Boar shoting caliber?

stevethevanman

Hi guys,

I have been offered some boar shooting in Turkey would you believe and at current only have a 243 winchester and, bettinsoli shotgun that could be remotely suitable. The guy that has invited me says that they can get to 30 meters of the boars.

Well I know some people can load heavy buckshot or slugs into their shotguns, but I dont relaly want to be applying for slugs as they are useless for anything else apart from boar.

So I was thinking of maybe SSG in the heaviest load?

But I am scepticle about the .243, so I would like something a little bigger.

None of the boar are driven, underlever rifles are pretty popular out there and these come ine 45/70 and 30/30 flavours...but would like advice on a dedicated boar rifle...advice from people with experience on shooting boar would also be welcome.

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

I wouldn't suggest the .243 as a great choice, but I've seen a few nice hogs shot with them in California. Since you mentioned the .30-30, and many are used here in France for driven hunts by local farmers, they have much less kinetic energy than a 243. If you compare a 150 gr. 30-30 with a 100 gr .243, you'll see.

Now the 45-70... that's a whole different story. Slugs are probably the least expensive solution.

If the shots are close and it is not driven shooting, the 243 might be worth thinking about.

Just a thought.

just found this but at the range you are on about i would use slugs.

calibermaximum rangeminimum bullet wt. ∓mp; makeplacement capacity22-250150 yds55 fmj hand loaded at max vel.1,2220 swift200 yds55 fmj hand loaded to max vel.1,2243 win300 yds100 grn1,2270 win300 yds150 grn1,2,3280 rem300 yds150 grn1,2,37mm magn/a150-170 grn1,2,3,430-30 win100 yds150-180 grns1,2,3 or 4 close308n/a180 grn1,2,3, or 4 close30-06n/a180-200 grn1,2,3 ,4300 win magsame180-200 grn1,2,3,4338 magjust hit'em375 magscare'm to deathcheers scott www.texasboars.com/hunting/huntingtips.html

Edited by mr salt

My 2p.

1. don't use a solid slug, they are not accurate - I took a FAC Extrema2 last year on the Boars and it was hap hazard to say the least

2. get a rifle - best bet, get rid of your .243 and get a .270; it does everything

I am taking a .308 rifle this year and it's a bit of a shame because it's a calibre I don't really need or use - I was thinking of trimming the cabinet contents down and getting a single .270 all rounder.

Mind you, if you start the "all round calibre debate" then you will bring out the 6.5x55 and .308 die hards.

There you go.

hi what about the rifled slugs think they are called brenickers(spelling)

or fabarm and berretta do over and under rifles.

cheers scott

Just one thing how do you take the gun,

i.e do you drive or fly.

If you fly what the hells it like try to take a gun and does it just end up with all the other baggage at the end?

in latvia i was using a baikal o/u 12ga with solid slugs, but unless i was going to use it at very close range it would have been useless (and would you want to get within 30 yards of a boar?!). the gf's brother used an sks to great effect (7.62*39) so ill be buying one out there and leaving it on his ticket at some point.

one thing i would say is dont go for sg buckshot, only when you skin and butcher a boar carcass do you realise how tough they are - find out what the locals use and go for something similar, theres normally a reason why they use it :stupid:

Mind you, if you start the "all round calibre debate" then you will bring out the 6.5x55 and .308 die hards.

They are all misguided fools - the .30-06 reigns supreme as the best all-rounder. Mungler's suggestion of a .270 (moderated, where possible) is a cracking one. I have both calibres, but usually pick the former for boar and Plains game.

A 220gr bullet from a .30-06 at 30m will do a very final job.

My 2p.

1. don't use a solid slug, they are not accurate - I took a FAC Extrema2 last year on the Boars and it was hap hazard to say the least

2. get a rifle - best bet, get rid of your .243 and get a .270; it does everything

I am taking a .308 rifle this year and it's a bit of a shame because it's a calibre I don't really need or use - I was thinking of trimming the cabinet contents down and getting a single .270 all rounder.

There you go.

The 150 grain .308 . The jack of all trades calibre and master of them all . My next choice ,as mungler says the mighty .270 .

Harnser .

please can anyone tell me .

If you go boar shooting and want to take your own gun,how do you do it?

i.e

getting the gun there?

do you have to drive?

or can it be put on a plane?

What about ammo and certs etc.?

Sounds like a nightmare.

Do you have to phone police in each country /airport.?

Would be much easier to use one of there guns!

cheers

scott

theres a video on the net of an american shooting the mossberg trophy slugster shotgun with a telescopic sight , hitting a matchbox at 100yds with a slug. it is a rifled barrel gun and its obviously a dedicated piece of kit but i have used slugs on big boar in oz and they work very very well but keep the range to forty yds or below.

theres a video on the net of an american shooting the mossberg trophy slugster shotgun with a telescopic sight , hitting a matchbox at 100yds with a slug. it is a rifled barrel gun and its obviously a dedicated piece of kit but i have used slugs on big boar in oz and they work very very well but keep the range to forty yds or below.

A rifled slug barrel gives a very different result to those you get with Brenneke slugs from a smoothbore barrel (even if you use a rifled multichoke). I've shot a custom slug gun that put 10 sabot slugs in a 4" circle at 180 yards, and I am sure many Yanks have guns that can easily beat that.

I have shot several white tail bucks in new york state with a rifled slug gun . The power is awesome on deer and more than enough accuracy up to 100 yards . The very first deer I shot in the states was with a bog standard remi 1100 that I bought over there to bring back . I killed it clean at 40 yards whilst it was on the move through the wood .

Harnser .