did we get a shock or what

viking

was out pigeon shooting on thursday with a mate in saxon west yorkshire, it was a bit of a slow day on the sloping pea field, we were half way down the slope with the potato field to our right, earlier on in the day we had seen this massive chinook helicopter go over a few fields in front, anyway were both just sat there peeping through the net when there was this strange noise, as it got close you could tell it was a helicopter, but not a normal one, i said to my mate, that sounds close, might put some birds up, it was getting louder and louder and closer and closer, i said to my mate it might be the police, someone might of reported us, so we stood up and looked up the slop towards the potatoe field, the sound was unreal, the **** me, BANG, out came this mother ******

i dont ming telling you that i nearly **** myself, i swear it must of only been 10 yards over us, and it came directly over our hide, it was one hell of an awsome sight, wish to god id of had my camera with me. its not every day an apache longbow attack helicopter flyes over your head, now obviously these arnt my pictures, i get them off t web,

Edited by viking

I saw three of these flying in formation about a year ago, probably about 1/4 of a mile away Awesome sight :rolleyes:

I was always under the impression that many are still stored at RAF Shawbury (about 11-12 miles away as the crow flys) but I've only seen them once. We get the regular Yellow/Black squirrel helicopters flying round here almost every day and sometimes they do low passes at midnight :good:

Edited by ShropshireJohn

Now that would impress the ladies. :yes:

Better then some flash motor .

With the big exhaust

That sounds like its about to drop off.

We get a lot of army helicopters

Over are house (usually at night) :good:

If i see them during the day i always give them a little wave. :blink: :lol:

xxxxSuzy

Same as Mrs 9r, she goes all "wobbly" if she see's an army/RAF jet or heli fly by :lol::yes:

One of my shoots includes land just off Dishforth airfield. The damned critters come over all the time. You're not even safe at night. What decoys do you use for them? I prefer calling them in with the sillosocks "Osama" wingless ones.

:good: stick a balaclava on a scarecrow :yes:

think its been a weekend for choppers. a gazelle flew over the house on friday night, and yesterday we saw an agusta 109 buzzing about the area we were in... :blink:

while out lamping a few years ago , a very quite military chopper ( could,nt tell which one ) hoverd above me , boy was it spooky , so quite .

the doors/bays where open and i could see straight through it , in side i could see a couple of chaps looking down at me wearing night vision goggles ( green eyes glowing ).

thing is i never even heard it approach :blink:

made the hairs on back of my neck stick right up :yes:

Edited by darren m

while out lamping a few years ago , a very quite military chopper ( could,nt tell which one ) hoverd above me , boy was it spooky , so quite .

the doors/bays where open and i could see straight through it , in side i could see a couple of chaps looking down at me wearing night vision goggles ( green eyes glowing ).

thing is i never even heard it approach :good:

made the hairs on back of my neck stick right up :yes:

an american pave hawk, they've got fancy blades that cut down on the noise :blink:

If any of you lads would like to knowa little bit more about these or in fact how hard it is to fly them, then have a read of either Apache or Hellfire by Ed Macy.

Brilliant reads, he's a good writer aswell.

Believe it or not, these guys have to learn to move and use both eyes independantly of one another!

I'd love to see one fly past, but havent as yet been so lucky.

regards, Ash

nowhere is safe from the air force (or air corp) any more, had a trio of GR9 Harriers make a low and fast flypast yesterday

not to mention the close encounter with a US air force F/A 18 in june in the scottish highlands

:blink:

SS. it was on the news, those jets were emptying someones ashes over county fermanagh, talking about a way to go :yes:

If any of you lads would like to knowa little bit more about these or in fact how hard it is to fly them, then have a read of either Apache or Hellfire by Ed Macy.

Brilliant reads, he's a good writer aswell.

Believe it or not, these guys have to learn to move and use both eyes independantly of one another!

I'd love to see one fly past, but havent as yet been so lucky.

regards, Ash

read them both :blink:

was lucky enough to see an apache buzzing about the place about 8 years ago, cant remember where it was but think it was near raf benson :yes:

Thats easy-too much alcohol does that. :yes:

Very often i get C130 transport planes circling low over where i shoot cos apparently they're serviced by Marshalls at nearby Cambridge,but the most annoying thing is the Police chopper as its often so low i can see the occupants.

Having an Apache buzz ya tops everything though!!!

used to fish the clyde many moons ago.out on a boat you did,nt even here them coming,tornado,s,jaguars but best of all were the buccaneers that used you as targets.as the american admmiral said during the war games as his fleet was blown out of the water.what the fu,k was that.

regards, Ash

I do field target and I can now look down the scope with my one eye and I am constatly looking around for changes in wind with my other don't know how I do it it just seemed to happen one day.

anyway had 2 encounters with these the first was in Oxford on the M40 was diving in the lorry and when I looked over the hedge could see a apache following the m-way about 150-200 foot away, second was up north we were driving alond side hadrian's wall and there was one over the hills next thing it was coming towards us and following us tavelling sidewards, we were the only vehicle on the road for miles so can only assume it was practicing locking on to a moving target (us).

they are a awsome sight very intimadating