pigeon chokes

shootingmad

Hi depends on whether your decoying or walking?

I personally use 1/4 choke for decoying and walking up I use 3/4 to full. Factors to consider are what size shot are you using and the distance your shooting over?:)?

Regards Alan

The further the target the tighter the choke needed to give a good chance of a clean kill.As a rough guide i would be happy with cylinder and quater for most decoying and quater and three quaters for walked up.If you use an O/U m/c make sure you get the chokes the right way round.For decoy work you need the most open choke first as the birds fly over the pattern of decoys seeking a landing spot-then the tighter choke to pick off a second (hopefully) as the rest scatter for safety (however -sometimes the birds try flying right over the top of you after the first shot so you may need to select the tighter choked barrell first).If you get too worried about the choking of your gun you will never hit anything-some of the best pigeon shooting i've ever enjoyed has been with a muzzle loader and these are generally choked cylinder/cylinder.You will also find that some cartridges pattern tighter than others despite using identical chokes-try your favourite shell over the distance you most commonly shoot and see how many gaps are in your pattern-if theres too many then try a tighter choke.

For years I used to have 1\2 and full chokes in my guns. I had them bored out for steel when wildfowling to improved cylinder and never looked back. I kill birds just as high with I\C as i ever did with full choke , and I hit a lot more birds.

I use 1/4 bottom barrel and 1/2 top barrel. iv messed around for ages trying to decide what's best :yes: , I shoot over decoys most of the time or sit under the trees and wait for the birds to come in to roost ,the chokes i have in work fine for me, chokes were invented by the devil :yes::o

Edited by richie76

I used to shoot quarter in both barrels, but found I was wounding too many birds.

Now I use half choke in both barrels, and always shoot lead No6s, 30g or more.

Almost everything I hit is dead in the air now.

Except rabbits.

They're dead on the ground.

:welcomeani:

i also use 1/4 and 1/2 but i use the 1/4 in the top barrell because its easier to re-load the top one if you are in a hurry and only fired the one shot, does anyone else do this?

I do yeah, everyone else seems to do it the opposite way around, but like you said, I find it easier to reload the top barrel than the bottom.

Personal preference I suppose, but that way works for me :hmm: