FAC interview

mikee

Harnser came over last night to have a look around my new stalking ground as he has offered to mentor me should the FEO want this condition, its only about 350acres of arable land with very few trees so its never going to be like thetford forrest, then i showed him round my pigeon land which is in the next village

thanks Harnser for your time, to come over and look around and for the mentor offer, newbies like me would be stuffed without people like you who are prepared to pass on the knowledge.

What did you think of my little pigeon shooting patch, enough there to keep a boy interested dont you think.

Cheers Harnser

mikee

just had my fac interview and showed the feo round my stalking land, we got 1/2 way round and he said he'd seen enough to know it was ok for .243, he said he would grant the fac definately for .22lr and the 243 for fox but wants to speak to harnser who has agreed to be a mentor as to weather or not i would get "deer accompanied" as a condition or maybe i would need to sit the DMQ1, personally i cant see the difference between a fox and a deer, safety is safety what ever you shoot but i didnt want to rock the boat so as soon as ive sent him some better scale maps showing the land he'll sent the cert.

please no daft comments about the fox and deer comment i can really tell them apart

yippeeeee (touch wood)

mikee :good:

well done so far, I have to say I can't see their problem with deer its a fairly ridiculous situation where deer are made out to be something special that needs extra qualifications to shoot as lets face it you're still letting off a centre fire round so either you're capable of it or not. carcas preparation etc has nothing at all to do with the police and really it out to be spelt out to them by shooting organisations but sadly the Deer stalking fraternity are pretty well in there and like to keep it exclusive and themselves in training jobs.

But heres hoping you get the mentor route in as thats by far the best way

Edited by al4x

It really depends on how they word your FAC conditions.

I don't shoot many deer, but have Muntjac and CWD on ticket for .223...

My conditions simply state "...When accompanied for stalking"

Yet I have friends (who I might add, have shot many more deer than me) who's state "...when accompanied by an experienced deer stalker, acting as a mentor"

I take accompanied, simply to mean either a mate or my dog... :good:

It really depends on how they word your FAC conditions.

I don't shoot many deer, but have Muntjac and CWD on ticket for .223...

My conditions simply state "...When accompanied for stalking"

Yet I have friends (who I might add, have shot many more deer than me) who's state "...when accompanied by an experienced deer stalker, acting as a mentor"

I take accompanied, simply to mean either a mate or my dog... :good:

Good point gary , Take note mikee .

Harnser .

I am very pleased for Mikee that he has got to the issue stage of his FAC ticket . Mikee is very keen to get into stalking and has gone about it in the proper way . As mikee has said I have offered to mentor him if it becomes necessary and I am awaiting a call from his flo . I have never mentored anybody before and am not sure what is expected of me . I dont think that you can teach anybody how to actually stalk a deer ,as this is something you have to teach yourself over a period of time . But what I can do and will do is to teach Mikee to shoot a centre fire rifle safley as possible in the country side . I will also teach him the best shot to take in different circumstances . I will also teach him something about marksmanship and will expect a him to be able to shoot at the very least a 3inch group @ 100 yards . So be careful Mikee I shall be watching you .

Harnser .

well since the FEO said he would send the ticket ive just reserved a .22lr from steve beaty in somerset, its a brand spanking new remington walnut and blue metal 541-T sporter, screwcut for £400 he is going to ship it to my local RFD, does anyone have any experience of this model, ive read all the blurb i can find and i reckon its a bargain,

mikee