Home made NO SHINE decoy covers

Cosd

How much did they cost to make fella ??

The material cost me nothing to be honest because my mother in law works in the fashion trade so she bought me a few metres home of left overs from work. The elastic is pennies, and some paint, grey primer spray for the initial dust over to give more of an uneven colour rather than a solid grey (£4), then some matt black spray (£5) for the wings and tail, a small pot of white enamel (£3.50) for the neck and wing bars, and two tiny model tins of yellow and orange for the beak and eyes (£1 each).

But I have enough paint to do dozens more, so the cost of each one, I'd say less than £1 each decoy if you had to buy the material.

You should start making some to sell on here :good: say about £2 each :good: if you do i'll take 10 lol :good: :look:

The truth is I have thought about it, but they do take time to finish. Patterns are done so cutting out isn't an issue. The sticthing up of the elastic has to be done and thats it; But the painting is what takes time, because each one is hand painted and you have to let them dry between coats. And they need 2 or 3 coats as the material absorbs the paint. Also I'd need to test them over a while, they won't come apart but the paint needs to be put through it's paces for longetivity. I wouldn't want to sell them then the paint comes off after a dozen uses!!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am really pleased with them, I have another 12 ready for when I buy another dozen shells to put them on.

I'm also working on making Hyperflaps, all the components are ready barring the mount, I'll post pictures and results soon.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am really pleased with them, I have another 12 ready for when I buy another dozen shells to put them on.

I'm also working on making Hyperflaps, all the components are ready barring the mount, I'll post pictures and results soon.

Well done Cosd, they really do look good and if the Hyperflaps are to the same standard

you'll have the makings of a nice little earner :good: Good luck. Rob.

Well done Cosd, they really do look good and if the Hyperflaps are to the same standard

you'll have the makings of a nice little earner :good: Good luck. Rob.

Thanks again for the comments.

Though I did give it a thought to produce these for sale, the time involved using current methods means they wouldn't be cost effective bearing in mind the Sillosock covers are about £3.50 if I remember correctly. I haven't seen them in the flesh but they do look decent; The reason I didn't buy them was that I didn't want to be taking them on and off the shells every time, and unless you stack the shells, a dozen take up a load of space in the kit bag, hence I designed these.

So far the home made Hyper looks good, the real test will be on the field. If I get time tonight I might put a post up with some photos showing stage by stage.

cosd, those deek covers look fantastic, far more realistic than a flocked deek, you wouldnt even need a deek to put them on just something that shape, cut out from a bottle or something similar, i'd pay £2.50 each i reckon if they were for sale

well dome mate :good::oops::hmm:

mikee

Edited by mikee

2 for my electric freddie flappers please Cos :oops:

I have two saved for you mate, a small gesture of 'thanks' for taking me out shooting. Even though we only took one shot between us for the day. Watching you collapse in your seat in the ditch made it all worth it :good: