Surviving

Shuck.

After reading Rascal_2005's thread about survival gear, it reminded me how much I wanted to have a go at this survival lark. :yes::lol:

Main questions are what are the legalities of it all, basically - Where can I go to cut down branches to build a hut, collect water from trees, boil slugs, hunt and and roast takings over a fire, etc. Legally?

Can you just go out and do a 'Bear Grylls' if you fins a suitable spot or does one have to find a specified location for such activities, and where would one start to look?

Genuinely interested after years of watching survival programs. Cheers in advance :look:

You can be reasonably sure that any land is owned by somebody, whether it is an individual, corporation, authority, or organisation.

Its probably best to find a general area and then make enquiries as to who the landowner is.

Then ask for permission, etc.

If you just set forth in the UK, start to tear down trees, light fires and cull the local slugs, its probable that you will be charged with several offences before sunset.

Its tough being a pioneer. :look:

You can be reasonably sure that any land is owned by somebody, whether it is an individual, corporation, authority, or organisation.

Its probably best to find a general area and then make enquiries as to who the landowner is.

Then ask for permission, etc.

If you just set forth in the UK, start to tear down trees, light fires and cull the local slugs, its probable that you will be charged with several offences before sunset.

Its tough being a pioneer. :look:

Right.. Sounds like it's going to be a lot harder then finding shooting permission.. :yes:

If I can't convince a farmer to let me shoot Pigeon on his field I doubt anyone else would let me live like a wildman in their precious land :lol:

Maybe I was destined to just watch it on the telly :P

Where can I go to cut down branches to build a hut, collect water from trees, boil slugs, hunt and and roast takings over a fire, etc. Legally?

Afghanistan :look:

Or go and join the Army or Royal Marines and they'll make you do it on the North Yorkshire Moors or Dartmoor whether you want to or not. They'll even let you take a gun with you as well, but with no ammo :yes:

Cheers

do you want to do your own thing? you could go on one of those survival courses?

I'd prefer to do my own thing but in the end realizing I won't find anywhere to go I'll end up doing a course :look:

Didn't originally warm to the idea of a course as I was afraid the gritty stuff would be left out!

Any recommendations in mind if I go down that route?

You could declare yourself a *****, then do as you likey!

It's very rare you'll be prosecuted for damage, litter, poaching, theft, no vehicle exise licence, etc. BUT if the likes of Tony Martin shoots at you, there will be hoardes of ethnic lawyers crowding to defend you and you'll be rich!

Edit: Typing error.

Edited by Floating Chamber

I'd prefer to do my own thing but in the end realizing I won't find anywhere to go I'll end up doing a course :look:

Didn't originally warm to the idea of a course as I was afraid the gritty stuff would be left out!

Any recommendations in mind if I go down that route?

You boys make the flight over here.. I will drop you off in the Blue ridge and learn you how to take a Bear with just a knife :yes:

Rascal I got the impression you were all packed up and ready from your post mate, I was going to ask you :lol:

I wouldn't mind just setting off with nothing but a knife and seeing how far I got.. :look:

Lee sounds interesting :yes: might get a course with mike Hawk while I'm over there

Rascal I got the impression you were all packed up and ready from your post mate, I was going to ask you :lol:

I wouldn't mind just setting off with nothing but a knife and seeing how far I got.. :look:

Lee sounds interesting :yes: might get a course with mike Hawk while I'm over there

WHY!! I can survive on nothing more than Cat fish and shine :P

You boys make the flight over here.. I will drop you off in the Blue ridge and learn you how to take a Bear with just a knife :P

a knife?! :o

wimp! katya's brother taught me how to do it with a shoe lace and some chewing gum... :/

about half a mile before the cops arrested you :P:lol:

no seriousley keep us posted, would be interesting to do something like that :lol:

In my role as a farm manager, I get occasional requests from Walting survivalist types to 'basha up' in our woods. Having spent time in the military, I can't see why civvies choose to camp out 200m from a main road, just to sit there freezing on a February night whilst munching dolefully on rat-pack food, and fantasising about sweaty assignations with Ray Mears. Said Walts invariably leave the place festooned with litter, after traipsing back to their Land Rover (which must be bristling with sand ladders and bash plates) at first light, looking like death warmed up.

And that's the people we allow to set up camp. The stealth Walts are much worse, particularly when they disrupt my lamping and stalking forays, or request help freeing their Waltmobile from a boggy field.

On a more cheery note, we willingly play host to local CCF and TA units.

Try asking your local wildlife trust and offer a donation in return. As long as you promise not to ruin any big trees and clear up after yourself they are usually very helpful. Cutting the odd bit of Hazel for a shelter will be doing them a favour!

