Milton Keynes Getting permissions - where to try any advice?

maskedhunter

Hello All at PW! :)

I have tried allot of different.. what i would call odder places to ask for permission to shoot / de-pest and oddly they all seem to be contracted to someone.... and i was wondering if that someone was to be on these forums, maybe he would spot this from the title? . . . Very long shot but hey! Can only try and see what happens.

Campbell park, willen lake, and a few other places are covered same as Gulliver theme park ( although they are going to get back to me on weather he'd mind me doing some free ratting there for them when hes not there ( who ever the he is, she said they would get back to me soon and she cant see why not if I'm not asking to be paid... :) i was hoping to maybe get hold of one of the guys who are already doing allot of the establishments local to me and if he wouldn't mind me either going along with him or if he could help me find places he hasn't got time to cover if it is the case, if not i understand.. not everyone needs/ wants help or people mustering in on there turf.

I now know about hanslope and Bedford for shooting targets and will be going most likely to hanslope this weekend if i can get up there. saying that as you can see I'm looking to do a little rat hunting or what other else i can get!! Also had the pleasure of being informed about pheasant beating and Imo all up for getting started on that get to know some people on here will be great!!!

Regards,

Matt.

Edited by maskedhunter

Dont know if you have Insurance? But if not i would get some, not only for the obvious reasons, it is also a good asset/selling point to mention when looking for perms. good luck.

edit: most of the organisations BASC,NGO etc offer free insurance with membership.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Matt, there are a lot of large industrial and commercial premises and warehouses in MK, maybe worth a few phone calls to the estates/maintenance/facilities departments of these outfits and ask if they need any help with dealing with rats or feral pigeons.

They will have contracts with people like Rentokill or Initial for poison bait boxes and such like, but you might strike lucky and find a maintenance manager who is happy for you to do a bit of rat shooting in yards or trailer parks and such like at night or weekends.

Make sure you understand the terms of the general license so you can talk knowledgeably, if you get the chance, about what conditions it would be appropriate to shoot pests like pigeons, that way you sound credible.

Insurance would be an absolute must, but joining the air-gun section of BASC would be a smart move for you anyway and give you access to some less opinionated advice than you maybe got on your other thread.

Best of luck in finding somewhere :)

Matt, there are a lot of large industrial and commercial premises and warehouses in MK, maybe worth a few phone calls to the estates/maintenance/facilities departments of these outfits and ask if they need any help with dealing with rats or feral pigeons.

They will have contracts with people like Rentokill or Initial for poison bait boxes and such like, but you might strike lucky and find a maintenance manager who is happy for you to do a bit of rat shooting in yards or trailer parks and such like at night or weekends.

Make sure you understand the terms of the general license so you can talk knowledgeably, if you get the chance, about what conditions it would be appropriate to shoot pests like pigeons, that way you sound credible.

Insurance would be an absolute must, but joining the air-gun section of BASC would be a smart move for you anyway and give you access to some less opinionated advice than you maybe got on your other thread.

Best of luck in finding somewhere :)

+1,

thanks, Ive Been told about BASC on PW already a few times, just need to wait till i can spare £50 odd pounds for a membership

All that said ive been doing a little bit of that but most are contracted as you say im waiting to hear back from 2 and one said managers in wednesday to call back then! :)

Putting in some real work to try find it.

Also, another odd one.. im getting some serious shine of the end of my barrel whilst looking down the scope is this normal ?, ive tried to zero my scope in best i can, it seems pretty accurate but it dosent feel like its kicking just under 12lbs like the shop said, i have asked if i can bring it in for them to test it...

Is it normal to have difficulty trying to put pellets into the barrel? i find myself having to almost force it in say every 1 in 3 pellets, tried 4 makes of pellet all seem to do it (none do it on my other gun) i have some accu pell atm which i dislike so does my gun to much led rub on my fingers , my least fav so far i must admit. any ways, all moaned out now.

Regards,

Matt!

With an X20 Suppressor I used RWS Superdomes and it seemed to enjoy those.

With regard to zeroing - how are you doing it?

Because, being a springer, you need to allow the gusto recoil or else you will pull the shot each time and won't get the results you are looking for. Some of the much wiser PW chaps on here can help more with regard to zeroing a springer effectively.

Power wise, it's obviously hard to check over the internet, but what range are you shooting at? What makes you think it's not just under 12 ft lbs?

it doesnt seem to have much kick to it i just expected more for some reason, i guess my old rifles not as bad as i thought, 12 lbs cap sucks haha, does that mean when you have a liscence for shotguns and rifles u can use a air gun with more then 12lbs? or is that only in america etc getting higher LBS air guns that is!

Great news and the start to gaining a round of permissions, I just took a walk and noticed my local estate parish council number, gave it a call and no pest irradication services in play, so i offered mine and now my number is the number which will be handed out to locals who call in for pest problems!! :) nothing majour but a start!

Regards,

Matt.

Which would i pick, air gun or full liscence?

Full membership £69 Husband and Wife / Partner £106 Senior Citizen (over 65) £59 Junior (U21) £23 Gamekeeper £59 Gamekeeper Husband and Wife £90 Student £59 Gundog Member £48 Air Gun Member £48 Air Gun Junior Member (U21) £23 Trade Member £110 Trade/Two £110 Supporter £31 Life Member £1,380

YFC member £35

Regards,

Matt.

Be careful Matt, if you are expecting more kick means more power, for the life of you don't buy a PCP - you'll probably end up testing it on your hand lol (Just a joke).

In honesty, it's not about recoil, it's likely that the X20 is a better tuned gun that you had before which means it's recoil is managed better.

The sub 12ft lb cap doesn't suck at all, many rats, rabbits, pigeons and squirrels have gone down to a .22 or .177 pellet at sun 12 ft lb.'s that you'd ever be able to count. They are where most 'cut their teeth'.

You'll kill a rabbit stone dead with a sub12. (If hit in the right place) which really comes down to careful practise and not rushing into live quarry shooting and learning the craft on targets from a mixture of scenarios and positions first.

If you had a full firearms licence, you could apply for a 'slot' within it that would let you have a full powered air gun, not that it makes a massive difference to you at this stage - no offence to be taken here, but you are very new to it and need to spend some time learning the craft and respect for quarry too before thinking about more power.

Be careful about permissions... local parish council pest eradication services sounds very much like they are for any pest jobs, not just air gun jobs. I.e I am an ex pest controller, there's a lot more than shooting to do for pest control. I.e mice, rats, flies, biting insects, wasps, bees etc... even urban foxes! The only thing to shoot there is a rat... however I doubt many houses in the area would like you sat in their loft for 24 hours shooting in-house rat infestations.

Shooting quarry isn't always just about being good with an airgun. There's much more to it. I.e species identification, learning how to stalk them, we all start somewhere - but patience is important, don't jump in to deep too soon, get a few months at the range under your belt and have a go at some beating.

yeah no i did make it clear what services i was offering, I understand that and i was sure to let them know what i was offering and why, i had some people get abit mardy and some even talk to me like i was asking to have permission to commit a crime! Which again .. to the unknowledgeable i guess i can see it getting a phone call from a guy asking to shoot animals on your land, even though i worded it better then that obviously as carefully as i could some still take it as they want, ive got say 4 people interested and getting back to me soon so my fingers are crossed!

IM joining BASC, Going pheastant beating at silverstone, and going to join the hanslope people for a plink asap, Yeah ive only just learnt about the general liscence i didnt know you could shoot squirels, or rabbits or anything just rats was only common knowledge i had, now ive spent alot of my spare time if not all of it recently looking into the different UK species on PW forums and on google etc! its all very interesting ive found myself out in what little bush area i can find local to me two trying to spot and hunt (without the gun) infact i had a lil stick i was pointing at birds and squirels and most would run or fly when something was pointed at them with a face behind it hadnt noticed how wearey the wild animals are, infact up untill now they have seemed to be so ... cheeky and tame, maybe they can tell im looking at them now compared to before!

Yeah distance 32 ft about 10 yards can fit 5-10 shots in a 10 p peice at this distance but still need to imporve get tips etc ! Practice!!

Regards,

Matt.

