the scope and generally getting a feel for the rifle. After 300 rounds I could consistently put 10 bullets within an inch at 75 yards, and that was good enough for the headshots I wanted.

They are very quiet with my SAK mod, so no problems there.

But, this last few days I've been missing the target. I thought I'd knocked the scope, so before I messed about rezeroing it I checked the bullets and found that half of a box had their hollow points filled with lead.

I shot 10 that weren't hollow and they shot high (about 2in) and then 10 that were perfect with their true hollow points, and they hit the bull every time.

Since then I've moved on to Eley Subs Xtra Plus and checked them all and they are perfectly made - so no probs there.

I expect they will give similar if not slightly better performance than the older Eley Subs Hollow. :hmm:

I'll let you know....

Edited by Toombsy

I must be the only one with no preference!

Ive put 2000 Eley and 2000 Winchester through my new CZ Style in the last 4 months. The bolt has cycled both brands no problem and i've shot both brands side by side and the groups have been the same. Both very good!

I would say that the Winchesters do seem to stop better although if your head shooting Rabbits there shouldn't be a difference.

I've stuck with the Winchesters because they are £5 a brick cheaper than Eleys from my supplier. I also find the cardboard boxes easier to load from rather than the plastic Eley ones.

P.s I'm not keen on the smell the Eleys give off when fired! Anyone else noticed this? Must be the lubricant they use.

I'm not keen on the smell the Eleys give off when fired! Anyone else noticed this? Must be the lubricant they use.

I like the smell that the Eleys' powder gives off. It smells like victory.

I use Eley or RWS HP subs only, as they are the most consistent between batches. I gave up with Winchesters last year. Lapua are very accurate but revoltingly greasy. CCI are utter rubbish.

I'd echo what SS says,

I use Winchester subs in my 10/22. Eleys actually group better but don't cycle very well. Still I am not efter winning competitions with it, I can hit a rabbit in the head at 75 - 80 yards and that is good enough.