knife sharpener

terry b

It aint pocket sized or convenient, but the Lanski sharpening system will give you such a good edge you wont need to worry about a top up.

:yes:

Best sharpener i have found, gives a razor sharp edge, any decent knife will keep for an age. If you have to sharpen your knife again when out you may need to look at a new knife.

i've just been introduced to Diamond Steels - they put an amazing edge on a knife but they ain't small.

http://www.russums-shop.co.uk/products-Dia...-10in_KT032.htm

i do have a bladetech, which as stated works well with thin blades (but it also chomps through them very quickly)

Edited by nickbeardo

I don't know if I bought a duff one, but I can't get on with my blade tech at all. It takes an awful lot of metal off the blade and doesn't seem to put a particularly good edge on it :P

It takes a bit more effort, but a small Arkansas oil stone is my favourite method.

Edited by Blunderbuss

The request was for a pocket sized sharpener, I think given the requirements my suggestion for the DC4 is the best solution. It'll do many sizes of blade, thick or thin blades, carbon, stainless or hardened steel, it doesn't chomp massive bits of your blade, it can be used to remove nicks and dinks, the edge it gives is superior and long lasting, it doesn't need lubrication, it stays flat so you won't get an uneven bevel it's not ridiculously expensive. The trouble with the blade tech is that it doesn't cope with thick blades and gives a sawtooth rough edge that is sure to dull within a few uses.

The DC4 is a pocket sized, cost effective sharpener that gives a razor edge and is used by people that rely on a sharp knife almost everyday of their lives, Ray Mears, Lars Falt et al...

Edited by mick miller

I don't know if I bought a duff one, but I can't get on with my blade tech at all. It takes an awful lot of metal off the blade and doesn't seem to put a particularly good edge on it :)

It takes a bit more effort, but a small Arkansas oil stone is my favourite method.

The Blade-Tech is a pocket sized sharpener with some limitations. I have found that using moderate force does a quick sharpen job with less loss of steel than occurs when being too forceful. I agree that the edge is not great and can be better achieved by oilstone and leather strop. Use it with a good support behind it. A wooden fence post behind, allows a full sweep of the blade through the tool with no danger of damage to the point.

Pocket or utility knives can be maintained easily but I think for the more expensive hunting knives a less abrasive process should be used. :good: Rob.