Colin,

Ive had alot of good news since ive joined pigeon watch and alot of friendly helpfull people, This has topped it off! thanks mate, whenever your able and ready! Woo rabbit lamping, thats night time shooting i take it ? sounds sweet.

Will be going to hanslope shooting rang this sunday i need to find out if there's fee's or anything for using the range and if so what they are so i know how much to be taking.

I spend quite abit of spare time browsing the forums and youtube, Ive been watching alot of videos on the forums two on shooting rats, pigeons, crows and magpies, rabbits, and foxes ive found out alot about uk wild life that i never even new happend / existed ! very exciting stuff, loving it!.

Regards and many thanks again colin,

Matt.

Colin,

Ive had alot of good news since ive joined pigeon watch and alot of friendly helpfull people, This has topped it off! thanks mate, whenever your able and ready! Woo rabbit lamping, thats night time shooting i take it ? sounds sweet.

Will be going to hanslope shooting rang this sunday i need to find out if there's fee's or anything for using the range and if so what they are so i know how much to be taking.

I spend quite abit of spare time browsing the forums and youtube, Ive been watching alot of videos on the forums two on shooting rats, pigeons, crows and magpies, rabbits, and foxes ive found out alot about uk wild life that i never even new happend / existed ! very exciting stuff, loving it!.

Matt.

Matt

We don't charge for new starters to the club initially we usually suggest people come a few times before they join to see if they like the club. After that membership is £50 per year if you decide to join.

Nip up on Sunday and ask for Andy , Derek or Martin they will help you out.

Cheers Neil

Colin,

Matt.

Good on you fella, knowledge is everything, remember most land owners will know more about this than you, so if you sound clued up, right attitude, insured, you've a better chance.

Don't forget to get your head around the general licences.

Good luck

Matt

We don't charge for new starters to the club initially we usually suggest people come a few times before they join to see if they like the club. After that membership is £50 per year if you decide to join.

Nip up on Sunday and ask for Andy , Derek or Martin they will help you out.

Cheers Neil

Ah brilliant, see this sites so fast to reply aswell its awesome!!

Neil mate ive got a mate and a spare rifle is it okay if he comes with me on sunday two hes interested since hes moving to toaster the other side of hanslope and he wont have much in the way off activitys!

Will ask for them, and will i see you up there :)?

/

Good on you fella, knowledge is everything, remember most land owners will know more about this than you, so if you sound clued up, right attitude, insured, you've a better chance.

Don't forget to get your head around the general licences.

Good luck

Yeah ive got a few hobbys, most come with generall stuff you should know, but this hobbys abit more .. iffy and a need to know so ive got strait onto it as soon as i got the gun! UK gun laws are strict but seem fairly reasonable, more so then i thought before reading up on it properly!, IM trying to read some of the general licences again each day just to familurise myself with it just incase im asked without it at hand to save a trip down the station.

Yeah as soon as i get some pennys insurance is the next thing im getting, ive told my friend whos interested about the stuff im learning and hes going to invest in some insurance so he can come along with me to places once hes learned to shoot since he is a complete rooky atm i am the first to teach him about handling a fire arm etc like keeping the barrel pointed in safe places but hes come along over the past week or so and hes not to bad at 10 yards! so yeah do you think that would be okay, he would be a pigeon watch member but hes currently not got internet in his new house hes moving two. im sure he will say hello once he does.

Regards,

Matt.

Ah brilliant, see this sites so fast to reply aswell its awesome!!

Neil mate ive got a mate and a spare rifle is it okay if he comes with me on sunday two hes interested since hes moving to toaster the other side of hanslope and he wont have much in the way off activitys!

Will ask for them, and will i see you up there :)?

/

Yeah ive got a few hobbys, most come with generall stuff you should know, but this hobbys abit more .. iffy and a need to know so ive got strait onto it as soon as i got the gun! UK gun laws are strict but seem fairly reasonable, more so then i thought before reading up on it properly!, IM trying to read some of the general licences again each day just to familurise myself with it just incase im asked without it at hand to save a trip down the station.

