No place to make a hide

Cosd

How do you guys set up when the area the pigeons are feeding is on a field with no natural border like trees or a hedge?

Last outing (though not great) I set up on the border of a stubble field (where pigeons were feeding) on the adjoining field which wasn't cut. The crop was about 3 feet tall, with the net set on it's lowest setting on the poles which still stood higher than the crop.

I felt exposed from behind (no wise cracks) and from above.

I use a stealth net and or a scrim net with hide poles.....

How do you guys set up when the area the pigeons are feeding is on a field with no natural border like trees or a hedge?

Last outing (though not great) I set up on the border of a stubble field (where pigeons were feeding) on the adjoining field which wasn't cut. The crop was about 3 feet tall, with the net set on it's lowest setting on the poles which still stood higher than the crop.

I felt exposed from behind (no wise cracks) and from above.

I use a stealth net and or a scrim net with hide poles.....

You could place it a few days in advance to the wildlife gets use to it?

Or make a hide from bales if the farmer is happy with it.

you could try to set up under the flight line to the field where there is a bit of cover and try to draw the birds close enough to get a shot, i shot on monday 1/2 a mile from where the birds were feeding but got under a flight line and managed 61 in 3 hours, its not always best tying to shoot where you see the birds feeding as they will generally come to coys anywhere on a field that they want to be on, youve got to get to where they are flying not where they are feeding.

hopefully some of the top pigeon shooters on the site will post but imho youve always got to find the flight lines to really do any good.

hope this helps

mikee

A big fishing brolly is the boy . Set the brolly up with the back to the wind and put a net behind the brolly and a net in front of the brolly . Set the nets high at the sides for side cover and set the front net out about 2 feet from the rim of the brolly soo that you can stand up to soot if you want to . Sit back under the brolly and you will have top cover and side cover . I have one of the brollys with sides on it and it makes a fabulous hide that I have often used in the middle of a field . These big brollys are big enough for two guns and a couple of dogs . Will keep the rain and wind off you and make shooting more pleasurable .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

A big fishing brolly is the boy . Set the brolly up with the back to the wind and put a net behind the brolly and a net in front of the brolly . Set the nets high at the sides for side cover and set the front net out about 2 feet from the rim of the brolly soo that you can stand up to soot if you want to . Sit back under the brolly and you will have top cover and side cover . I have one of the brollys with sides on it and it makes a fabulous hide that I have often used in the middle of a field . These big brollys are big enough for two guns and a couple of dogs . Will keep the rain and wind off you and make shooting more pleasurable .

Harnser .

When I've encountered this in the past on wheat or rape I use a fishing brolly and cover it in a suitable camo green or dessert sand and this has worked well in the past. I then shoot of a stool or bucket with a rotating top.

Good Shooting

Pigeon Controller

Image004.jpg

:hmm: :look:

Also using some vegetation as a type of stencil,........................... lightly spray paint over the vegetation on the brolly using matte colours, light browns, sandy etc :look:

Ive often set up on the edge of blown patches.

Idea is to blend into your back ground, I have even done this ghillied up.................without a hide, MOVEMENT gentlemen.........remember this pointer.

The hide thats shown in the picutre stands out like a sore thumb..........Not many farmers will be too happy with you digging in Henry D.......but double check as they may allow it........I remember seeing an article in one of the shooting comics a year or so ago, bloke more or less dug a fire trench........Can just see my farmer being happy as his tractor falls into a pit......

Keep your hide as low as possible....you dont need to stand to shoot.. you can do it on your knees. an overhead hide with firing slots between your sticks will suffice. crouch down, and just give yourself enough room to kneel up to take the shot, it wont be comfy, but it will do the job.l

Stealth net in stubble pattern is great for doing this with. Encorporated with the blown down sections of the crop and its job done.

Ive often set up on the edge of blown patches.

Idea is to blend into your back ground, I have even done this ghillied up.................without a hide, MOVEMENT gentlemen.........remember this pointer.

The hide thats shown in the picutre stands out like a sore thumb..........Not many farmers will be too happy with you digging in Henry D.......but double check as they may allow it........I remember seeing an article in one of the shooting comics a year or so ago, bloke more or less dug a fire trench........Can just see my farmer being happy as his tractor falls into a pit......

Keep your hide as low as possible....you dont need to stand to shoot.. you can do it on your knees. an overhead hide with firing slots between your sticks will suffice. crouch down, and just give yourself enough room to kneel up to take the shot, it wont be comfy, but it will do the job.l

Stealth net in stubble pattern is great for doing this with. Encorporated with the blown down sections of the crop and its job done.

The question was ''How do you guys set up when the area the pigeons are feeding is on a field with no natural border like trees or a hedge?''

So a hide in the middle of a field will stick out like a sore thumb, however, it conceals your MOVEMENT and breaks up your shape :look:

I shoot mainly in the open and from a sitting down position, which means I can have a lower profile hide, which usually has a very low front.

In the last few months I have tried shooting sitting on the ground, which reduces the profile even more.

To make this comfortable I have bought a purpose made item with a padded seat and back.

My friend uses a folding garden chair and doesn't unfold the legs, just the back.

You do have to get up and move about every now and then, or your legs get stiff being straight out in front of you, but its surprising how often you have to get up anyway, to pick up dead birds, rearrange decoys, etc.

I have been surprised how much difference it makes, its well worth a try.