Springer Groups

Markio

What sort of groups would you find acceptable from a springer air rifle at 30 yards?

Not had much practice with my BSA springer but i'm trying to sort that out and was having a play last night. Was happy at 20 yards, so i thought i'd move on to 30 yards for the first time, re-zero the vertical for that distance then continue practising. Well after working the scope up to my point of aim i left the scope well alone and continued to try and get some sort of groups. I was less than impressed with myself.

Now, i realise i need to keep working on it but what sort of groups can i expect to get at 30 yards from a springer with a good pellet match and a decent person behind the trigger? i.e. what am i working towards that is within the realms of realism a springer air rifle?

It was pretty still yesterday evening where i was. I was getting 1" groups, plus a few fliers.

I have one of those bi-pods, makes a hell of a difference.

Well i must say 1" groups doesn't sound particularly tight to me, certainly not considering bunny headshots.

What sort of groups would you find acceptable from a springer air rifle at 30 yards?

Not had much practice with my BSA springer but i'm trying to sort that out and was having a play last night. Was happy at 20 yards, so i thought i'd move on to 30 yards for the first time, re-zero the vertical for that distance then continue practising. Well after working the scope up to my point of aim i left the scope well alone and continued to try and get some sort of groups. I was less than impressed with myself.

Now, i realise i need to keep working on it but what sort of groups can i expect to get at 30 yards from a springer with a good pellet match and a decent person behind the trigger? i.e. what am i working towards that is within the realms of realism a springer air rifle?

Just out of interest, how much did you need to change in elevation for a zero at 20yards to 30yards. I got mine zeroed at 25yards and have been missing bunnies at not much over that so decided to re-do them at 35 but couldn't really find anything to change. I decided it's just me missing.

Edited by Colster

Just out of interest, how much did you need to change in elevation for a zero at 20yards to 30yards. I got mine zeroed at 25yards and have been missing bunnies at not much over that so decided to re-do them at 35 but couldn't really find anything to change. I decided it's just me missing.

Upload Chairgun2 its a good ballistics program. It can help with finding your pellet path with power and weight. Its an easy program to use and is quite useful and suprsing! After finding your results try it on a range and its an eye opener.

Carbon

I found it was quite a lot, the pellets dropped 1" to 2" from 20 to 30 yards.

That depends on your setup and calibre. What have you got?

Lol - know that feeling mate!

Edited by FarmerB

when zeroed at 20, the pellet with drop 0.96 inches so the programme says. This a .22 AA Field pellet at 11.5ft/lbs.

Be better to zero at about 30. When zeroed at 30, there is a 2 inch drop out to 40 yards, so I am told.

Edited by George1990

Do you know the muzzle energy of that rifle?

It is highly likely that 20 yards is right about the top of the trajectory, and by 30 yards you will indeed have dropped almost two inches from that figure.

If you go to the Hawke website and download Chairgun you can run simulations of all of this, and with a correct chrono reading, and the scope height and pellet weights all put together it will graph as near as dammit the trajectory of your set-up. It will also help to choose the best zero point for own gun, the Optimum Zero. For my own .22 set-up that figure is 27 yards.

A few people told me a bipod on a springer is a big no-no but I found my groupings imrpoved by quite a margin when I attached my stock mounted Harris. Any thoughts?

I'd heard the same but the cheap clip on barrel mount bi-pod certainly helped me immensely at 20 yards (had no practised 30 yards before using it so can't comment there).

Just been for a bit of target practice with my mate Eddie and we're both consistently hitting under 1 inch groups at over 30 yards using the Milbro Caledonian Dome's that came with the rifle when I bought it second hand. Better still with the RWS Superpoints.

Mike

Edited by smiiithy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...