Vintage/unrestricted moped

Pedro

I'm after a moped for the boy to get him a bit more mobile.

These scooter thingys just don't seem too safe to me with their lack of speed, hence the topic title.

Ideally it needs to be a runner, but I'm more than happy to do a bit of work if necessary.

Anything not too far from Essex considered.

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

P.

Not got anything, but seriously looked into getting a 'ped' when I turned 16.

If your Boy is 16 then sadly (and stupidly) the health and safetey wombles have decided 31MPH, and 50CC is more than enough for any minor to ride, obviously bikes can be bored out and de-restricted but the points and fine for having this done are a bit off putting. You could argue that he will never be pulled over, but a friend at school who put an after market air filter on to make his bike sound meatier has been pulled over so often he removed it because of the hassel.

best of luck finding him something as I am sure its great fun to have one.

Not got anything, but seriously looked into getting a 'ped' when I turned 16.

If your Boy is 16 then sadly (and stupidly) the health and safetey wombles have decided 31MPH, and 50CC is more than enough for any minor to ride, obviously bikes can be bored out and de-restricted but the points and fine for having this done are a bit off putting. You could argue that he will never be pulled over, but a friend at school who put an after market air filter on to make his bike sound meatier has been pulled over so often he removed it because of the hassel.

best of luck finding him something as I am sure its great fun to have one.

I know of someone who swapped out the 49cc for a 140cc and got pulled over :rolleyes:

Good luck withyou hunt though.

I don't like the scooters either. Nasty unstable horrible things they are :blush: If he's 16 then is restricted to the 31mph as LIBS said but something like an old Yamaha DT 50 or similar would be ok, at least they have a proper wheel size!! and can be easily de-restricted once past 17. :rolleyes:

Good peds seem to be worth a bit these days.

I saw a crowd gathered in a high street near me so went to see what the fuss was, expecting to see a Lambo or something similar.

In the gap between 2 cars was what can only be descibed as a concours Gilera and a Fantic Motor :rolleyes:

Good luck with your search.

a word of warning, my brother now 17 has his cbt and rides a moped, when you turn 17 you can ride a 125 with l plates on a cbt, but to ride a moped that has been deristricted "made to do more than 31 mph" you need to hold a full car licence! also it has to be inshured as a motorcycle and not a moped, now this is coming from the traffic oficer who stoped him, the trouble is kids dont get taught this law so him and all his friends and pretty much all 16 year olds, me included a few years ago deristrict the bike as soon as possible, so all the kids doing it have no inshurance in theory, im well into my bikes and i didnt even realise this, he was very lucky they gave him a producer and a warning because he was one of the first they had stoped under the new national crackdown on moped riders,

i agree 30mph is dangorous, get him a jhon deere 7920 and an 18tone bailies trailer instead lol they dont seem to mind that at 16.

Edited by petrol_head29

Budget of probably about £500, (probably deluding myself, but hey!), I was hoping to get a ropey one, then do it up with the boys help, just to get him used to using spanners a bit.

Having watched him mend a puncture the other day, he needs all the help he can get - it was painful :good:

Must admit, I was out of touch with 'ped laws :good: , and this is looking more and more like a doomed project from the start.

Still, no harm in trying.

P.

I think the old Bay of E will be your friend, there's quite a few of the old type peds on for some decent prices.

Yamaha FS1E or DT50

Suzuki AP50 or ER50

Honda SS50 or MT5

Kawasaki AR50

Oh the memories from my youth are flooding back when I typed those names, keep an eye out for any of those peds.

All of those (except the Honda SS50) are 2 strokes so reasonbly easy to work on for your lad.

All the 50cc peds are a danger to themselves.

The break point (for enough to speed to keep up with town traffic) was the classic Honda C90; the ped that made China what it is today. A classic.

EDIT:

When at school someone had something that was like a C90 (pretty sure it was a Honda) but it was a true step through scooter - it wasn't a Vespa or Lambretta type affair; it was rather reliable.

All the kids that has the FSEs spent their weekends rebuilding the engines and covered in "instant gasket in a tube".

Ah happy days

Edited by Mungler

Yamaha FS1E or an old RD50 :):good: :good: When I was a lad I had a Honda MB50 that could do 60 on the flat :good: Had to rebuild the engine every 2/3 months though :good: piston, rings, rebore & crank bearings (bet I could still do it with my eyes shut) :good: :good: :yes: