Remington 700

Grandalf

Had an Rem 700 SPS in .223 and I routed out the plastic ribs in the fore-end and then epoxied a strip of o1 steel into it. No trouble in shooting off a bipod after that.

You don't really need a router as a couple of minutes with a sharp chisel is easy enough.

Oh I also filled the butt up with P40 ( watch out it gets ........ing hot ) which also made the rifle a little heavier at the shoulder end and helped a bit with the balance.

Always strange these 700 threads as there are differing views.

I have a 700 SPS Stainless in .308, now, there is no getting away from the fact the stock is far from great, but mine consistently does everything I want, and almost exclusively on a bipod as well.

Mine has the X Mark Pro trigger and a P8 Compact on the end, I had about 3" cut off the barrel day one, but it is 100% standard other than that, and the joy is it delivers PRVI 150g SP to 1" all day, for my uses that is fine!

Just hope it still works as well when it comes back from Riflecraft on trigger recall!

:good:

Had a 700 BDL in .243 some years ago; one of my favourite rifles and one of the best looking of all time in my opinion. Would only group with 100 grainers but I shot many foxes and deer with it while I had it. The only thing it lacks is a box magazine as standard, apart from that, cracking rifle.

Fister, and all the others, thanks for all the comments.

I am going to purchase the musket.

700 SPS with 24" barrel. It's a trade in to my RFD and has got a T8 can and a Leopold 3-10x50 on it at the moment.

Doing a bit of stalking these days so need an addition to my Tikka 22/250 that I use for foxing. (Wonderful weapon but a tadge heavy for lugging around).

Interesting comments about the front end. Have to see how I get on.

No one said anything terrible about it - and that's rare on these forums.

Fister knows I am Mr Average shot personified so the gun should do me well.

I'd steer clear of short barrelled 243's, many arent technically deer legal. 20" isnt terrible but id steer towards 22/24" be preference. Its amazing how many that i try wont make the energy levels required with factory ammo.

ooooops sorry.......it's 223

And yes I made that mistake of cutting my T3 .243 down to 18" and then found that no matter what weight of bullet/powder I tried I could never make it past 1600-1650 ME.

In the end chose to buy a .308 but still use the T3 for fox.

Edited by Gemini

Fister, and all the others, thanks for all the comments.

I am going to purchase the musket.

700 SPS with 24" barrel. It's a trade in to my RFD and has got a T8 can and a Leopold 3-10x50 on it at the moment.

Doing a bit of stalking these days so need an addition to my Tikka 22/250 that I use for foxing. (Wonderful weapon but a tadge heavy for lugging around).

Interesting comments about the front end. Have to see how I get on.

No one said anything terrible about it - and that's rare on these forums.

Fister knows I am Mr Average shot personified so the gun should do me well.

Gandalf, just take a look at "The Essex Hunter" he has the same rifle, will answer your questions

Purchase complete.

Mounted 3-10x50 Leopold that I already had. Mounts on rifle were good for the larger scope. The rig looks good.

Fired two shots into the ditch bank and it went bang - twice.

All this is a good start.

Looked at the fore end that Fister was on about - I see what you mean - Quite flimsy.

Got a couple of boxes of Hornady 58gr and one of 100gr to zero and compare.

No time to zero yesterday - Hope to get out today.

Will let you know how I get on.

The weather stayed OK but the wind was very gusty. Managed to find a safe spot straight down the wind with a good backstop and got to work.

Ended up with a thumbnail size group of three shots at 100 yards. Considering it was on the bipod using my landrover bonnet as a bench-rest - I was very happy with the results.

Don't like the platform magazine very much - Suppose I will get used to it.

Glad I made the purchase.

In my book a non detachable one. Where the rounds have to be loaded through the breach by pushing them down through the 'platform'.

It can be modified to a accuray international mag but you will need a new bottom metal and someone to fit it mate. Fister knows his stuff on this proses.

Gandalf, just take a look at "The Essex Hunter" he has the same rifle, will answer your questions

I am free................Love the plastic stock, never noticed it flexing etc as I am too busy looking down the scope shooting!!

Mine is as it was out the box....I found 75 grain Remington accui-tips, also there 95's go in the same hole.

To add the 95's are savage.

I just wipe it down, pull the barrel through, clean the crown face ( gently ) and that is it...

Buy one again in a heart beat, plastic stock included...

TEH