Right, I s'pose I could give Baggeridge a call.. probably wouldn't warm to me eating their wildlife, mind :ermm:

Good idea though, if I'd indeed watched more Ray Mears in the flora consummation front and could survive on plants etc, then it would be spot on. :oops:

In my role as a farm manager, I get occasional requests from Walting survivalist types to 'basha up' in our woods. Having spent time in the military, I can't see why civvies choose to camp out 200m from a main road, just to sit there freezing on a February night whilst munching dolefully on rat-pack food, and fantasising about sweaty assignations with Ray Mears. Said Walts invariably leave the place festooned with litter, after traipsing back to their Land Rover (which must be bristling with sand ladders and bash plates) at first light, looking like death warmed up.

And that's the people we allow to set up camp. The stealth Walts are much worse, particularly when they disrupt my lamping and stalking forays, or request help freeing their Waltmobile from a boggy field.

On a more cheery note, we willingly play host to local CCF and TA units.

Right this is the second post that's recommended the armed forces :hmm:

Theres always a few to ruin it though eh? What kind of litter are they known for leaving?

Do you mean stuff like ashy fire pits, animal carcasses and broken trees or more along the lines of.. Canned rations, fecal matter and grot mags? :ermm:

Right this is the second post that's recommended the armed forces :ermm:

Theres always a few to ruin it though eh? What kind of litter are they known for leaving?

Do you mean stuff like ashy fire pits, animal carcasses and broken trees or more along the lines of.. Canned rations, fecal matter and grot mags? :oops:

I have yet to see any evidence of animal carcasses - I think the Walts like the idea of trapping their supper, but baulk at the practical reality of squirrel charred over a hexy burner. Fire pits are the immediate giveaway that we've been visited by nocturnal Walts. We get lots of interesting stuff left around, plus the rather less interesting (but seemingly obligatory) faecal matter, often wrapped in cling film. Most prevalent are ration packs (they always leave the Biscuits Brown), fuel bottles, oddments of paracord, gloves, grot/Combat & Survival mags, random bits of Combat 95 kit and headtorches. Some of the less unpleasant things I have found and claimed are a Terra Nova tent, an Arcteryx jacket and enough roll mats to make myself a padded cell.

Edit: I forgot the sodding airsoft paraphernalia. Walting with BB guns goes hand in hand with faux-combat camping. So we often see BB pellets dotted around.

Edited by Baldrick

I have yet to see any evidence of animal carcasses - I think the Walts like the idea of trapping their supper, but baulk at the practical reality of squirrel charred over a hexy burner. Fire pits are the immediate giveaway that we've been visited by nocturnal Walts. We get lots of interesting stuff left around, plus the rather less interesting (but seemingly obligatory) faecal matter, often wrapped in cling film. Most prevalent are ration packs (they always leave the Biscuits Brown), fuel bottles, oddments of paracord, gloves, grot/Combat & Survival mags, random bits of Combat 95 kit and headtorches. Some of the less unpleasant things I have found and claimed are a Terra Nova tent, an Arcteryx jacket and enough roll mats to make myself a padded cell.

Edit: I forgot the sodding airsoft paraphernalia. Walting with BB guns goes hand in hand with faux-combat camping. So we often see BB pellets dotted around.

its definitely not the ccf then - all youd be picking up is empty vodka bottles and the odd durex wrapper :oops:

..fuel bottles, oddments of paracord, gloves, grot/Combat & Survival mags..

Not.... those ones? :ermm:

Honest I'll be leaving my kit at home (because I have none). I reckon I could get a den sorted out, improvise a fishing rod etc.. cook on a rock, how hard could it be, really?

:oops:

Not.... those ones? :ermm:

Honest I'll be leaving my kit at home (because I have none). I reckon I could get a den sorted out, improvise a fishing rod etc.. cook on a rock, how hard could it be, really?

:oops:

More difficult than you think. I'd stay at home in the warm if I was you, and avoid the risks of boredom, malnutrition, irate farmers/keepers and vodka-fuelled teenage nyphos.

More difficult than you think. I'd stay at home in the warm if I was you, and avoid the risks of boredom, malnutrition, irate farmers/keepers and vodka-fuelled teenage nyphos.

Maybe I've just gotta try it myself to see how boring it is.. Just can't grasp how SURVIVAL in the WOODS can be boring :oops:

I think a farm would have to be my last choice, however, as I wouldn't be able to get into the 'hunt and gather to survive' ethos if I could hear cars and stuff whizzing past.. Scotland might be the best bet :ermm: