Sloes

DaveK

How's your crop coming on?

After a disastrous 2008 it seems that this year will be a cracker. both of my blackthorn patches are promising me uggins of the little purple beauties.

ASDA cheap gin and vodka will be bought in plentiful supply.

Anyone tried making sloe whisky?

I've got 7 litres of sloe vodka sitting nicely under the worktop :hmm: should come out nicely at the beginning of December :crazy:

Unfortunately, due to the demise of last years crop, 2007's crop has been drunk so we'll be starting from scratch again ???

Ok, throw me a bone here, does the addition of sloes to gin mask the taste of juniper etc that makes gin so :crazy::hmm:????????? ?

I had a bad experience with the stuff as a young man and cannot be in the same room as an open bottle, but everyone keeps saying how good it is.

ZB

Ok, throw me a bone here, does the addition of sloes to gin mask the taste of juniper etc that makes gin so :crazy::hmm:????????? ?

I had a bad experience with the stuff as a young man and cannot be in the same room as an open bottle, but everyone keeps saying how good it is.

ZB

I wouldn't want to spoil the experience for you.

I absolutely abhor Gin. It's like drinking Hai Karate aftershave (don't ask how I know).

Sloe Gin doesn't taste like gin. It tastes like Sloe Gin, depending on how much sugar you add it will be either sweet or dry or somewhere in the middle. Drinking it can be akin to bubba settin on the stoop drinking shine. Done right it will blow your head off but in a nice way. The stuff you can buy in the supermarkets isn't as potent as home made stuff and you can use the cheapest smartprice gin, you don't need anything more to add berries and sugar to.

I used 1lb sugar to 1kg of sloes to 1 litre of vodka :crazy:

How will that come out ???

Send it to me and I'll tell you in a few months. ??? ??? :hmm:

Might be a bit sweet. Maybe 8 oz would have been a start point then add a bit at a time every week when you stir it until you like it.

Edited by DaveK

Send it to me and I'll tell you in a few months. ???:hmm::crazy:

Might be a bit sweet. Maybe 8 oz would have been a start point then add a bit at a time every week when you stir it until you like it.

Stir it ??? ??? I shook it up every day for the first two weeks and only once a week since ???

Stir it :crazy::hmm: I shook it up every day for the first two weeks and only once a week since ???

Same difference. Depends what you're storing it in. I do mine in plastic tubs with pop on lids, then decant them into bottles once they're a bit further on.

Same difference. Depends what you're storing it in. I do mine in plastic tubs with pop on lids, then decant them into bottles once they're a bit further on.

They're in 5L demijohns for now with those little evaporation container things on top that brewers use :crazy:

Come November now i'll decant through cotton or muslin cloth into clean jugs and bottle up (corked) and leave til xmas :hmm:

Edited by taffygun

I wouldn't want to spoil the experience for you.

I absolutely abhor Gin. It's like drinking Hai Karate aftershave (don't ask how I know).

Sloe Gin doesn't taste like gin. It tastes like Sloe Gin, depending on how much sugar you add it will be either sweet or dry or somewhere in the middle. Drinking it can be akin to bubba settin on the stoop drinking shine. Done right it will blow your head off but in a nice way. The stuff you can buy in the supermarkets isn't as potent as home made stuff and you can use the cheapest smartprice gin, you don't need anything more to add berries and sugar to.

Right, in that case I think I'll be giving it a go.

Ta muchly :yes:

ZB

Zapp, I don't mind Gin it isn't my favourite drink by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like home made sloe gin.

I would only use good Gin, I know a lot people say it makes no difference, but I can't see the point in leaving something for a year only for it to be a disappointment. GIGO and all that.

Try a bottle of Plymouth Sloe gin from the shops that is closest thing to home made, see if you like that, Gordon's isn't all that at all.

Mind you need to be out on a frosty day to feel the benefit of it, so you will just have to imagine that on a rainy day in July.

I have used Tanqueray in the past when I could get it cheap, but used Plymouth last time round and results were excellent.

And yes, after the disappointment of last years fruit, this year looks like a vintage year, and that goes for damsons as well :yes:

Zapp, I don't mind Gin it isn't my favourite drink by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like home made sloe gin.

I would only use good Gin, I know a lot people say it makes no difference, but I can't see the point in leaving something for a year only for it to be a disappointment. GIGO and all that.

Try a bottle of Plymouth Sloe gin from the shops that is closest thing to home made, see if you like that, Gordon's isn't all that at all.

Mind you need to be out on a frosty day to feel the benefit of it, so you will just have to imagine that on a rainy day in July.

I have used Tanqueray in the past when I could get it cheap, but used Plymouth last time round and results were excellent.

And yes, after the disappointment of last years fruit, this year looks like a vintage year, and that goes for damsons as well :yes:

Nice one Stuart, I will give that a go I think. I'd hate to end up with a gallon of undrinkable (due to my own gin related gayness) sloe gin.

ZB

i've still got about half a bottle from last year, i assume it would still be ok to drink?

No it will be like strong vinegar.

Send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely. I'll PM you my address :yes::good::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should be ready to blow your head off so get it drunk. :P

been making it for years. the best ive done is throw a 1/2lb bag of chopped almonds in with the sloes and sugar to give it a really mellow nutty flavour. awesome stuff. :lol::lol:

I did see a recipe with almonds in... the Mrs face lit up when she seen it mumbling something about cyanide having the smell of almonds :yes::good::lol:

I cant drink Gin

It always makes me cry.

So i used to always be the sad girl in the corner at parties.

crying on her best friend shoulder.

Where would we be without best friends. :yes:

We didnt get to make any last year .

As their where none to be found.

But the year before that we had a good harvest of berries

unfortunately we drunk it all too. :good:

So roll on this year.

I dont think we will add so much sugar this year .

Though it was very nice.

We could have very easy have sold it as

Sweepys cough mixture.

So this year we might see if we can have a bit more bit too it.

xxxSuzy

I was meant to do this last year and forgot. Are those Demijohns ok to use? Sure my dad still has a load.

I'm googling it now but any recommended web pages so i can have a read up?

Just do a search on here and google certainly gave me some really good info. There's loads on the net but all really follow the same basic recipe of fruit, sugar and spirits an a variety of combinations.

Other good ones are sloe vodka, raspberry vodka and bramble vodka. I'm not keen on vodka but these beasties really float my boat, especially the rapberry one. Use cheap stuff. I use Asda smartprice.

Markio, it would be a shame to waste your dads demijohns. Get them filled and share the love :yes:

morrisons do a good gin for making sloe gin its 44% proof.

the better your gin the better the finished product.

I put the sloes in the freezer for 24 hrs it saves pricking then

then use sealable jars.

1 kilo sloes to 1 pound sugar for me. then cover with gin.

I also put 1/2 dozen skinned almonds in half my jars gives a different flavour nice.

I leave all the lot in jars for 12 months or more.

then filter into bottles and hide them.

If you want to sweeten one of these concoctions it is easier to do so with sugar syrup, rather than spooning in the dry stuff. You can make your own syrup by dissolving suagr in a saucepan with very little water. I forget the correct ratio now, but it is surprising how little water you need to dissolve sugar when hot. Just don't go too far and end up with caramel.

I made elderberry vodka, which tasted almost medicinal at first, but a bit more sugar syrup, and a year in a cupboard and it now tastes like some of those herbal liquors, really nice.