Illegal or Legal?

Magazines are NOT component parts.............end of. Everyone from the Home Office, many members of Pigeon Watch to the CPS have deemed this correct.

It beggars belief that people who own, use or advise those who do cannot understand the simple words written in the firearms act.

In Northern Ireland magazines are component parts and listed in firearms order 2004 (ammended). Mainland they are not considered component parts. Hope this helps some confusion.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have already said check your certificate conditions . My conditions state that the firearm must be unloaded (that includes the magazine )going to the range and back. So I assume if I ignored that and was caught I would be in trouble. That is on a range firearm having a loaded mag going from one shoot to another could be different. I had another look at my certificate the condition only applies to the handguns not my .22 rifle. So probably different to the rest of the UK.

Correct. As my post above states different regulations for different legislation areas.

In Northern Ireland magazines are component parts and listed in firearms order 2004 (ammended). Mainland they are not considered component parts. Hope this helps some confusion.

No confusion chap, we were discussing firearm laws in England and Wales, not NI which has completely different laws.

• 1 month later...

Extract taken from legislation.gov.uk - click

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F1(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

This would suggest that is doesn't matter whether your air rifle is 'loaded' or not.............as long as you have a reasonable excuse to have it in public. It follows then that it doesnt matter whether your magazine is loaded or not.

Edited by peek-at

No confusion chap, we were discussing firearm laws in England and Wales, not NI which has completely different laws.

As people travel back and forward between England and N Ireland shooting, would it not be useful for some to know the regulations regards ammo and magazines in both. Chap.

Edited by ordnance

Can't understand why you would need to carry full magazines and can't believe this has gone on for six pages.if it is not illegal then it should be and why would you need to jump out of your car like die hard this is a sport people it's not war.

Can't understand why you would need to carry full magazines and can't believe this has gone on for six pages.if it is not illegal then it should be and why would you need to jump out of your car like die hard this is a sport people it's not war.

I also can't believe this has gone on for so long. The question was is it illegal,and the answer is no but you still get people saying it should be and comparing carrying a loaded mag to a made up Hollywood guts and all movie!

I also can't believe this has gone on for so long. The question was is it illegal,and the answer is no but you still get people saying it should be and comparing carrying a loaded mag to a made up Hollywood guts and all movie!

Sako, not seen any of you excellent photo's of late mate, whats up.

Reggiegun

Sako, not seen any of you excellent photo's of late mate, whats up.

Reggiegun

All fine fella,wee bit busy but hopefully will have a free spell now.Plenty of roe doon and sorting oot a couple of new ponds for the ducks so will get roond to putting a few pics up,or maybe do a whole year in one thread,lol.

All fine fella,wee bit busy but hopefully will have a free spell now.Plenty of roe doon and sorting oot a couple of new ponds for the ducks so will get roond to putting a few pics up,or maybe do a whole year in one thread,lol.

good to see you back Dave..hope things are good up your way, me and reggigun were discussing your absence in my back garden the other night..

So we are in agreement.

Lets put it a different way then.

A magazine is not a component part of a firearm.

A loaded magazine is still not a component part of a firearm

BUT

if you are in possession of a loaded magazine, the firearm itself is considered to be loaded.

Why have all these posts,why don't the person in question just phone BASC surly they would have the answer to his(her) question, one phone call one answer rather than page after page thanks vince

Because, young Vince, this is Pigeonwatch and our experts know far more about firearms law than FEO's, BASC, SACS, NGO and any other shooting organisation.

Your suggestion is far too common sensical to be considered. :whistling::yes::P

I thought this topic had been put to bed....6 pages!

My .22rf magazine is always loaded for the simple reason I keep it loaded when using it and when our lamping session is finished the magazine is dropped out and the round from the chamber added to those still in the magazine. This goes in my ammo cabinet and then next time I use it, it is taken from the cabinet and shoved in my slip along with the rifle and other ammo.

My CF magazine is emptied when I finish a session with that for the simple reason I care more for the spring in that magazine than I do for the rf mag'. Nothing to do with rolling from the vehicle like 'die hard' at all. The suggestion is ridiculous; anyone tried rolling from a moving Landrover with a loaded rifle aka 'Hollywood style'?

Can anyone give one good reason why they think it should be illegal to travel with a loaded magazine?