Camo tape on a double-barrel gun?

Al Downie

Apologies if this has been done before - I tried searching but all the search terms I entered brought back gazillions of irrelevant results...

Despite all the lengths that folk go to to make sure that their camouflage is bang on, I've never seen anyone with camo tape on the barrels of their gun. There are plenty of camouflaged semi-autos around, but I'm wondering why folk who use double-barrels don't wrap a bit of tape around them to prevent a glint of light from a shiny barrel spooking birds as they come in to look at decoys. Jack Pyke makes some great non-adhesive 2" tape (which I've put on my air rifle) which binds to itself rather than the gun and can be removed at any time without marking the gun, so it could be put on for pest control during the summer and removed for the start of the game season. Easy.

Is it something to do with tradition? Is there a technical reason?

After many years of shooting i have never felt the need to put cammo tape on a gun . When shooting from a hide the gun is behind the net and is not raised untill the very last second . I suppose if you were going to sit with your gun above the net than a bit of tape would help .

Harnser .

Why anyone would want to ruin the looks of any shotgun or rifle with camo tape is completely beyond me.

People have shot millions of pigeons, rabbits, hares and squirrels before camo tape was created.... and once it's plastered all over the barrels, how are you going to detect, prevent or halt any rust?

That aside, by the time you've seen a bird approaching, chances are your gun's going to be pointed towards the bird anyway, and that causes no glare from the barrels or action.

After many years of shooting i have never felt the need to put cammo tape on a gun . When shooting from a hide the gun is behind the net and is not raised untill the very last second . I suppose if you were going to sit with your gun above the net than a bit of tape would help .

Harnser .

Why anyone would want to ruin the looks of any shotgun or rifle with camo tape is completely beyond me.

People have shot millions of pigeons, rabbits, hares and squirrels before camo tape was created.... and once it's plastered all over the barrels, how are you going to detect, prevent or halt any rust?

That aside, by the time you've seen a bird approaching, chances are your gun's going to be pointed towards the bird anyway, and that causes no glare from the barrels or action.

Those two posts say it all. :good:

But you could say the same about face veils and realtree patterns - people have been managing prefectly well without for a hundred years, but most folk swear by them now.

I absolutely share the point of view that the traditions and aesthetics of driven/walked-up game shooting should be preserved, but pest control from a hide isn't quite the same thing. I'm not trying to belittle it as a pastime (I wouldn't be here if that was the case!); just wondering why folk will camouflage everything they can except their gun. Being a shiny, cylindrical surface, a gun barrel is bound to produce some kind of reflection for any birds which are circling overhead to check out your decoys?

But you could say the same about face veils and realtree patterns - people have been managing prefectly well without for a hundred years, but most folk swear by them now.

I absolutely share the point of view that the traditions and aesthetics of driven/walked-up game shooting should be preserved, but pest control from a hide isn't quite the same thing. I'm not trying to belittle it as a pastime (I wouldn't be here if that was the case!); just wondering why folk will camouflage everything they can except their gun. Being a shiny, cylindrical surface, a gun barrel is bound to produce some kind of reflection for any birds which are circling overhead to check out your decoys?

I agree with the above.

We spend a lot of money and time to make ourselves as inconspicuous as possible and search for the best decoys, nets and other gizmos then point a black shiney stick over the top of a hide, some of the camo stuff we use is excelent and with that gives us confidence, if tape or a barrel sock adds to that confidence then its a plus if a shiney barrel is of concern.

I read many years ago an article by a well known rifle shooter that nothing in nature is black straight and shiney yet we all try to blend with the country foliage to fox our prey with almost everything else.

I have shot for enough years to have got through useing the latest , best , most exspensive gun i could afford, i personaly do not go pigeon shooting to look at my gun or impress others with its beauty, i go to enjoy the sport, enjoy the day and do a job for the farmer.

The reason i use covered barrels came about when i lent a friend one of my guns, he shot the top of a field and me the bottom, it was a sunny day and quite often i could see the flash of the barrels as he took a shot, if i could see the flash then im sure a pigeon could, which may have spooked and could have been his next shot.

