Baiting for Foxes?

Frenchieboy

Has anyone tried "baiting" for foxes, i.e. Using bits of shot rabbits to encourage foxes to a small area that you want them in to ensure a safe shot at them? I have a small situation where this might be necessary (If practical) and would welcome any advice on the matter.

yep done that before and works well just leave some rabbits in the same spot each evening for 3 or 4 days then have a sit out assuming they are being taken. Odds are at last light foxy will appear. I've done it when foxes have been reluctant to come out of standing crops to get them in an open area and being creatures of habit it can work well

I am doing this at the moment, I left a couple of rabbits yesterday evening, I will go back later and check if they have gone.

Is the general recommendation to open them up? or just leave them, as shot?

I have had success with this method and now have a farm who happily leave a carcase in a certain field close to a high seat, the return per carcase is in the region of 4/5 foxes over a week, we then clear up whats left.

I would open up the rabbit leaving plenty of paunch exposed to the air,and peg it to get Charlie used to hanging about abit and not snatching up the bait and running off, but only do this as light falls due to the corvids rapidly scoffing it during daylight hours if you bait up in the morning.

Be sure to work out your range to the bait point and have a few practice rounds to ensure you do the business on the night.

Recently I have been using a PIR indicator, it does work and saves straining the eyes or flicking the lamp around to see if Mr Fox is at the bait.

Good luck it has become my favourite way of coming to terms with Charlie.

Rgds D2D.

now is the time to try it with so many fairly naive cubs about. We're overrun with them at the moment, would have had one last night but shooting downhill over long rape stubble at last light we only spotted it when it was 20 feet right in front of my truck. putting the binoculars down I hit the handbrake and it heard it and spooked. i could have kicked myself but hey I'll get it another night

I always stake my baits down into the mud with a metal spike...

This allows me to ensure that foxy can't just run off with it, and I can also inspect it to ensure that it is Fox and not simply a BOP, Cat, Badger etc

+1, i always stake any bait down,unless i,m putting a considerable amount out,i.e. shot crows etc.

Have also put sand around to observe any prints left when the ground is dry.

You could also use the clock/battery method to determine what time he/she is visiting..

Clock method..taken from athread found on here.

Hello make sure you get foxy/draw foxy into open for a clear shot & time to pick it up visually.I waited till second night & found fox had been & again next night i have just baited it again & plan to go tonight.Clock method is a small quiet battery clock say AA size bat.You leave the back open & tie some light line/string etc round the battery & check it pull's out ok.Leave the string/line etc about 6-15ft long & tie to bat & other to a rabbit for bait leg & cover as useal.Then all you do is check next day & if foxy's been back & pulled the battery it stop's the time fox did it.You can repeat 2-3 time's to get an average time.Only use this method once foxy is at bait regular.I have never had bother with badger's doing this but check the pad mark's to make sure it's foxy.

Thanks for all of the useful replies, hints and tips Guys! I will start "baiting" this evening. My main concern was getting the foxes in to a position that was open and safe to shoot. I have a deep gully in mind that I know the local foxes use as a regular run so will try there as it offers one of the safest shots possible (should I miss) with a perfectly safe back drop. This gully will give me a good line of sight at a range of about 50 to 60 yards and still leave me in plenty of cover so that Charlie will not see me or the barrel of my 22-250. (Hopefully the gully will muffle the sound of the shot too as I do not have a moderator for this gun yet.) Then all that remains is to wait for the right wind directions. In the mean time, whilst I get Charlie interested in his "ready meals" I might well just keep an eye on things for a week or so with my camera. If I get any joy I will post a few photos!

Once again, thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you for help!! :good::good:

Edited by Frenchieboy

dont get caught baiting , it is actually illeagal :good:?:good:, but iit woks :good:

I never new that. Can you post a link to anywhere official that says it please?

BTW dog kibble mixed in with a tin of cheap sardines and scattered round the baiting area gets their interest. And they have to hang about and forage for the food, so plenty chance of shooting them.

How long after laying out bait does that area take to recover from the human scent that would have been laid?

I assume that would depend on how used they are to human traffic, but bunnies seem to get over it in about ten minutes on my land.

I left it an hour last night before getting into position - is that long enough?

invest in a trap no need for strings and batterys and clocks and hanging around waiting i just go too mine first thing in the morn and there old foxy is sat there looking sorry for him self and i just dispatch him with the .17 in the head a trap can cost around £100 £140 a lot of money i know but worth the money have had mine about two years and had 70 fox's i normaly use a minging mackeral good look in what you do m8 :yes:

There seems yo be a question as to if baiting for foxes to encourage them into a safe shooting position is legal or illegal. Please can someone shed some light in the subject as I do not want to fall foul of the law? I value the advice I am given by forum members but it does make things difficult when we get conflicting information.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Frenchieboy

There seems yo be a question as to if baiting for foxes to encourage them into a safe shooting position is legal or illegal. Please can someone shed some light in the subject as I do not want to fall foul of the law? I value the advice I am given by forum members but it does make things difficult when we get conflicting information.

Thanks guys!

if you use whole sheep, cows, deer, horses you'll get nicked.

A few rabbits, pigeons, table scraps, dog food, sardines you'll be ok :yes: