Muntjac...Minimum caliber??

Hi everyone i know this is the biggest can of worms about to be opened but........... I've possibly got the oppertunity coming up in the near future to shoot muntie's and was wondering what caliber of rifle to go for when i ask for my variation on my licence as at the minute my biggest rifle is a .222 using 50grn balistic tipped remmington rounds ( shop bought not home loads. ) If anyone can point me in the diretion of an existing thread or offer advice that would be good.

Cheers Jethro

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

Just one thing to add to marks response....you also need to use a soft point bullet designed for the job in hand, and not a ballistic tipped bullet designed for varminting.

Guest topshot_2k
Just one thing to add to marks response....you also need to use a soft point bullet designed for the job in hand, and not a ballistic tipped bullet designed for varminting.

You can:

Rifle bullets must be either hollow nosed or soft nosed.

Note: this is generally interpreted to include “ballistic tip†and other bullets designed to deform in a predictable manner

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/pdf/gui...es%20170309.pdf

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

Now that surely cannot be right.

I shot 6 the other night with my 0.22 rimmy at ranges from 100 - 200 yards :D:D

It was a night with no wind though :P :yp:

I just aimed 15 yards up, and a smidgin to the left to allow for the earth's rotation.

Don

England and Wales

:P Mark and browning are spot on, most factory soft point .222 is around the 1100 ftlbs energy level, but check first. ( manufactures web site :yp: )

Hi all thanks for a good thought provoking response, I was thinking about a .243 as my variation as the chap i did my apprenticship with had one for deer control, but i suppose its a case of happy medium? a heavy large caliber that will anihalate the munty or smaller round ie 222 or 223 that might not be man enough/ leagal.

Jethro

Hi all thanks for a good thought provoking response, I was thinking about a .243 as my variation as the chap i did my apprenticship with had one for deer control, but i suppose its a case of happy medium? a heavy large caliber that will anihalate the munty or smaller round ie 222 or 223 that might not be man enough/ leagal.

Jethro

The 222 and 223 will do more than enough with the right bullets :P

You can:

Rifle bullets must be either hollow nosed or soft nosed.

Note: this is generally interpreted to include “ballistic tip†and other bullets designed to deform in a predictable manner

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/pdf/gui...es%20170309.pdf

Just been looking at the website you posted the link for, very informative and well laid out thanks for that one topshot.

Guest topshot_2k
Just been looking at the website you posted the link for, very informative and well laid out thanks for that one topshot.

no worries, it does have some good info and easy to read :hmm:

Edited by topshot_2k

Jethro

I doubt catridge damage wouldn't differ much at all with the 243, 223 or 222. It depends on what bullets you use :P

Id go for the 243 (actually I did :good: ) you can shoot ANY deer you might come across, and dont be fooled. Its a cracking fox round :good: