Which Berretta?!

robmiller

Hi guys

Ok, i hope this doesnt sounds like a stupid posting, but here goes!

I currently have a lanber, brilliant gun........... but i am in a position where i fancy a change!

I was going to go for Bettisoni or a new lanber but have decided to wait a while, put the money away and try and get myself a Berretta (second hand). Not being a member of the Berretta cult before, i am a bit puzzled by the different models.

I am looking for a gun that i can use for both Clays and game. Am in a small walk up shoot but want a gun i can use week in at small clay shoots.

I would really appreciate any guidance on this. Am looking for something at a sensible price (if there is such a thing!)

thanks

Rob

I agree with Olly, except you might want to go for a game spec Silver Pigeon not a sporter if you are going to do a fair bit of walked up. A sporter is heavier to carry and a game gun is still good for Clays - I shot the Beretta World's last year and it was fine. Well not really but that was down to the user not the gun! ;-). An ultralight is nice, about the weight of a 20 bore but won't soak up much recoil, which could be an issue on the clay range.

Simple answer is if you shoot more clays get a sporter, if not get a game spec. I love 'em and now have 4 - 28" 12g and 20g game specs, a 30" multi choke sporter for clays and a 30" 20g multi choke for best high bird days.

Just my two pennorth.

Jonny.

I bought a Beretta Al390 Semi and VERY happy with it :good:

Apart from my Cogswell and Harrison, I never had a gun fit so well. Rabbit shooting with full choke or in the hide for pigeons with 1/4 choke great :good: 3 shots out in the field is better than 2 on some occasions.

Makes me wonder what to do with my Miroku which I also love as a great all-rounder

Hmmm so i have three choices there! Come on keep arguing! Am learning!

I will have a few walk up shoots but getting more and more into the clays. I imagine my rough shoots will be for my rifle mostly and maybe the odd outing for the pigeons.

I was thinking around the 700 - 900 mark

Should have added that a decent Beretta or Browning will always sell well so depreciation should never be an issue. all the beretta's I have bought are probably worth more now than what I paid for them.

Silver Pig will look better on the game days than a 682 thing.

682 thing

687 SPORTING ???:good:

DANGER............ :good: :good: :good: The lighter gun the greater the recoil ....i only weigh 10 1/2 stone so its important for me and if you did a 100 bird sporting with a game gun you may know about it the next day.... depends on you though ... you can always eat more pies :lol: :lol: :D:yes: :yes:

Edited by funky

I have got a beretta silver pigeon game gun and don't listen to what they say about recoil. Mine is a game gun and i have put 250 21g carts through it in a day and not felt a thing. i have put i think around 100 30g 6s through it in a day and not felt it either and i am only 10 stone so dont worry about it. I would say just get the beretta silver pigeon S game in 28 inch barrels, thats what i have got and love it.

Hope it helps,

George

Edited by groach1234

Hmmm so i have three choices there! Come on keep arguing! Am learning!

I will have a few walk up shoots but getting more and more into the clays. I imagine my rough shoots will be for my rifle mostly and maybe the odd outing for the pigeons.

I was thinking around the 700 - 900 mark

In that case get a682S

I use mine for clays mainly but I have used it for rough shooting as well.

An excellent gun in more ways than one.

I have got a beretta silver pigeon game gun and don't listen to what they say about recoil. Mine is a game gun and i have put 250 21g carts through it in a day and not felt a thing. i have put i think around 100 30g 6s through it in a day and not felt it either and i am only 10 stone so dont worry about it. I would say just get the beretta silver pigeon S game in 28 inch barrels, thats what i have got and love it.

Hope it helps,

George

:good:

I was in exactly the same situation as you, I wanted a dual purpose O/U for pigeon, game and clays. I bought a nearly new Silver Pigeon S 28" multi choke game gun. I love it :lol: I was worried a bit about recoil but soon after I got it I fired 200 carts in a day at a local clay ground without a problem. As well as doing the job, it is very well put together and just feels 'quality' :(

My dad has a SP S in game with 28" barrels (he's 78 and shoots 21g loads through it for clays) whilst I went for the SPIII ltd ed sporter with 30"s. I can use both ok but as I tend to swing fast I prefer the weight of the sporter with longer barrels as it seems to smooth out my tendency to snatch the swing. I don't mind carrying around the heavier gun although if I was only going to take a couple of shots all day when walking a fair distance I'd probably borrow my dads.

Either way... you can't really go wrong if the silver pigeon fits you. I just love mine... the extra engraving and wood quality was well worth paying a bit extra for... I keep saying to myself as my credit card balance slowly gets smaller :blink:

Edited by Scarpa