Can i return a faulty gun

robmiller

I recently acquired a gun from a gunshop. It does not cycle rounds properly and has given bad service from day one! I have only fired a small number of rounds through it!

I am not happy with it at all, and am wondering if anyone else has ever had the same problem?

My query is, could i return it for a refund or to spend the amount on another gun in the shop!?

Cheers

Yes you should be able to return it, but you will have to allow the seller chance to put the fault right. If after this it is still no better, you can return it under the consumer protection act (1984?) as being not fit for purpose. Your local Trading Standards Office will help with advice on returning faulty goods as will Citizens advice.

ft

As Flytie says, although you need to ensure that you have been using it within its proper perameters, before you take it back to complain.....

(e.g. not using loads smaller or lighter than it recommends as a minimum)

Edited by The Burpster

Hi

I guess you are talking about the semi auto you have as you say it does not cycle.I bought a Webly & Scott SA and had the same problem

Once I changed to cartrdiges 70mm or longer the gun was no bother.Maybe you have a similar problem

Hogey

Yes you should be able to return it, but you will have to allow the seller chance to put the fault right. If after this it is still no better, you can return it under the consumer protection act (1984?) as being not fit for purpose. Your local Trading Standards Office will help with advice on returning faulty goods as will Citizens advice.

ft

No offence but this is incorrect information,

You have the right to reject an item if it is not fit for purpose and gain a full refund under the sale of goods act,

If you let a vendor try to fix the item you are seen to have accepted the item making it harder to rerject it under current law

If you do this however you can still demand a replacement item if the origional item is not suitably fix in an (unstated as it varys from item to item) acceptable time frame

If you paid for the item before seeing it ie did the deal under the "distance selling regulations" you can reject an item simply because you dont like it anything up to 6 months after the point of sale

If the item is second hand it should be fit for purpose at the point of sale AND the "burdon of proof" is on the seller

hope this helps

OF COURSE THERE ARE EXEMTIONS AND VARIATIONS this is a very broad outline of current tradeing standards regulations

kennym

It might depend on your definition of "recently". If you bought it within the last couple of weeks and have told them of the problems from day one - I believe you can demand a refund. If you have had it a few months - no matter how little shells you have put through it - I think you will struggle.

Good luck with it. See what they say and be reasonable.

No offence but this is incorrect information,

You have the right to reject an item if it is not fit for purpose and gain a full refund under the sale of goods act,

If you let a vendor try to fix the item you are seen to have accepted the item making it harder to rerject it under current law

If you do this however you can still demand a replacement item if the origional item is not suitably fix in an (unstated as it varys from item to item) acceptable time frame

If you paid for the item before seeing it ie did the deal under the "distance selling regulations" you can reject an item simply because you dont like it anything up to 6 months after the point of sale

If the item is second hand it should be fit for purpose at the point of sale AND the "burdon of proof" is on the seller

hope this helps

OF COURSE THERE ARE EXEMTIONS AND VARIATIONS this is a very broad outline of current tradeing standards regulations

kennym

Odd that my info is incorrect, as this advice was given to my wife by a trading standards officer in a dispute we are currently having. I will ask him for clarification.

ft

Kennym and Flytie, I`ve just looked at my notes from a Nvq customer service course, Kennym quotes more or less the Sale of Goods act (1873) ammended 1973.

Flytie advice is also in my notes if not word for word, but I can`t see a referance to the Consumer Protection act 1984.

I think either way if they are a reputable firm they should replace no questions asked unless the item was used or sold as seen, but again if it was used it should have at least 3 months warrenty.

This is the relevant quote from the ammended act;

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

Not your money back!

The act was 1994 sorry, here is the full version;

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/.../page38311.html

ft

No such thing as a cooling of period on MOST goods bought in shops,...

you dont have to give any warrany (manufactures warrantys are a seperate issue) you have to however sell goods which are fit for purpose, and if a problem arises the vendor it was not caused by or be due to a fault at the point of sale

As far as getting your money back you can do this by "rejecting" an item and returning it to the vendor

MY PERSONAL ADVICE IS TO FORGET ALL THIS (initially) and speak to the vendor in a polite reasonable manor, dont be a push over but dont be agresive, if you are met with ressistance work it into the conversation that the law and the trading standards would suport you in a disspute, BUT THATS THE LAST THING YOU WANT

AGREMENT IS BETTER THAN CONFRONTATION

No such thing as a cooling of period on MOST goods bought in shops,...

you dont have to give any warrany (manufactures warrantys are a seperate issue) you have to however sell goods which are fit for purpose, and if a problem arises the vendor it was not caused by or be due to a fault at the point of sale

As far as getting your money back you can do this by "rejecting" an item and returning it to the vendor

MY PERSONAL ADVICE IS TO FORGET ALL THIS (initially) and speak to the vendor in a polite reasonable manor, dont be a push over but dont be agresive, if you are met with ressistance work it into the conversation that the law and the trading standards would suport you in a disspute, BUT THATS THE LAST THING YOU WANT

AGREMENT IS BETTER THAN CONFRONTATION

I agree with most of the above, but in the act it states, and i quote:

"• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)".

So rejecting an item is not as easy as you make out, it is a grey area and "not defined". Give the vendor time to repair or replace in an agreeable dialogue and I am sure you will be fine. Only go down the "Not Fit For Purpose" route as a last resort. "Jaw Jaw is better than War War", as a famous former First Lord Of The Admiralty once said.

Atb, ft

OK seen as were more or less on the same page to-ing and fro-ing is futile...............but I cant resist, your quote talks about goods not been fit at the point of sale which means you can reject an item as not fit for purpose, very easy very simple, the unstipulated time period takes into acount differant items ie if you drive a second hand car each day, faults would be found in a shot time period .... but if you clay shoot 20 clays once a week, a fault that ony happens every 50 shots could take longer to find (hypothetical senarios)

if however if a fault hapens after the point of sale, you can still reject the item but its cause can be desputed by the vendor who could for instance site miss use as a cause thats when it can get gray....therfore fixing or replacing is an easyer option

but we agree its best to not get into that