Yes the barrels should be inspected regularily under the tape or sock and a sock is much easier for that.

The gun should stay down till the shot is to be taken.

If you think covering the barrels will help in any way then do it!

If you dont think it nessesary then dont!

Simples!

I first went pigeon shooting over 45 years ago, wore an ex Army face net, also gloves and was in a hide made from ex MoD camo netting.

Nothing regarding the art of concealment is new in pigeon shooting.

The specific question was regarding camouflaging gun barrels and the response was, that some of us don't think its necessary.

That has nothing to do with tradition, or diminishing pigeon shooting, its just an honest answer to the question.

I first went pigeon shooting over 45 years ago, wore an ex Army face net, also gloves and was in a hide made from ex MoD camo netting.

Nothing regarding the art of concealment is new in pigeon shooting.

The specific question was regarding camouflaging gun barrels and the response was, that some of us don't think its necessary.

That has nothing to do with tradition, or diminishing pigeon shooting, its just an honest answer to the question.

And boy ,cranfield wasent that mod cammo netting heavy . Used to take two of us to carry it on a pole .

Harnser .

your gun barrels can get really hot if you have plenty of action one lad i was shooting pigeons with said to feel his barrels they were red hot and if he had camo tape on there would be a good chance it melted or stuck to the barrels permantly which if you tried to remove at a later date would leave them a mess either buy a gun already dipped or use a sock

Apologies if this has been done before - I tried searching but all the search terms I entered brought back gazillions of irrelevant results...

Despite all the lengths that folk go to to make sure that their camouflage is bang on, I've never seen anyone with camo tape on the barrels of their gun. There are plenty of camouflaged semi-autos around, but I'm wondering why folk who use double-barrels don't wrap a bit of tape around them to prevent a glint of light from a shiny barrel spooking birds as they come in to look at decoys. Jack Pyke makes some great non-adhesive 2" tape (which I've put on my air rifle) which binds to itself rather than the gun and can be removed at any time without marking the gun, so it could be put on for pest control during the summer and removed for the start of the game season. Easy.

Is it something to do with tradition? Is there a technical reason?

It's your gun you do what you want with it.

Aslong as it does not interfere with keeping the barrels cool.

taz.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Jack Pyke tape on my barrels. However I often walk the edges of the fields rather than camp down behind netting, but even on those ocassions I still leave the tape on.

I take it off everytime I clean the gun which is after everyshoot, so no worries about concealing any rust.

I have just however bought a cammo semi auto (pick it up tomorrow) and will be using the O/U for clays now (can't see me taking the semi cammo'd up to a clay club)

• 4 weeks later...

In my view tradition! Also pheasants do not appear to be as gun-wary (where I live) as pigeons and corvids.

My main reason for use its to stop the light reflecting off the barrel/s.

I use a camo gun-sock on my auto as it has high-gloss bluing. This has been reinforced by cloth-tape around the action as the sock goes loose over time.

I have Jack Pyke tape on my old Lincoln and Hushy Norica .410's. These are well used guns and I am not overly worried over their appearance.

I used the same tape on my HW100 and yesterday removed what was around the scope/fore-end.

The tape had frayed under the fore-end from use and came off in a couple of pieces.

As I am looking at new scope mounts I have left the tape on from the barrel support/collar to the end of the silencer.

The tape has discoloured the stock, I think this is because it has “wicked” up the oil.

There was some stick residue left, but this was buffed off with a lint free cloth.

I will re-finish the stock before applying more tape.

The Viper scope was unmarked apart from a small amount of residue, the HW100 action was unmarked.

Being a lazy g1t the tape has only been removed when the guns get wet. :good:

I found the tactile nature of the tape enhanced grip and gave a small amount of protection when resting on door-mirrors etc.

I would not use the tape on a magnet as I think it would attract too much dust.

Would I use it on a best gun? No, I'd want to show it off!

Mark