best times to shoot

rigwallet

After a few rides around my permission this last week I've noticed that only a few pigeons have been coming in to the fields at around 7am, feeding until around 11.30, then resting in trees until around 2pm.

I've noticed that there's loads more pigeons feeding again on the fields from around 2pm until about 9pm.

So, afternoons and evenings might be the most productive at this time of year.

Anyone else got any theories...?

The "best time" is when the pigeons are there and feeding.

That time varies throughout the year, it also depends on the weather and the crop and a few other factors.

The best answer is reconnaisance and get to know your permissions throughout the year.

Its not the perfect solution, but its a lot better than a complete hit or miss approach.

This time of year, i generally get set up to shoot by around 10-11 am. I did this on saturday on a pea field, with only around 6 birds on the field when i arrived. Within 2 hours i had bagged around 35. I shot through until around 6, and ended with 93. The peak time was probably around 3pm, but i think if i'd only got set up at that time i may have run the risk of the birds having a good feed before i got there, limiting my chances. It normally works for me to set up at around 10 - 11 am no matter what the crop- peas, rape stubble etc. I know that Peter theobald generally prefers this kind of time to set up too, having shot with him a few times.

Having said all this, i also love getting home from work at 4pm and shooting 20 or 30.

After a few rides around my permission this last week I've noticed that only a few pigeons have been coming in to the fields at around 7am, feeding until around 11.30, then resting in trees until around 2pm.

I've noticed that there's loads more pigeons feeding again on the fields from around 2pm until about 9pm.

So, afternoons and evenings might be the most productive at this time of year.

Anyone else got any theories...?

:blink:

I have as of late been doing the above, for the last 3 weeks. As the crops (BEANS) are getting higher I am looking for an area that is not so high like the corners or edges where they have been feeding the most so too set up my decoys. I have been keeping the freshest 2 for my bouncers which i have found better than my rotary lately due to the sunny conditions we are having as of late me thinks. I am using the > - < or open ) - ( pattern depending on the wind and hide set up area with my 2 bouncers either coming into land, flying out or flying into the sittie tree.

As for the times I am finding that between 11:30ish till 14:30 ish tends to be quiet after this time it has picked up a little then after 17:00 ish till 19:30/20:00 ish time they are coming in on piece. Hope this has helped. :ermm:

whats best time of the day to go shooting pogeons thats if there is one thanks

Given that the birds behave differently in different parts of the country you'll only really know if you go and find out from them. Go look in the morning, at midday and again after about 16.00 then maybe you'll build a picture of what's happening in your area. Here (at this time of year) I wouldn't bother going after about 09.00 in the morning until after 16.00 in the afternoon but be prepared to stay late, maybe 21.00. Sitting in a hide at this time of year during midday with a full sun and plenty of flies isn't my idea of fun!

Around me it all has to do with what crop there feeding on ie spring rape there on from first light till after 8pm most of the birds tho are feeding better late .

as for peas a few birds feeding first thing but there are more there late on but with the weather being so warm they are feeding on the rape and the peas harder as they are needing the juisey plants as there are no puddles now . Best to look at the field they are on a few times in the day to build a picture up of when they are there and when they are not !

Tom

Recon is the answer . why not spend the whole day with your hide set up and your deeks out . you will soon see when the birds come in to feed . Even if you have a nap half way through the day it wont matter .

Harnser .

That sounds like my kind of Pigeon shooting :blink: :yes::yes::yes: But joking aside reccy is the way forward- have a look at different times of day and on different land if you have some- a picture will build up from keeping youre eyes open :hmm:

Les :good:

• 1 month later...

On ave' through the year It's mid morning with the odd one showing all through the morning.

I only go at times from dawn to around 1pm though.

I have gone afternoons & roost eve's before but when time is controlled for you the choice is limited.

I still prefer to go early, set up & pot the odd one ready for the busy time around 11am under the sitty tree.