Norma ammo?

Just wanted the general opinion on this. Got the old man to pick up some bullets for me whilst he was in town. 1 box of Norma .22-250 were £34.50 and 1 box of Norma .270 bullets were £42.99 :oops: is this the going rate or is this shop shafting us? I know .270 bullets can be expensive but I was expecting the .250 bullets to be less than that!

Doesn't give much incentive for range practice.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way save the brass its cracking stuff and well sought after, dealers will often charge more for that which doesn't move fast and less for stuff that flies off the shelf. To be fair that's just making a living, would you prefer they didn't stock slow selling items as they are not cost effective to them? The dealer might have had to purchase 1000 or more and that's a lot of cash to have sitting around for long, he might well sell 10x as many 22-250 and buy accordingly

Either way save the brass its cracking stuff and well sought after, dealers will often charge more for that which doesn't move fast and less for stuff that flies off the shelf. To be fair that's just making a living, would you prefer they didn't stock slow selling items as they are not cost effective to them? The dealer might have had to purchase 1000 or more and that's a lot of cash to have sitting around for long, he might well sell 10x as many 22-250 and buy accordingly

Cheers Kent :good: I'll keep the brass,(saving up for when I eventually get into reloading). I would have thought vmax in .22-250 would be one of the more popular choices? Granted its not a .243 but its not an uncommon round.

Just thinking about it, 3 shots just to confirm a zero,(that's without needing any adjustments) is £6 down the drain :oops: no cheap

Cheers Kent :good: I'll keep the brass,(saving up for when I eventually get into reloading). I would have thought vmax in .22-250 would be one of the more popular choices? Granted its not a .243 but its not an uncommon round.

Just thinking about it, 3 shots just to confirm a zero,(that's without needing any adjustments) is £6 down the drain :oops: no cheap

well it largely depends on were you live but 22-250 is far more used in the uk. How much did the fuel cost to take you to the venue? .270 aint a plinking rifle so use a full box of 20 to get it zeroed and get the feel of the thing then go shoot twenty deer with the next box

Back years ago when the Kynoch brand was about all you could routinely buy somebody started importing Norma. It was clearly better than the Kynoch stuff and it soon aquired a mythical status as being top notch ammunition. People would only use Norma but part of the reason became snobbery. In reality its not sold very much in America because the Americans don't rate it that highly but when it is the prices are not significantly higher than other brands.

Strangely, it still has that reputation although I don't think its justified anymore but there is a thing about using it, espescially on the snobby highland estates. I doubt it shoots any better than Privi at about £14 a box in reality.

Edited by Vince Green

Back years ago when the Kynoch brand was about all you could routinely buy somebody started importing Norma. It was clearly better than the Kynoch stuff and it soon aquired a mythical status as being top notch ammunition. People would only use Norma but part of the reason became snobbery. In reality its not sold very much in America because the Americans don't rate it that highly but when it is the prices are not significantly higher than other brands.

Strangely, it still has that reputation although I don't think its justified anymore but there is a thing about using it, espescially on the snobby highland estates. I doubt it shoots any better than Privi at about £14 a box in reality.

I think you will find that Norma is a better quality rnd than Privi and there is a saying' you get what you pay for'. My early experiences with manufactured ammo were not good regarding ppu, was inconsistant, even the report was differant with each and every shot. My rifle liked sako or Rws, that was over 30 quid a box, I soon found that I could reload for less than a third of that price and have accurate,consistant ammo that was always in stock. But that was my exerience and many on here say that ppu shoots very well so really you have to balance what your rifle likes and what is available, until you start reloading you are governed by whats local and how accurate you want in the way of accuracy. The onlly other alternative is to hike up your allowance and stock up when you can find the ammo you require at a better price.

Were the heck did you get that gem from? Norma rates above Lapua in desired brass quality- its just criticised for its cost! That's all over the US benchrest forums 6mmbr etc, its also world renowned as a factory ammo producer for large and dangerous game. Privi is largely pants but it might well outshoot some people in which case they wouldn't notice any difference and extol its virtues based on it being very cheap, doubtless some guns like it, doubtless it drops a few deer and foxes.

sorry to de-rail this thread a little but norma rounds in 223 would people reccomend soft point or ballistic tip for foxing?

