Cost of dive bottle charge

Rst1990

It's a suppliers Market Place - I am sure no one is making a Killing on Filling diving bottles

My Local Dive Shop has a £10,000 second hand compressor and Storeage bottles and Charges £10.00 to Fill any 300 Bar bottle

Always moaning how much it costs to run - with staff - Always busy as there is no other place for many miles around

If it was profitable more Shops would install them - I only get my 12. Litres Filled - even @ £10.00 still pennies a shot -

BOB/R

How much does it cost to have a bottle tested? Does it cost more for larger bottles, or is it a standard fee regardless of size assuming no remedial work needs to be done?

This depends upon if it is due for a visual or hydraulic test...if it has scuba valve fitted. Visual around £20-£25, hydraulic

£30-£40 approx.

How much does it cost to have a bottle tested? Does it cost more for larger bottles, or is it a standard fee regardless of size assuming no remedial work needs to be done?

It's between £32 and £40 in / around Swindon from the two places I contacted. Size didn't matter but the valve type did (surface or scuba).

Went to a dive shop during the week to get my 3ltr 300bar bottle filled as it was just down the road from where I was working.

Once charged the guy handed it over to me and asked for payment which was £10 which I said to him was well over the top as I only pay £4 at my local, his reply was you should have asked how much it was before he filled it!!!

My question is how much are you guys paying for a charge?

is the shop name similar to the title of a james bond film??

Bottle Testing Depends if done in House or sent Off

Like Diving / Fill Shops there are less and less Test Centres each year

Most Places I have visited have Charges in Large Letters near Pumps -

Your Fault if No asking before Bottle Filled -

BOB/R

It's between £32 and £40 in / around Swindon from the two places I contacted. Size didn't matter but the valve type did (surface or scuba).

Thanks for the info.

Looks like my local dive shop charge 25 for visual, and 35 for a hydraulic test. From what I can see, you need a Visual ever 2.5 years, and a hydraulic every 5 years. Over time, that can add up to quite a bit.

If you have a Air Gun Head - it's Every Five years - As can not be used in Water

Where a Din is every 2 Years

It is financially better to buy a Air Gun Head or have one fitted - Especially when a Steel Air bottle can outlive it's owner -

Does seem unfair to Air Gunners as most keep Air in them @ All times - trouble with Divers is they often run low and moisture get's into tank

Resulting in Rust & Tanks Blowing up - Reason Why Tests are required -

My Dive Shop have several bottles that failed - Divers and show them as examples - Gives me even more respect for 300 Bar preassure

BOB/R

If you have a Air Gun Head - it's Every Five years - As can not be used in Water

Where a Din is every 2 Years

It is financially better to buy a Air Gun Head or have one fitted - Especially when a Steel Air bottle can outlive it's owner -

Does seem unfair to Air Gunners as most keep Air in them @ All times - trouble with Divers is they often run low and moisture get's into tank

Resulting in Rust & Tanks Blowing up - Reason Why Tests are required -

My Dive Shop have several bottles that failed - Divers and show them as examples - Gives me even more respect for 300 Bar preassure

BOB/R

Din is only a type of valve fitting using a thread to connect the fitting to the valve...DIN is the German ( ISO ) standard

Where a A Clamp or Yoke fitting is a second type of valve fitting, usually 232 bar....

There are DIN valves which convert to A clamp as the depth of thread is shorter than a dedicated 300 bar valve which a A Clamp wont fit over...

DIN valves are used where higher pressures are required ie 300 bar, this is due to its mechanical strength...

The testing times have nothing to do with what type of valve you have fitted, UNLESS it is for surface use only as you stated....

Din tanks are popular in TEC diving/caving etc as there is less chance ( as in an A Clamp taking a hit and breaking the seal)

Disadvantage's of them is if the valve takes a knock with out a fitting in, then the fitting will nip as a the thread will have been bruised...

When I worked in Egypt my DIN plug tap and go/no go gauge paid for its self a 100 times over as I would dress the thread of all the tanks which were out of service....

Divers spend far more money on there refills, tanks servicing, kit, and typically own a number of cylinders, compared to the air gunner who only wants a dive fill and will spend his cash at the gun shop...

I worked in a dive shop for a long time testing tanks, servicing valves, filling tanks for air gunners ( actually met to mates who I shoot with as they used to come in for air gun fills)

I used to cut the old o rings in half, as one old air gunner would pick them up off the bench!! (even as I would give them new spare ones foc!!)

TEH

We used to recommend a 7 ltr steel 300 bar bottle as they are not that heavy and have a good head of pressure ratio for the size...

Gun at fill pressure say 200 bar, full tank @ 300 bar equates to a 100 bar of top end pressure ( head) to use up before you start to equal out on the top end of your gun @ 200 bar....

So glad I have a centre fire rifle.....lol

TEH

We used to recommend a 7 ltr steel 300 bar bottle as they are not that heavy and have a good head of pressure ratio for the size...

Gun at fill pressure say 200 bar, full tank @ 300 bar equates to a 100 bar of top end pressure ( head) to use up before you start to equal out on the top end of your gun @ 200 bar....

So glad I have a centre fire rifle.....lol

TEH

But the ammo is cheaper on the PCP and you don't have to keep it in the safe. :rolleyes:

But the ammo is cheaper on the PCP and you don't have to keep it in the safe. :rolleyes:

That it may be.....however neck shot red/fallow deer are £2.80 a kg and a 95 grain round = £ 1.35.....

So a lowland Red around 100 kg dressed comes in a £ 280.00 - £1.35....= lots of airgun ammo and air fill........... :oops:

Far more fun than having the club official with his/her badges checking your piece of paper with there....spy glass :whistling:

TEH