Crossbows - why the hell are they not licensed?

Went to the gun/model shop the other day for a quick look at air rifles.

I then noticed the huge compound bows for sale, to the general public.

how is it that lethal weapons what can kill at long range, silently are readily available.

while me applying for a FAC is a never ending story :look:

Whats all that about?

I bet I can throw a brick about as far as a crosbow bolt is deadly(nearly) and bricks arnt licensed, nor are knifes which are pretty sharp, or forks, and them coat hangers... well you could have someones eye out with one!!!

On a serious note...

I think its a question of drawing the line somewhere. Its currently very illigal to take anything with a bow so there is not much call for them, they are also very slow to cycle and not the most concealable tool on the market

no offence but if you kept your stories straight we could help you... in the title you say crossbow and in the message you say compound... they are different... it is as libs says illegal to take quarry with a bow of any sort in the uk, they are powerful... but to be honest... they take a while to cycle, they may be high power, my cousin carl has a 55lb draw strength compound bow and there is nothing wrong with them, anything can be high power, but it doesnt mean it needs licensing, i have a petrol lawn mower, but i dont need a license for it... dont worry about it, if your so annoyed that the bows dont require licensing and your FAC is taking so long get a bow and use it for targets... as libs said, they arent that concealable and dont have the same range as a rifle...

Modern military and paramilitary use

In the Americas, the Peruvian army (Ejército) equips some soldiers with crossbows and rope, to establish a zip-line in difficult terrain.[28] In Brazil the CIGS (Jungle Warfare Training Center) also trains soldiers in the use of crossbows.[29][30]

In Europe, British based Barnett International supplied crossbows to Serbian forces which according to The Guardian were later used "in ambushes and as a counter-sniper weapon", against the Kosovo Liberation Army during the Kosovo War in the areas of Pec and Djakovica, south west of Kosovo. [31]. Whitehall launched an investigation, though the department of trade and industry established that not being "on the military list" crossbows were not covered by such export regulations. Paul Beaver of Jane's defence publications commented that, "They are not only a silent killer, they also have a psychological effect". On February 15, 2008 Serbian Minister of Defence Dragan Sutanovac was pictured testing a Barnett crossbow during a public exercise of the Serbian army's Special Forces in Nis, 200 km south of capital Belgrade.[32] Special forces in both Greece and Turkey also continue to employ the crossbow.[33][34]

In Asia, Chinese armed forces use crossbows at all unit levels from traffic police to the special forces units of the People's Liberation Army.[35][36][37] One justification for this comes in the crossbow's ability to stop persons carrying explosives without risk of causing detonation.[38]Indian Navy's Marine Commando Force were equipped until the late 1980s with crossbows supplied with cyanide-tipped arrows, as an alternative to suppressed handguns.[39]

from wiki - here

I bet I can throw a brick about as far as a crosbow bolt is deadly(nearly) and bricks arnt licensed, nor are knifes which are pretty sharp, or forks, and them coat hangers... well you could have someones eye out with one!!!

On a serious note...

I think its a question of drawing the line somewhere. Its currently very illigal to take anything with a bow so there is not much call for them, they are also very slow to cycle and not the most concealable tool on the market

:P You seen the distance a crosbow bolt will go and retain energy to kill you?

FM :good:

On a serious note...

explain why then muzzle loading shotguns are licenced because they have shorter range, slower cycle rate, less concealable and there louder :P?:good:?:good:?:lol:?

also explain this if cross bows are about as powerful as you armed to the teeth with a brick how comes this guys kills a full grown bull elephant with one :lol:??

by the way it's also very ilegal to shoot people with shotguns and rifles but it doesn't mean to say there is no call for them though does it ? you both have a point on one hand how far do you go with restrictions to joe public and on the other they are lethal weapons in the wrong hands.

The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m) . This was shot by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held — and pulled — bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited conventional Flight bow in 1987. My 40kg Compound World Record of 1,162 yards was made shooting a 30 kg bow — I can't pull 40 kg

Robin Hood?:P??? Crossbow?:good:?:good: I think you will find it was a Longbow my deluded chum. T'was William Tell who was famed for his crossbow antics

im an up to date version of william tell! stick an apple on your head mate and ill shoot it at 15 yards with the mossy :lol:

The problem in this country is the first whiff of misuse (guns, knives, dogs) and it's "ban them".

Handguns are illegal and people still shoot and get shot with handguns.

The more logical approach is ban chavs and fidiots; then everyone else who is not a chav or a ****** could have a handgun etc....

I always wondered if it was because you can make a bow pretty easily using just the correct wood and a good bit of string were as a shotgun or rifle needs powder and other components you can just find layin about, and also there more seen as english heratige item's i do belive it's still technically against the law not to teach your son archery on a sunday

A crossbow is hardly long range...a 50 yard shot is testing, 30 yards is more realistic.

Steve

i personally have seen a crossbow bolt go through a bike (motor) crash helmet at 100yds. through!! not bounce off.

very scarey thing to see.

Remember that it is not very long ago that shotguns did not require a license, well not exactly true as we used to buy them from the post office the same as a dog license along with our stamps.

Then some bright spark decided the police would issue them and it grew from there into the daft nonsense we have today.

It's not guns, crossbows or cricket bats that kill......... it's people. Look at the handgun ban, fat lot of good that has done.

Personally I can't see the justification in banning or licensing anything except for the scrotes who cause the trouble.