The outwards look of a bullet means little " ballistic tip" is a trade mark of Nosler and taken in general most just think polymer tipped, "Soft point" is just an exposed lead tip. Either bullet type can be of fast fragmenting or slower expanding type, it depends on the jacket thickness etc. how they behave and impact speed. Generally its quite hard to pick a bullet unsuited to fox in the .223 rem, check out bullet manufacturrs web sites for further guidence

The outwards look of a bullet means little " ballistic tip" is a trade mark of Nosler and taken in general most just think polymer tipped, "Soft point" is just an exposed lead tip. Either bullet type can be of fast fragmenting or slower expanding type, it depends on the jacket thickness etc. how they behave and impact speed. Generally its quite hard to pick a bullet unsuited to fox in the .223 rem, check out bullet manufacturrs web sites for further guidence

Thanks guys..

im useing sako arrow head at the moment but was thinking if i get to go after some munty in the near futcher are the ballistic tips suitable or when i run out of the sako should i re zero with norma soft points and stick with that for fox and munty...

I think you will find that Norma is a better quality rnd than Privi and there is a saying' you get what you pay for'. My early experiences with manufactured ammo were not good regarding ppu, was inconsistant, even the report was differant with each and every shot. My rifle liked sako or Rws, that was over 30 quid a box, I soon found that I could reload for less than a third of that price and have accurate,consistant ammo that was always in stock. But that was my exerience and many on here say that ppu shoots very well so really you have to balance what your rifle likes and what is available, until you start reloading you are governed by whats local and how accurate you want in the way of accuracy. The onlly other alternative is to hike up your allowance and stock up when you can find the ammo you require at a better price.

On Wednesday I will be on the 600yds range at Bisley and I will be shooting PPU .308 Match. I have been using it for over four years now and so do the majority of the people I shoot with. If it was inconsistant I simply wouldn't use it, I don't have any brand loyalty and its not an issue of price, some of the people I shoot with are worth millions. One of the people I will be with was the Chairman and Managing Director of a blue chip Multinational Company. Thats the beauty of Bisley its egalitarian. Another man I shoot with is a Lord, but he doesn't tell anybody, I only found out when I dealt with his FAC renewal.

The 5.56mm boys love PPU with a passion, they will tell you its the best no matter what you are comparing it with.

Its is said, I don't know personally, that a lot of the European ammo manufacturers have dramatically shrunk their manufacturing operations, laid off staff and buy in a lot of the components that they used to make themselves simply because its cheaper to buy in those components than manufacture themselves. At the same time the Privi factory has expanded and is full of state of the art machinery so go figure it out.

I think the Northern European ammo manufacturers find themselves greatly disadvantaged by their national employment laws and rates of pay. Its one of the many ways that the EU has shot itself in the foot. When I go to Bisley I could shoot more ammo in one day than a stalker would get through in ten years. If he wants to pay £40 a box for his Norma, where is the harm? He probably pays £200+ for his boots as well for exactly the same reason.

Edited by Vince Green

On Wednesday I will be on the 600yds range at Bisley and I will be shooting PPU .308 Match. I have been using it for over four years now and so do the majority of the people I shoot with. If it was inconsistant I simply wouldn't use it, I don't have any brand loyalty and its not an issue of price, some of the people I shoot with are worth millions. One of the people I will be with was the Chairman and Managing Director of a blue chip Multinational Company. Thats the beauty of Bisley its egalitarian.

The 5.56mm boys love PPU with a passion, they will tell you its the best no matter what you are comparing it with.

Its is said, I don't know personally, that a lot of the European ammo manufacturers have dramatically shrunk their manufacturing operations, laid off staff and buy in a lot of the components that they used to make themselves simply because its cheaper to buy in those components than manufacture themselves. At the same time the Privi factory has expanded and is full of state of the art machinery so go figure it out.

I think the

Vince what price are you paying for the .308 match as i think i will be tring some in my new rifle

pc1

Vince what price are you paying for the .308 match as i think i will be tring some in my new rifle

pc1

Peter Lawman lists .308 Match as £60 / 100 thats 168grn but he also lists 175grn 'ordinary' .308 as £45 / 100 and you may not notice any difference depending on your twist. I don't buy from Peter though generally. I buy from this man

http://www.tfsa.co.uk/index.html

He's about 5 miles north of Bisley but on my way, his prices are about the same as Peter more or less. He also used to sell CCI Blazer .22 for £19.95 a brick but not recently. There is also a dealer who gets down to Bisley for all the big events who often sits in a tent outside. If he is there I zoom in on him because he is very cheap, I buy ammo, powder primers or whatever. His name is Ian and his company is ITL shooting supplies

www.itlshootingsupplies.co.uk

Edited by Vince Green