Yeah as soon as i get some pennys insurance is the next thing im getting, ive told my friend whos interested about the stuff im learning and hes going to invest in some insurance so he can come along with me to places once hes learned to shoot since he is a complete rooky atm i am the first to teach him about handling a fire arm etc like keeping the barrel pointed in safe places but hes come along over the past week or so and hes not to bad at 10 yards! so yeah do you think that would be okay, he would be a pigeon watch member but hes currently not got internet in his new house hes moving two. im sure he will say hello once he does.

Regards,

Matt.

You will both be welcome mate.

Matt

Get insurance, as a proxy land owner I wouldn't let anyone on my land without insurance, in your case, you can't afford it at the minute, which means you can't afford to be paying out for damage you 'could' cause whilst out. I wouldn't risk that from a shooter on our land.

It's upmost important, if you really want to get out in the field. It's THE thing I ask for when I do pigeon 'drives', no SGC or insurance, no shooting.

Good luck

Edited by kyska

Thanks for that Kyska, people have said but not realy stressed it that much, does make sence though, so ill get it within the week/ fortnight latest and use the time im waiting to try get some permissions and learn some more and practice :) need to learn about the rifle i need to shoot round some more experienced people to learn, cause everytime somthing happens ive only got my imagination etc to confirm it, like with shooting from down to up my gun seems to suddenly become of target and its only 10 yards so i didnt think it was bullet drop or w.e so much to learn!! :)

Regards,

Matt.

Matt,

Insurance is a definite in reality, Kyska sums it up very well.
However, BASC do a scheme where you can direct debit quarterly, this coupled with the arigun insurance should make things a little easier.
I do the split payments thing too, every little helps.

The pellet will appear to rise and drop… Basically - your scope is a certain amount of height above your barrel (obviously as it's sat on top of it). Draw a line going through the centre of your scope (i.e your cross hair) and that goes on for infinity (for the basis of this explanation anyhow within air gun range)
When you pull the trigger, the pellet will come out, go above the zero point of your scope and drop below it and keep dropping until it ultimately hits the floor.
This is
The pellet will appear to rise and drop due to your scope and the trajectory path of the pellet. This is something that you'll learn with experience i.e how much hold Over and how much hold Under to give targets at varying ranges, the range finding ability is something that takes the time and the hours to practise as this is the most important bit. Can mean the difference between a hit and miss, or worse - wounding. I used to look at an object whilst out walking and guess the range and count my paces up to it etc… helps. As well as range practise (I spent a good 1 year at the Maldon and District Air Gun Club around 45 mins drive from mine, just until I was happy). Then also learning about shooting up and down as this affects the trajectory too.
I drew you a VERY rough picture whilst working just to demonstrate the point about pellet rise and drop. So, if you are zero'd at 10 yards, it should (should being the operative word) be zero'd at 30 too. There are decent trajectory charts, one other one to view is attached as well.

Please be aware that each gun and pellets shoot differently so these charts aren't exactly relevant to you, but give you an idea.

61C0EE1A-92EE-487E-B31F-C276FCA140A1-465

22trajJPG.jpg

Can't emphasise the importance of having proper shooting insurance, can't see anyone letting you shoot without proof of this !

must have missed this, sorry bro! -

The quarterly thing sounds good!-

Yeah i dont understand bullet drop on paper but i feel etc at ranges im good with judging range and drops - although saying that i could do with learning all the stuff in the second picture that looks realy alien to me im not going to act like i know what it all means ive just shot alot over time with air guns so im good at judging distances etc well i think im not to bad haha obviously not nearly as good as half the people on pwn, its shooting at 10 yards, 3 targets lined up next to eachother, far left target i get groupings of 10 in a 10 p peice i can completely remove the 5 and 6 from withini a SMK target, but then a target just right its slightly off and then right one more and its even more off, and its same distance, same pellets, same gun, im even adjusting my seating to get in the same position, i just cant figure it out its realy odd!

Regards,

Matt.

Edited by maskedhunter

What caliber is your gun ?

.22 x20 suppressor (having issues with it asked the gun shop for some help either an exchange or for them to fix it), im sure its the entrance to the barrel it catches on the pellets unlike my other air rifle which doesnt have this problem!

Regards,

Matt.

Edited by maskedhunter